Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dixieclimber

May 5, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #1 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

to all beginners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have noticed that many of you are trying to blend experience with grades and strength. the hardest i ever climbed was V5 and i have only trad 5.6 but this doesnt take away that i have 5 years of climbing under my belt. I admit it i am not a very strong climber but i think that once you learn to climb for fun then you are a true climber.

Partner camhead

May 5, 2003, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Re: to all beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yup. like alex lowe said, "the best climber is the one having the most fun."

keep this in mind. next time you are climbing, just start yelling about HOW MUCH FUN you are having. this will make you better. you can have TONS of fun, and then tell your partners about how much they suck. and then, you can look across the crag at Tommy Caldwell struggling on his 5.16r/x project, and he duzn't look like he's HAVING FUN and you can be like, "hey Tommy! I'm HAVING FUN! YOU SUCK! I'M BETTER THAN YOU!"

the end.

jono

May 5, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #3 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word
ive been climbing since 95 and i suck :lol: i just love to climb.
i only climb 5.10 TR and sport a 5.8. im just now learning trad. but in those years i learned a lot of do's and dont's. one of those things was WEAR A FRICKIN HELMET. not many people do but a few close calls taught me to wear one most of the time even though i only TR and sport.

dixieclimber

May 5, 2003, 2:40 PM
Post #4 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just saw this issue coming up in every other thread and i decided this should be confronted in a different thread.

mhr2000

May 5, 2003, 3:44 PM
Post #5 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My most humbling discovery so far is that becoming an all around good experienced climber should be a long term goal not something you shoot for as quickly as possible. Not that this was ever my plan, but what little I've done so far has made this perfectly clear.

Here is another thought that crosses my mind. As a beginner, 5.9's and 5.10's are going to be a challenge for me. To somebody that climbs 5.10's then 5.11's are going to be a challenge. Going from one grade to the next is pretty much the same level of effort from what I've witnessed. The experienced guys fall and fumble around exactly like me it's just part of advancing no matter how well you climb. My point is, if you aren't having fun at your current level then you will never have fun at any level because it's all the same in the overall scheme of things.

zacrobinson

May 5, 2003, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i disagree with that.

I think that as you get better and can climb somewhat more technical routes, it gets funner. When I first started and I would muscle my way up a easy route, i had some fun, but it was still alot of work. Now when I can climb other routes and when i pull of a certain move using more technique than strength it feels great! When i go back and climb some of the "easier" routes, they are fun becasue i am better and have more room to play on them, try different moves and such, rather than just trying to get up before i get too pumped.
Also, things like leading a climb as opposed to TRing it make it alot more fun for me. It is like climbing a whole different route sometimes.

Partner camhead

May 5, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #7 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damned elitist.

jcain

May 5, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #8 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also climb for the fun of it. In my first year of climbing (three years ago), it was all indoor and I was very focused on advancing in grade.

After that first year, however, I've been mainly bouldering and top-roped climbing outdoors (I'm too cheap to keep paying the gym owner - now I put that money into climbing equipment instead). Since most of the routes I climb aren't rated, I've been more focused on just enjoying the variety that outdoor climbing offers. I've recently begun to practice placing protection, and that has opened up a new world of climbing to me.

I guess the variety of climbing is what does it for me - not the necessarily grades.

curt

May 5, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #9 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have noticed that many of you are trying to blend experience with grades and strength. the hardest i ever climbed was V5 and i have only trad 5.6 but this doesnt take away that i have 5 years of climbing under my belt. I admit it i am not a very strong climber but i think that once you learn to climb for fun then you are a true climber.

I think this is absolutely true. I have been climbing for nearly 25 years and often climb with others having similar experience. On thing we collectively note is that climbers driven by "numbers" rather than a true love of climbing inevitably drop out after a few years. This does not mean that the "numbers" chasers can not become great climbers--many of them do. But, they seem to burn-out after reaching some level beyond which they are not progressing if the true love for climbing is not there. So, having fun is indeed the key.

Curt

runbikeclimb

May 5, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #10 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am very new to climbing, i only do outdor TRing right now, and all the routes i do are not numbered ( i have no idea how to even guess at it). But I find a route i want to try and then focus on getting to the top. I just love being on the rock!! I have been out where my partner looks for the perfect spot, takes and hour or more to set the route up, plan it out.... I just want to scream... "anchor it and let's go!!"

I think that chasing numbers is ok for some people, but you need that passion to get out on the rock and climb until your fingers bleed. When someone asks me what I have climbed-- all i can do is point at a route :) and I am ok with that because I climb to satisfy that little voice inside me (in spite of the numbers).

alpnclmbr1

May 5, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #11 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To me the definition of a true climber is someone who has been around for the last ten years or who is going to be around in another ten years. Makes no difference which one it is.

dixieclimber

May 5, 2003, 5:11 PM
Post #12 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i disagree with that.

I think that as you get better and can climb somewhat more technical routes, it gets funner. When I first started and I would muscle my way up a easy route, i had some fun, but it was still alot of work. Now when I can climb other routes and when i pull of a certain move using more technique than strength it feels great! When i go back and climb some of the "easier" routes, they are fun becasue i am better and have more room to play on them, try different moves and such, rather than just trying to get up before i get too pumped.
Also, things like leading a climb as opposed to TRing it make it alot more fun for me. It is like climbing a whole different route sometimes.
I dont think any thing ever gets "funner." :wink: if you don't enjoy easy stuff then you wont enjoy any thing harder than that. the only way its more fun is by opening up you options to new routes.

zacrobinson

May 5, 2003, 5:45 PM
Post #13 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just sayin......

once I got better, it wasnt quite as much work to get up the wall and I could figure out more of the route rather than just pull myself up.

Now that I have at least a little technique as opposed to the none that I used to have, everything I climb is alot more fun.
catch my drift?

mhr2000

May 5, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #14 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
once I got better, it wasnt quite as much work to get up the wall and I could figure out more of the route rather than just pull myself up.

I believe you are doing exactly what this thread is about, confusing or maybe just blurring the lines between improving physically and improving technically. Most any newbie is going to hate getting over that first physical hurdle of just being able to climb reasonably.

zacrobinson

May 5, 2003, 6:36 PM
Post #15 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah thats probably it

I know that alot of my gains in the first month or so were from just building the physical strength necessary to do any sort of climbing. Then there was a point where I could climb at a certain level for a bit. Then something clicked technique wise and I could do the same climbs but they were much more fun as I wasnt struggling to just get up the wall.

That is the point where I guess you could sa i started climbing and ceased just dragging my 155 lb butt up the wall.
:wink:

xuehui

Jul 23, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #16 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This forum has helped me so much. I have been climbing for two months and was starting to get frustrated with myself. I was able to climb up to a 5.5 in a indoor gym and I was trying to work on a 5.9. I was not making any progress. After I read this forum, I realized that climbing is all about fun.

I climbed again today and I managed to climb my first color route.....and I manage to climb the 5.9 without struggling as much as I did before. I guess a little and a step at a time.

Thanks for this forum!

pikey971

Aug 17, 2005, 1:05 AM
Post #17 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb just for fun but i have to admit that when i get on a really hard climb i get serous to the point of being really frustrated

austinclmbr

Aug 17, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #18 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smile on the way to the wall. I smile on the way out. Every time

Rain or shine
climbing hard or not
sometimes it's 8's
sometimes it's project
the frustration,
exhaustion,
jubilation.

Just smile.

aikibujin

Aug 17, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #19 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have noticed that many of you are trying to blend experience with grades and strength. the hardest i ever climbed was V5 and i have only trad 5.6 but this doesnt take away that i have 5 years of climbing under my belt.

Let me play the devil's advocate and ask this question: is how many years a person has been climbing an indicator of their experience? I see many people use time as a gauge for experience, but how accurate is this gauge?

Let's say there are two climbers. Climber A has been climbing for 10 years, but in these 10 years he averages once a month toproping outside or following someone's lead. Climber B has only been climbing for 5 years, but 4 of these 5 years he has been leading multipitch trad near his limit twice a week (every weekend).

So which climber is more experienced?

In my opinion, "experience" is not measured with one simple factor. You have to take many factors into account: years of climbing, diversity, climbing grade, attitude, etc.

Partner fire_eyes

Aug 17, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #20 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my opinion, "experience" is not measured with one simple factor. You have to take many factors into account: years of climbing, diversity, climbing grade, attitude, etc.

Yep. Well put. Some people live to climb, others make a light hobby of it. I put myself somewhere in between...the first week of July I climbed Mt. Whitney via the mountaineers route, got a little off route at the top and roped up for 4 pitches with my partner. Our original plan was to do the east buttress, but a late start and route finding made it a bad choice for us that day. Point is, I had so much fun on that trip even though I didn't do the route I had originally planned to.

I have found that climbing for me is about the adventure, the comraderie, and most importantly, the view from the top. I love to sit on top of whatever I just climbed and look down. It provides a whole new perspective on the world for me. That's why I climb.

Oh, and I think it's unlikely I'll ever lead harder than 5.9 trad. Mainly since I just don't find the same joy in top roping or sport, so I'll never master the moves necessary. The adventure and top-out gone, thus goes the joy for me.

Every climber is different. Tommy, you rock that 5.16 r/x dude. If bouldering is your thing, then rock on. Sport, trad whatever.

To the haters, sprayers and elitists: karma is a bitch...

To the beginners: find your joy. In climbing or whatever else you love. Rock on!

horseonwheels

Aug 17, 2005, 4:12 AM
Post #21 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that as you get better and can climb somewhat more technical routes, it gets funner.

This is somewhat true, but rather than it being "more fun," I think it is more a function of "more rewarding." More technical routes are generally more aesthetic routes, therefore the anticipation, climbing, and feeling of accomlishment is higher. For example: many splitter cracks are no easier than 5.7/5.8, and to climb them requires techniques of jamming. Personally, I find it more fun to climb those types of routes only because the line is so distinct.

Becoming better techinically also opens up more areas and more routes to you, which can also make the experience more fun. We've all been to places where you have to cherrypick climbs here and there to suit your level. It's more fun to have a greater selection of climbs.

That said, there are days where I want to push myself, and days where I want to do 10 pitches of .5/.6. Both types of days have their place, and all help me to enjoy climbing that much more.

neeg76

Aug 17, 2005, 4:59 AM
Post #22 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

being just an infant to this wonderful sport; progression, experience, knowledge, as with anything enhance an experience. however, a blind love or passion for something so pure doesn't require any level of experience. the motivation, the drive, the love, its there or it just isn't. no 2 ways about it. maybe someday I'll do some insane infinite pitch climb, but until that day comes, I'm happy on my indoor rock climbing gym v3 jugs. :wink:

Partner angry

Aug 17, 2005, 5:24 AM
Post #23 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I dont think any thing ever gets "funner." :wink: if you don't enjoy easy stuff then you wont enjoy any thing harder than that. the only way its more fun is by opening up you options to new routes.

This is a false statement

rasken

Aug 17, 2005, 6:16 AM
Post #24 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, yes and no.
I agree that the one having the most fun is the winner at the end of the day. I think I have the same angle on it as you, having quite a few years of climbing behind me but not much in terms of grades. I love a cup of coffee beneath a sun-stricken 5.notverymuch before repeating it on TR in preparation for a future lead attempt.
But I know people for whom progression is what is fun. I need the scenery, the friends, and the coffee, they need to advance a grade per season. It's still fun for them. The difference is what triggers "fun". I'm bummed if my friends leave town and I don't get to climb for a while, they're bummed if they plateau in technique for a while.
So have fun, but don't think that your fun is everyone else's.
Damn, I'm getting too philosophical for this time of day (8 am here in Sweden). I better read some Ask the NOOB... errr... do some work.
/rasken

ninja_climber

Aug 17, 2005, 6:41 AM
Post #25 of 31 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started climbing in March and I personally have the most fun climbing something I can't do. Like trying out boulder problems that I can almost do , but not yet . I love the thrill that you get when your so close and you know you can do it , but you keep falling. The adrenilne starts pumping and ou just go all out and just put everything into it to the point where averything is just focused on the next hold. ...wow...I just got the chills.... dammit now I have the urge to go and boulder... Ohh well the gym's only 5 mins from the house. Bye bye now!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook