RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

renohandjams

Aug 27, 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Backpacking with a haul bag.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This might be a big wall beginner question, but here goes:

How are haul bags for backpacking long distances comfort wise? I own a 6000 cubic inch backpack and I saw that a lot of the larger haul bags are around 8000+. I was thinking about getting a larger backpack for longer trips, but I thought about just getting a huge haul bag, and saving some money. The only down side I could think of was weight, they are heavy than a comparable backpack. Does anyone have anything else to add?

crotch

Aug 27, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Re: Backpacking with a haul bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How are haul bags for backpacking long distances comfort wise?....The only down side I could think of was weight, they are heavy than a comparable backpack.

A full haulbag feels like a giant barrel strapped to your back. They put the load waaaay back behind your center of gravity so that you have to lean forward and stare at your feet just to keep from falling over. Only a real sicko would intentionally use one for backpacking.

What type of trip are you considering that would require >6000 ci for long distance travel?

veganboyjosh

Aug 27, 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the bigger the bag you have, the more crap you will find to fill it.

plus, haul bags don't have any of the fancy support and/or adjustment that a bona fide backpack has.

i once went on a 3 day hike/backpack trip with a regular backpack, with no frame, no support, just two shoulder straps. this was in high school, over 10 years ago, and i seriously think i did some permanent damage to my back on that trip.

at the time i was too punk rock(stupid) to want to take an old army external frame pack my dad had lying around, instead i opted for the non frame shit backpack i had.

namascar

Aug 27, 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is going to last you for a while. That's for sure.

far_east_climber

Aug 27, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #5 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All I can say is I sure in heck wouldn't do it... simply because of the suspension system on haul bags. It'd be fine for a short trip, but not for anything long in my opinion. If by backpacking you mean you are going to go travelling (another country?) your haulbag will likely attract more attention to thieves than a regular bag.

lambone

Aug 27, 2005, 4:24 AM
Post #6 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't do it, carrying haulbags sucks.

I won't even carry one loaded to the base of El Cap anymore, I use my backpack for loads, then carry the haulbag up last pretty much empty.

load one up in the shop and you will see...

cjstudent

Aug 27, 2005, 4:38 AM
Post #7 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carrying a haul bag is horrible. Take an over sized grocery bag, put straps on it, and imagine that being loaded down with crap. It fatigues your body quick, has no real frame, sits on your hips weird. The waist belt is either too loose or if you tighten it up then it cuts off the circulation to your legs. It is the one aspect of big walling that I hate.

But thats the opinion of a scrawny little guy who had to walk off el cap because we topped out in a storm and didnt rap. I almost wanted to just leave the haul bag at the top with a note that said "need new home"

papounet

Aug 27, 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you planning to transport your full set of furniture ??

I would suggest that you consider ultra light hiking techniques to lighten your load and fit a smaller bag.

the trick is to start with what your take with you and then choose the smallest backpack that accomodate your load.
This summer I compared my pack and the one of one of my friend : 2 pounds difference in "accessories" that did not translate in useful functionnalities .
At first he could not understand why my pack was always lighter than his because he stuffed too many things, then he compared equipment by equipment what he carried vs. what I was using....

the last two days, he carried to the rock face everything in his large bag 70l including a small ultralight day pack 25l for the climb which he used for the climb

visit
http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/
http://www.backpacking.net/
http://www.backpackinglight.com/ (paying)

One of the most outstanding manufacturer of light stuff
http://www.golite.com/

in french
http://www.ciao.fr/Randonnee__Avis_301898
http://www.randonner-leger.org/blog/index.php

gunked

Aug 29, 2005, 4:43 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Backpacking with a haul bag SUCKS!!!

-Jason :D

golsen

Aug 29, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno,
here are three reasons for getting a haulbag instead of a backpack:
1. You will expand your vocabulary. Yes thats right, you will certainly find yourself searching for more new swear words as you curse at the thing.
2. What is that old saying, "If it does not kill me it must be good for me?" Yep, it will get you in better shape than a normal backpack.
3. When you get tired of carrying the pig, it will wear better when you resort to dragging it on level ground cuz of the way it carrys....
Good Luck!

bandycoot

Aug 29, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Imagine all the bad things everyone has said so far. The reality of it is that it is MUCH WORSE than they are portraying it! You really must experience a haul bag to appreciate how horribly they ride on your back.

renohandjams

Aug 30, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the haul bag noobie info. Wow. I never realized they were that bad. I love big backpacks, like my 6000cu, and the thought of something bigger just sounded nice (more food, longer time before I have to see civilization again, etc...). I will borrow one and take it hiking for a couple of miles, and from what you've all said it will suck.

yosemite

Aug 30, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Imagine hiking with a full water heater on your back. A haul bag is worse.

landgolier

Aug 30, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anybody ever try lashing a pig to a frame off an external and hauling it that way? I've done this with firewood, chainsaws, even a big orange water cooler, and it sucks only about as much as carrying an overloaded external (and I like externals, dammit). I guess you gotta do something with the frame when you get to the base, but it seems like most people take a couple laps getting gear up to el cap anyway.

Just wasting time at work...

brutusofwyde

Sep 2, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I call B.S. to almost every answer in this thread (except the ones that say carry less, and lighter, stuff). Carrying 100+ pounds on your back, cross country, uphill, SUCKS, no matter what kind of backpack or haul bag you carry it in. Anyone who finds themself doing that is just plain stupid. I should know. I've done it enough.

Brutus

papounet

Sep 4, 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To reinforce what I posted earlier on less and lighter stuff (thanks brutus for the support), i would like to share 2 backpack weights

I just finished "Africa trek" from Alexandre and Sonia Poussin , a 14000km trip in 3 years and 3 months from South africa to Israel. They did it with a 7kg pack each, of which 3kg was for the camera (still and tape). They did planned on sharing with Africans their life, so they went without topo, plate, or a lot of what we would have thought "necessary".

The documentary they made got several award:
Grand prix Adventura, Meilleur film toutes catégories - FIFAM à Montréal, Canada - oct 04 - Ancre d’Or et Prix de la chaîne Odyssée - Festival de Toulon – oct 04 - Prix des jeunes de la ville de Dijon, Toison d’Or du livre d’aventure, Dijon- oct 04 - Trophée Peter Bird - Dijon - oct 2004

I have found yet another source for a list of "stuf" to take on a "light" backpaking trip, which is around 12 pounds (5.5kg) including the backpack without food.

It is with such concept in mind that you can enjoy a 5 days trek with a 50l backpack in complete autonomy.

la_revoution

Sep 19, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How are haul bags for backpacking long distances comfort wise?
Oh My God??

Noob

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook