RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

andylaiphoto

Aug 27, 2005, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Finally did it
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went and climbed for the first time today. There is an indoor gym minutes away from my apartment and I decided to get a membership. I did my research beforehand and found this site a tremendous help with deciding on my gear.

Petzl Corax Harness
Mad Rock Flash shoes
More to come as I venture out!

My body only lasted for about an hour before I felt like I should leave...my fingers are already blistered up and my forearms are very tired. I intend on doing this two to three times a week to build some strength for my other sports. I had a good time today and can't wait to progress and try other disciplines of climbing.

Cheers to all :D

Andy
www.andylaiphoto.com

republiclimber

Aug 27, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Re: Finally did it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well i'm glad you finally tried it and liked it. that said.....it is a shame that your first time should be alone and inside. this is not an attack on you, just a sad sigh at other climbers. I love taking noobs for the first time as well as going with more experienced folks who can teach me. shame on any climber who knew you but didn't take you.

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 27, 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome.....but slow down grasshopper, you have a long way to go before you can just jump on a new style of climbing, but i'm sure you know that, being in a gym is a safest and funest place to start learning.

davidji

Aug 27, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
awesome.....but slow down grasshopper, you have a long way to go before you can just jump on a new style of climbing,
That reads like "climb in the gym for a long time before you climb on real rock", but I don't think that's what you intended. I hope it isn't.

If Andy wants to rock climb, he's gonna have to climb real rock. Good to start with a class or classes in outdoor climbing skills (building anchors, placing protection, etc.). And a book or two. But more climbing in the gym isn't the way to prepare for climbing rock.

Anyway signing up for a class isn't "a long way to go". Unless it's at a distant crag. Which it could be. Don't know Dallas too well, but what I remember is pretty flat.

lhwang

Aug 27, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aside from a "learn to climb" evening that my high school organized 9 years ago, my first climbing experience was outside at Grassi in Alberta. My best friend, an experienced climber of 16 years took me and taught me the basics. My second climbing experience was a multipitch trad route on Yam (the same friend led). I don't think my training was any less safe than those who learned in the gym. Rather, I think that the experience was so amazing that it got me hooked on climbing.

andylaiphoto

Aug 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunatly for me there aren't any really nice natural areas to climb here in Dallas without having to make an actual trip for a few days. But when I get some more experience and extra time I'm going to do it.

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 28, 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
awesome.....but slow down grasshopper, you have a long way to go before you can just jump on a new style of climbing,
That reads like "climb in the gym for a long time before you climb on real rock", but I don't think that's what you intended. I hope it isn't.

If Andy wants to rock climb, he's gonna have to climb real rock. Good to start with a class or classes in outdoor climbing skills (building anchors, placing protection, etc.). And a book or two. But more climbing in the gym isn't the way to prepare for climbing rock.

Anyway signing up for a class isn't "a long way to go". Unless it's at a distant crag. Which it could be. Don't know Dallas too well, but what I remember is pretty flat.

i ment just ment to take things slow and not to let excitement get the best of ya. it was the cat's first time climbing and not even on rock, its a huge world to climbing, thats all i ment.

anykineclimb

Aug 28, 2005, 3:00 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unfortunatly for me there aren't any really nice natural areas to climb here in Dallas without having to make an actual trip for a few days. But when I get some more experience and extra time I'm going to do it.

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying this sport so much, just be sure to take it easy. Your body isn't used to this stuff and could injured easily.
You should ask some of the other members of the gym or the staff about Enchanted Rock. I think its about 2 hours from dallas?
Also, go to the partners section here and find some new friends in your area. you can hook up with them for trip to Austin area or even Hueco (when you're ready)

dbarandiaran

Aug 28, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also in the Austin are is reimer's ranch and the greenbelts of austin, there is plenty of worthwhile climbing in these areas. enjoy!

vlasik

Aug 28, 2005, 5:14 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome...I am psyched by how climbing seems to have exloded in the past few years. I am just getting back into climbing after a 5 year pause.

I have climbed at Canyons of Frisco and Stoneworks. I have been to Reimers Ranch and Enchanted Rock in years way past. My current situation (work and family) does not allow me to get out much.

There is also some good entry level toproping around Mineral Wells.
I would suggest hooking up with texasmountaineers.org for meetings and organized climbs to meet other climbers.

hangerlessbolt

Aug 28, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There is also some good entry level toproping around Mineral Wells.
I would suggest hooking up with texasmountaineers.org for meetings and organized climbs to meet other climbers.

Yup

I started climbing in MW in the late 80's. I'd be interesting in seeing what it looks like today.

andylaiphoto

Aug 28, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook