RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

4togo

Aug 29, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Photo publishing etiquette...?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with the basic etiquette/procedure as far as submitting photos for publication in print? Most of my photos are non-climbing related but I'm hoping to get a few nice climbing ones... one day...

I'm sure that procedures vary from publication to publication, but it seems that there should be some sort of standard starting point also.

Apologies if this has already been covered... couldn't find anything relevant in a search.

Thanks!
Lisa

overlord

Aug 29, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Re: Photo publishing etiquette...? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what do you mean by ethiquette???

the basic is, you are only allowed to publish your own photos, or those taken by friends only if you have their permission. offcourse, if you get any $$$ from it they should get a part of the check. 50% is about right id guess. thats about it.

4togo

Aug 29, 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe a more specific question, then... are multiple submissions (same photo to different pubs) okay? Do I need to make them known, as seems to be suggested in the writing world? Who typically retains rights to the photo -- i.e. could I submit the same photo to a climbing mag and to a hiking mag, in a standard arrangement?

Or, even better, who is the right type of person to ask these questions of? :)

Thanks...
Lisa

overlord

Aug 29, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well... im probably not the right person.

but you retain the rights to the photo, unless you sell them to someone. and if youre using multiple submissions it would be courteus to let them know of one another.

capcom1701

Sep 2, 2005, 4:28 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the American Society of Media Photographers. They have a variety of publications and resources that can help you out. You should always retain copyright and moral rights to your photo. (there are very very few circumstances where you should transfer copyright) You are just licensing use of the photo to the mag. You can show your work to multiple periodicals, but when they are buying, they may want some kind exclusivity. The more exclusive the photo, and the greater the circulation, and the greater the prominence, the greater the price you should charge.

4togo

Sep 2, 2005, 7:24 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's exactly the kind of hint I needed. Thank you!!

euancranston

Sep 2, 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As mentioned above you retain the right to your material. Copyright law states that the person who took the photograph, would be the copyright holder. For example, if you took photos of your friends on the crag, you would hold the copyright to that photo not your friends although they are the subject matter. The only legal issue you would have is that data protection or invasion of privacy was implemented when you submitted the photo. Although they are your friends it may be worthwhile getting some formal documentation allowing you to publish their photograph, which states that you hold the copyright under the copyright act.

I dont know the legal differences between the UK and USA by the way so get it checked out, or just google copyright legislation. If you published your friends photos make sure you also have written consent, but no matter what they hold the copyright. Unless they sell the rights to you. You do not need to advise other publication's of you submitting them to anyone else unless you sell a specific publication the rights. A good example of free copyrighting is www.redbull-photofiles.com/ (i think thats the correct address). Where you must come under a specific umbrella before you are allowed to publish their pics.

You can sell multiple rights to pics as long as you make the people you sell them to aware that it isn't exclusive.

Sorry for the ramble.

Euan

akornylak

Sep 2, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A great resource for you might be www.t-o-p-a.com, the Travel and Outdoor Photographers Alliance.

Feel free to PM/email me if you have any questions.

Also, a hint: don't submit images that you have posted online already, or vice versa!

-Andrew

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook