Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner philbox

Aug 31, 2005, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Hurricane Katrina, what you can do.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"To all members and visitors of RockClimbing.com:

Unless you've been stuck in the most remote parts of the world, removed from the news, you've seen and heard of the destruction in Louisiana as a result of Hurricane Katrina. This storm ranks as one of the strongest to strike the US in recorded history, and the devastation is vast. Families will return to nothing; buildings are either washed away or destroyed beyond salvage; food and water suitable for consumption is scarce. It is, quite honestly, a horrific disaster.

As climbers, we have a tendency to buckle down a bit and help out when we can. It's not unique to climbers, as the desire to help a fellow man (or woman) is an inherently HUMAN trait.

But that help must be coordinated, focused, and need-driven. Otherwise, it's not really help at all.

Without dissent, the experts in disaster relief agree: The single best thing to donate is money. This allows those on the ground at the disaster to buy the items needed, and prevents a stockpiling of unneeded items.

The following is a list of charities that will put your monetary donation to good use. (And, for those that ask, the American Red Cross is not the same as the International Committee of the Red Cross, so you can rest easy if your politics don't jive with the ICRC.)

· American Red Cross, 800-HELP-NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish.

· America's Second Harvest, 800-344-8070.

· Adventist Community Services, 800-381-7171.

· Catholic Charities USA, 800-919-9338.

· Christian Disaster Response, 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554.

· Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, 800-848-5818.

· Church World Service, 800-297-1516.

· Convoy of Hope, 417-823-8998.

· Lutheran Disaster Response, 800-638-3522.

· Mennonite Disaster Service, 717-859-2210.

· Nazarene Disaster Response, 888-256-5886.

· Operation Blessing, 800-436-6348.

· Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, 800-872-3283.

· Salvation Army, 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769).

· Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief, 800-462-8657, Ext. 6440.

· United Methodist Committee on Relief, 800-554-8583.

The idea of donating used rope and rigging gear, while noble, is replete with complications (the biggest being safety issues.) Indeed, it would be a monumental task to just identify WHERE to send such gear once it arrived in the needed areas. For this, and other reasons, we can't support the donation of gear. Certainly, if such an effort were undertaken, you've the right to give as you see fit, but consider the ramifications of that concept.

RC.com will be leaving this post on the front page for a two weeks, perhaps longer, in order to help do our part to give to those in need.

This is not a time for petty arguments. This is not a time for personality clashes. This is not a time for semantic differences. This is a time for all of us to come together as one, give what we can, and say "Here ya go... it ain't much, but maybe it will help."

This, friends, is a time to be human. Now, more than ever."

The above wording is compliments of our very own reno.

Phil Box.

davidji

Aug 31, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #2 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hurricane Katrina, what you can do. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Phil!

In reply to:
"· American Red Cross, 800-HELP-NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish.
Donations accepted at http://www.redcross.org too.

Partner tgreene

Aug 31, 2005, 5:29 AM
Post #3 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I received word this evening from a complete stranger that sought me out on a different forum, that Cathy and I still have a home. After reading a post I made, this person was caring enough to make his way through the disaster areas to locate my home and examine it for damages... He even took the time to call me about 30 minutes ago.

We know many, many people who have lost everything, and we also know people who lost their lives.

Another RC member and friend of mine (Jeff Sands aka:chugach001) lives 2 blocks from the lake with his wife and children. Jeff was climbing 'Cirque of the Towers' when this hit, and wasn't able to be here for his family. While I'm uncertain of the depth of the water in their home, or the amount of damages they have sustained, their lives will be very difficult for a long time to come.

We'll rebuild our lives, our homes and businesses -- We're already building new relationships with others that we've met at hotels, evacuation centers and online. We will survive!

God bless us all,

Tim & Cathy Greene
Mandeville, Louisiana

overlord

Aug 31, 2005, 5:33 AM
Post #4 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats good news. i guess all the good karma did its work.

the community wouldnt be the same w/o tim and hes guns :P

Partner tgreene

Aug 31, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #5 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just sent these pics by the guy that checked out my home... All of these pics were taken in his neighborhood, which is almost exactly 2 miles north of where we live.

Thankfully where we live, as well as Tim Stitch's family, there was little to no water. There were however a number of tornados in our neighborhoods.

Partner tgreene

Aug 31, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #6 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.nolarefugees.com/viewtopic.php?t=30

reno

Sep 1, 2005, 5:19 AM
Post #7 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wish to donate to Katrina victims, you should read THIS Washington Post article first.

Believe it or not, there are scumbags out there trying to scam people out of money using the hurricane disaster as a pfishing scam.

Partner tgreene

Sep 1, 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #8 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be brutally honest, MONEY is what we need... Most of us that were forced to evacuate are having to pay costly hotel bills, and we have no idea when they will end.

In all honesty, my wife and I were expecting to only be away for a day or 2, but we're now on day 4 in a $75/night hotel, and it will likely be at least another week. Once were able to return, there will be no food, so e'll also have to stock up several hundred miles north where we're staying.

Again, at this point money is all we need!

Tim

skinner

Sep 2, 2005, 4:40 AM
Post #9 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The USATODAY site has some photos that REALLY give you an idea what people are going through there :shock:

http://www.usatoday.com/...Num=strm12&tabName=c

fear

Sep 2, 2005, 5:20 AM
Post #10 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Screw the money... Lets get down there and snipe the fuck!ing looters.

-Fear

Partner okie_redneck

Sep 2, 2005, 6:34 AM
Post #11 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Screw the money... Lets get down there and snipe the f---!ing looters.

-Fear
That's funny now, but several thousand National Guard MPs are going to get turned loose in the area tomorrow. They, appropriately, will be under orders to crack skulls. This raping and pillaging B.S. will hopefully be over in a hurry. I also heard the Louisiana National Guardsmen stationed in Iraq are being deployed back home. I would hate to have to shoot someone, dirtball or not. I'm disappointed beyond words at how people caught in the storm are acting toward one-another. A plasma television has zero value when there's not even a power station. I am embarrassed at how we, as Americans, must appear to the world right now. Are we really the barbarians some think we are? It appears we may be.
Go ahead and take a rifle to New Orleans. I hope a cop sniper takes you out for being the murderer you would be if you did that.
I agreed with reno because things have now reached a point that would-be rescuers are being boat-jacked. When dealing with an armed threat, the police and military need to be left to handle things. They don't need third-party personnel in the area until they have the civil unrest minimized. I'm also willing to bet you wouldn't want to be caught brandishing a firearm once the MPs get there. They're mostly civilian cops who are also in the National Guard. In other words, It's a cop's wet dream in terms of methods of force available to them. I would not want to be on the bad side of an MP (for you Brits, that's Military Police, not Member of Parliament).
Send money. If you're in a town with refugees, maybe you can go shopping for a normal-looking family to share your home. This is an event that defies comprehension. Small tokens are a big deal in times like this. It's a little hairy right now, so you may want to simply donate. There are millions of displaced persons right now.
Whatever you do, don't turn yourself into a vigilante serial killer!

nola_angie

Sep 2, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #12 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a resident who lost a everything (not so bad- didn't have much to begin with. Got my shoes and chalk bag, tho!) thank you for having this thread.

For me, after franticall finding friends, I went climbing at a local gym here in Austin. It felt really good to, after evac' with tail winds buffeting us nearly the whole time, stressing about friends (one of my climbing buddies stayed, still can't find 3 of them)

Mainly, we need a way of finding loved ones. I'm leaving messages here, at the local climbing gyms and soon at the outdoor places.

So, if y'all see any other evac stories on this site, please email me at housegirl@stoplookingatmyass.com. I am really worried about my guys.

FYI- I still think they should have let the lions, tigers and cougars outta the zoo to handle the looters. :P

ninja_climber

Sep 2, 2005, 4:10 PM
Post #13 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in Slidell, LA. I moved back to Europe 3 days before Katrine hit. The house we sold last week is now gone. Al that on in our house is CNN. It sucks watching the city I loved go under... We immediatly sent money to the Red Cross. People please help!

wonderwoman

Sep 2, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #14 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would hate to have to shoot someone, dirtball or not. I'm disappointed beyond words at how people caught in the storm are acting toward one-another. A plasma television has zero value when there's not even a power station.

I totally agree with you, okie, 100%. All the stolen merchandise is probably water damaged and zero value too. Let 'em take it. Chances are it's already no good and would be covered by insurance anyway.

It's the guns, rapes, beatings and overall death and devastation that is breaking my heart right now. People have been left to die like animals and are now behaving so crazily. I can't understand it, nor can I even imagine what it's like. The whole situation makes everything I do here feel so trivial.

We are going to give what we can. Boston is recruiting qualified volunteers that are willing to be deployed. They are waiting for directions from the feds on what to do next.

http://www.bphc.org/...rogram.asp?b=3&p=189

nola_angie

Sep 2, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #15 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is wonderful about the volunteers. Thank you all so much. I just wanna go *home*

(left my GPS in my apt! Left in a bit of a hurry! But at least my 3d floor apt is dry!)

Partner tgreene

Sep 3, 2005, 1:29 AM
Post #16 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Hurricane Katrina, what you can do. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't for a minute think that anyone has been left behind, because for 2 days, all we heard was "Get The Fuck Out!"

If people are wanting out so bad, then why are they shooting the rescue workers..? They stayed with one intent, to loot!

Also, since Martial Law has been enacted along with a shoot to kill order, killing a looter, arsonist or rapist would not be considered vigilante justice or a make you a serial killer... You would be a hero within the letter of the law, for upholding the rule of law!

BTW: I have to wonder about the extreme level of hypocrisy of those of you that would never touch a gun, yet have no qualms with paying a COP $12.75/hr to do your dirty work for you. I'll protect my neighborhood with every last bullet I have, then we'll have a boil!

ninja_climber

Sep 3, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #17 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn SKippY. THat the LA way to do it! God... I miss Crawfish...

Partner tgreene

Sep 3, 2005, 8:03 PM
Post #18 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Damn SKippY. THat the LA way to do it! God... I miss Crawfish...
Who said anything about boilin' crawfish..? :shock:

ninja_climber

Sep 3, 2005, 8:40 PM
Post #19 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohh...well either way...I still want Crawfish....

nola_angie

Sep 3, 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #20 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a sinking feeling that I won't be reunited with my guys until HP.

mmmmmmm..............crawfish boil, Roasting looters....

Partner cindylou

Sep 3, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #21 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To be brutally honest, MONEY is what we need... Most of us that were forced to evacuate are having to pay costly hotel bills, and we have no idea when they will end.

In all honesty, my wife and I were expecting to only be away for a day or 2, but we're now on day 4 in a $75/night hotel, and it will likely be at least another week. Once were able to return, there will be no food, so e'll also have to stock up several hundred miles north where we're staying.

Again, at this point money is all we need!

Tim

Tim, any chance you have a paypal account so I could send some cashola to you and the missus? I would rather send my $ to someone I know and like directly. I know first hand how lifes tragedies can strain a person's pocketbook. And write your account information in big bold letters too, please. Maybe some other people on the site will pitch in as well.

timstich

Sep 4, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #22 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Mainly, we need a way of finding loved ones. I'm leaving messages here, at the local climbing gyms and soon at the outdoor places.

This site has some good information from back in New Orleans. I got in contact with two people via e-mail to check on my parents. http://www.nola.com Register for the forums. They are broken down by parish. Also, if you need anything while you are in Austin, shoot me an e-mail and I can get you in touch with my friends there. timstich@yahoo.com. Take care.

-Tim

Partner tattooed_climber

Sep 4, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #23 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

taking food/water is one thing (cus it does have a shelf life, how good with in stay for down there, flooded, damaged, no power, etc)...when it could be going to use to people how are in need of it...

second, what does looting a TV (when there's no power or cable to run it) have anything do do with surviving???

and these dickwads are shooting people and cops?why...its idiotic to sympathese with these idiots...anarchy is paradise for these shitheads stealing shit thats worthless right now...

timstich

Sep 4, 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #24 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the reasons Tim Greene and his wife are low on money concerns the fate of their bank back in Mandeville. The bank has been shut down, thus freezing their money. They are unable to access anything from bank machines in Arkansas.

If you would like to send some gas/food money to Tim and his wife, send a money order or cashier's check to:

Tim Greene - Room 182
Holiday Inn
3006 S. Caraway Road
Jonesborro, AK 72401

They plan to head home pretty soon, just so you know.

Partner tgreene

Sep 4, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #25 of 40 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all so much...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook