Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alisonut

Sep 7, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

climbing moms unite against scrapbooking
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not working right now and was just thinking if I could find two other climbing moms with kids how much we could climb by just switching off! I live 2 hours from City of Rocks (a great place for kids). Imagine setting up camp there and climbing all week alternating kidwatch. Is this a crazy idea? Why not? Is there anyone out there interested in such an idea or am I just nuts? I guess I"m lucky not to have to work right now I just wish I could find some like minded climbing moms. But alas I'm in the land of scrapbooks and jello molds.

Partner macherry

Sep 8, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing moms unite against scrapbooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i know what a jello mold is, but what the hell is scrapbooking???

good luck with your search for like minded women!!!

alisonut

Sep 8, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. Consider yourself lucky you don't know what it is unfortunately if I told you I'd have to try sell you all kinds of "products"

Partner macherry

Sep 8, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks. Consider yourself lucky you don't know what it is unfortunately if I told you I'd have to try sell you all kinds of "products"

sounds like today's answer to the tupperware party of yesteryear!!!! :lol: :lol:

maculated

Sep 8, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://scrapbooking.com/

:roll:

clausti

Sep 8, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

good god!

Partner macherry

Sep 8, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

good god!

ditto!!!!!

uberdb

Sep 10, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That web site was actually frightening.

DB

alexis_86

Sep 10, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #9 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

*Shudder*

rockelf

Sep 10, 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #10 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, The website is bad enough, I have actually had to LOOK at them and smile politely. Most of my non climbing friends are in to this stuff. And they think I am crazy.

Secretly they are all waiting for me to grow up and come to my senses....I think they are going to be waiting a very long time....

RT

lewisiarediviva

Sep 10, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alisonut :D I pm'd you.

charley

Sep 12, 2005, 1:33 AM
Post #12 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sounds like today's answer to the tupperware party of yesteryear!!!! :lol: :lol:

Showin your age again, dehr. :lol:

timstich

Sep 12, 2005, 2:09 AM
Post #13 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would you believe a climbing mom who also scrapbooks?

lewisiarediviva

Sep 12, 2005, 2:30 AM
Post #14 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I do have a book for each kid. And they do have pictures of their baseball teams, soccer teams, class photo's. I had to resort to it because these photo's wouldn't go in a photo album.
:oops:
Trust me though, these to sss....c.crra... these things are really really earthy compared to the above mentioned link. And I hate falling behind because I don't enjoy spending an hour pasting.

(I don't admit this to anyone I know who scrapbooks.)

Partner macherry

Sep 12, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #15 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Showin your age again, dehr. :lol:

guilty as charged

wolfemom

Sep 18, 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems almost every mom I know scrapbooks. They look at me like I have three heads when I explain I'd rather throw my photos in a regular ole' album and spend that time walking my dog. And I also seem to get a ridiculous number of little postcards in the mail inviting me to a "home party". In addition to Scrapbooking and Pampered Chef there is now Silipadia Jewelry, Usborne Books, Purse Parties, Party Lite Candles, Arbonne Skincare, Discovery Toys, Longaberger Baskets, and of course the gold standard home party - Southern Living at Home. GAG!!!

Now that I think about it, my "planned community" of stay at home moms could probably be divided up into three groups: the tennis players (really nice women who I like a lot but rarely see because they are always at tournaments), the scrapbookers (who occupy themselves by gathering weekly to scrapbook and throwing home parties on the weekends), and the dog walkers (I'm in this group - when I haven't jammed my toe because I was belaying in Birkenstocks).

I've tried to convert a few tennis players and dog walkers into rock climbers, but once they get on a rope and about halfway up a 5.5 they decide that it's not for them. My dearest friend is truly making an effort to enjoy it and she is so kind to at least belay for me, occasionally. I really would love to have some other climbing moms with climbing kids to hang out with, but I just can't seem to find them. :(

-wolfemom

Partner macherry

Sep 18, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am so fortunate to live in a town where scrapbooking is not the norm. my good friend steph is a former freestyle skiier. She's a level 2 mountain bike instructor. She's 38 and can make most grown men cry when it comes to keep up to her on skis or a bike. She's also a full time mom and works as the town's rec director. my best friend Trista is a single mom, and in her second year of nursing. She races mtn. bikes and kicks ass. her 2nd time climbing, she was leading a 5.6. This is just a sampling of women in my area. No time for scrapbooking here.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 18, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And I also seem to get a ridiculous number of little postcards in the mail inviting me to a "home party". In addition to Scrapbooking and Pampered Chef there is now Silipadia Jewelry, Usborne Books, Purse Parties, Party Lite Candles, Arbonne Skincare, Discovery Toys, Longaberger Baskets, and of course the gold standard home party - Southern Living at Home. GAG!!!

:idea: How about inviting them all to a climbing gear party. You could cook up a brew of coca on your outdoor stove and all sip it from little titanium cups and discuss the gear laid out in front of you.

(for some reason I haven't received these postcards for a while, I think they all hate me now- you know, you have to buy stuff to stay part of the group.)

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 23, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The Path To Learning" hehehheheheheeee

now that's funny shit!

:P

blk

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 23, 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

:idea: How about inviting them all to a climbing gear party. You could cook up a brew of coca on your outdoor stove and all sip it from little titanium cups and discuss the gear laid out in front of you.

(for some reason I haven't received these postcards for a while, I think they all hate me now- you know, you have to buy stuff to stay part of the group.)

oh i'd be down w/ that!

i know a group of ladies who like to knit and are making an outting of it camping for a weekend. it's a nice chnage pace for some of the gals who like the outdoors but may not want to climb and/or recovering from climbing injuries (snapped pullies, jacked up shoulders, etc.)

Partner cindylou

Sep 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Would you believe a climbing mom who also scrapbooks?

Someones been hanging out in my family room looking at the scrapbooks.

aimeerose

Oct 2, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG, that sounds like an amazing idea- too bad I don't have any kids yet. When my hubby and I do, however, I would love to do something like that!

iamthewallress

Oct 3, 2005, 7:13 PM
Post #23 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I can see both sides of this one...

I'm not a 'crafty' person. I don't spend much time decorating my space, or even keeping it up to basic standards of cleanliness for that matter.

But I do like like to go through my photos and remember the places I've lived, things I've done, people I've known...etc.

My little cat died a couple of months ago. Making a scrap book and box for my mementos of her helped me handle my greif. Having the photos was one thing, but somehow putting them together made me feel like I was paying her a special kind of respect.

Then last month my house burned. I was able to rescue her book (which was dammaged) and her box (which was not).

In general...The things that were in boxes were OK. The things that were in books got wet. I'm advocating for scrap boxing from now on.

I don't usually think about putting time aside in my life to work on a scrap book, but if they ever become your only visual connection to the subjects in the pictures, they can be very precious things. I'd sooner give up climbing for the month of Sept. all over again than loose those pictures of Little Girl. Knowing that has made me give some thought to the other scrap books that I'd like to eventually make.

lewisiarediviva

Oct 8, 2005, 6:00 PM
Post #24 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
. . .Then last month my house burned. I was able to rescue her book (which was dammaged) and her box (which was not).

In general...The things that were in boxes were OK. The things that were in books got wet. I'm advocating for scrap boxing from now on.

I don't usually think about putting time aside in my life to work on a scrap book, but if they ever become your only visual connection to the subjects in the pictures, they can be very precious things. I'd sooner give up climbing for the month of Sept. all over again than loose those pictures of Little Girl. Knowing that has made me give some thought to the other scrap books that I'd like to eventually make.

I usually look at the aspect that if it is meant to live on, it probably won't. If it is meant to be temporary, It might last forever.

I try to teach my kids that the most important memories are the ones that we have acted out. After Katrina my kids went into their rooms and pulled out a couple of boxes of stuff that was "no longer" all the important. They took it out into the driveway, priced it, and put up a sign that said "Yard Sale. All proceeds go to the Red Cross." They made $5 on a Sunday.

You see, would those things survive a huge earthquake? If we aren't attatched to them, would it be easier to pick up ourselves and start over?

In college my roommate would sit on her bunk and and look through all her highschool albums. Maybe I'm missing something, but I couldn't help thinking "we're in college now, live your college life."

So I keep scap books to a minimum. If the house catches on fire, it'll be the birth certificates and social security cards that I grab. I won't even bother with the scrap books. Oh, and the climbing gear. . .hmm. . . .

botany

Oct 25, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's no time for scrapbooking in my life. i'd rather be running, biking, climbing or playing or recovering from one of the above.

as soon as my son (currently 2) is old enough to know not to run off i'd love to do a week as you described.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook