Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

aelita

Jul 28, 2002, 8:01 PM
Post #1 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Check out the Boy Scouts!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I was searching the net this afternoon (instead of working... sigh) and found this page - climbing knowledge requirements for a Boy Scout merit badge...
http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/133.htm
After reading it I thought I wodner how many climbers/boulderers/general rock monkeys honestly have the "know how" for everything there. Its a pretty good little checklist for someone how has just started as - things you should probably know

Just FYI

Cheers

[[edited to fix the URL targeting thingy...]]

[ This Message was edited by: aelita on 2002-07-28 13:02 ]

orestes1724

Jul 28, 2002, 8:13 PM
Post #2 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Check out the Boy Scouts! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

they have a thing for that at my gym, Vertical Dreams
its pretty cool.

edited to fix spelling.

[ This Message was edited by: orestes1724 on 2002-07-28 13:14 ]

farrensbooks

Jul 29, 2002, 1:47 AM
Post #3 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took the climbing merit badge a couple of years back. the know how there isn't that hard to learn. Took me one afternoon at this tweaked scout camp. I spent the whole week climbing after that.

5 years later i went back. It was soo funny. I just realized how bad i sucked when i climbed then. I set the new speed climbing record. Brought it down from 48 seconds to 14. Woulda got 12 if i had another day, and if i didn't spend so long beating the crap outta people with fun-noodles covered in duct tape and bent into swords and shields...

k9rocko

Jul 29, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #4 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like it!! I would however like to add my own pass/fail question that is required to achieve the merit badge.

"Throwing rocks on climbers below is stupid, why?"

Yeah... I know it's in there somewhere. Seems like every time I am at Maple Canyon and the scouts are out, it's raining cobblestones...

Might Just be lack of supervision. Of course that is what all children (including myself) suffer at one time or another..

rock_climbin_06

Jul 29, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #5 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never wanted to be a boy scout but they still get to do alot of cool crap. That is pretty good though for them to learn that kind of stuff!
-Adam

farrensbooks

Jul 29, 2002, 2:03 AM
Post #6 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boy Scouts get torn up when it comes to a reputation. Most say they're a bunch of geeks that meet together to have geek parties.

But i think of it a bit differently...
we know like 10 ways to start a fire, hehe...

~Keith

coolpops

Jul 29, 2002, 2:45 AM
Post #7 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The boy scouts have a lot to offer and teach. Today too often parent's forget to raise their kids and boy scout's provides a little structure.

As for the climbing list, it looks pretty cool. I am a beginner and think I will see how much of it I know and learn the things I don't...

Jeremy

johnhenry

Jul 29, 2002, 2:53 AM
Post #8 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a proud eagle scout and I am glad to see that climbing has taken hold with scouts!

When I was a boy, we did hard peaks like Mt. Rainer.

I say to fellow scout and eagles to Rock On!

PM me if I can help a scout any way .

John

crackaddict

Jul 29, 2002, 3:18 AM
Post #9 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock on John!

I am a proud Eagle Scout as well and have been a scout master.

One of the coolest things I have done was teach this merit badge.

It is so rewarding to be able offer these kids an experience that they normally would'nt get.

I have to say that the boy scouts have it down. They really have an emphasis on saftey. Which we all should have an emphasis on. Sorry about your experinece at Maple Gabe. That kind of stuff would'nt happen in our troop. Sounds like the leaders were'nt watching thier scouts and maintaining sfe areas like they should.
If you ever have a chance go out and voulenteer for the Boy Scouts do it.
You'll Love it.

[ This Message was edited by: crackaddict on 2002-07-28 20:50 ]

mountainmarc

Jul 29, 2002, 3:38 AM
Post #10 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that all looks good....but what about reality? I've seen plenty of boy scout groups down at the crags, and have seen them doing some pretty crazy things. some of the anchors they set looked like a death trap, and one group was belaying from the top ( yes thats ok) and had someone stationed at the bottom with a walkie talkie telling the belayer to take (10 ft of slack!). that same group was also THROWING helmets and harnesses tied to a rope over the edge of the cliff to the next climber.
As for the list, it certainly contains info that every climber should know, but as for the 1st aid stuff...how many actually do?

pinto

Jul 29, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #11 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever since my brief encounter with the boy scouts (I almost made it to tenderfoot!), I've been pretty down on them. Easy targets for the most part (I remember running into some scouts at a sport climbing area trying to find good places to rappel. Yikes!), but a couple weeks ago I actually saw something that changed my mind.

My dad is a longtime eagle scout and has been involved with the scouts for as long as I can remember (hence my fleeting existence in the khaki shirt). Recently he started climbing (I've been regaling him with stories for the last six years and he finally got hooked--I swear climbing is worse than crack!). Mostly he's been climbing with the boy scout troops he works with. After much harassment, he finally convinced me to go out and see how they do everything and climb a bit.

I was expecting general insanity and massive breaches of safety and cliff ettiquette, but instead I found one of the best run toprope setups I've ever seen. Everyone was wearing helmets and anchored and paying attention! (something rarely encountered anywhere) Pretty much it would be nearly impossible for anyone to get killed, contrary to my previously held opinions (which weren't entirely unfounded, however--I used to work at a gear shop and some scoutmasters contacted me about building a zipline... with polypro cord and a couple ovals. Not kidding. That'll bump up the insurance premiums!)

So, in finality, all their anchors rocked everything was setup with care and respect for the consequences they were dealing with. I only wish they'd been doing that sort of stuff when I was a kid (hell, I might be an eagle scout instead of a climbing bum!).

Good job, boy scouts! Get those kids out on the rocks.

johnhenry

Jul 29, 2002, 5:30 AM
Post #12 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Also check this links for guidelines for Scout Climbing:

http://www.bsa.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/20-099/

Adios,
John

mrtristan

Jul 29, 2002, 12:52 PM
Post #13 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an Eagle Scout too. I also got the climbing merit badge. It was way easy. I have also taught all the stuff on there to scouts in Texas and Kazakhstan (BSAinK???)

-Tristan

Partner russman

Jul 29, 2002, 1:26 PM
Post #14 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grat thread started here. I too am an EAGLE SCOUT, I have been a professional Boy Scouter and am jsut waiting for my son to get old enough and get back into it.

As far as the ideas of the Scouts being a mess out on the crags, I guess you have to look at it in the same point that even normal crag jumpers can set up some pretty scary stuff.

The Scouts do often get a bad rap, but for those of us involved, we know the difference it can make to help those young kids out.

Glad to see a bunch of Eagles here and others deffinatley involved
The Russman

morganicclimbing

Jul 29, 2002, 2:02 PM
Post #15 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am an eagle and past scout master. The scouts taught me to climb when I was younger and when I was a scout master they motivated me to build a climbing wall in my attic so they could have a place to climb. And where I grew up... IT WAS COOL!

wigglestick

Jul 29, 2002, 2:25 PM
Post #16 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a Eagle Scout too. And yes I still put it on my resume and at every job I have had they have commented that they were impressed that I was an Eagle Scout. Although for some strange reason I never got the Rock Climbing merit badge. The quality of the Boy Scoute program is directly related to the quality of the troop leaders. My scoutmaster was on of the coolest guys I ever met. Many of the other scoutmasters that I encountered were big fat lazy guys who sit in lawn chairs outside the RV all day while the kids run around lighting stuff on fire and throwing rocks.

screamer

Jul 29, 2002, 2:32 PM
Post #17 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, the boy scouts in utah are cool... they start forest fires, cut down live trees and trash campsites, break out world class dinasaur tracks and throw them into lake...gotta love em'

rocknpowda

Jul 29, 2002, 3:50 PM
Post #18 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am an Eagle Scout! Haven't been a Scoutmaster and don't know if I'd be up for it after remembering the stuff we put our Scoutmaster through (ie. paintball wars inside his van on the way to camp).

The first time I rappelled was at Scout camp but I never got the climbing merit badge. Would have been a good idea since after rappelling off the tower I tried to tie up a 40 foot rappel with our clothesline. Live and learn. I was a Utah scout for about half my scouting career though so it's not surprising.

I agree that Scouts is a great program but many troops are more like redneck training sessions than responsible citizen / environmentally conscious training. Good job to all of you Scouts and Scoutmasters out there who are teaching good principles and practices to the scouts of today. To the redneck style Scout masters; there are other ways to start a fire than gas and green trees really don't burn as well as cured fire wood that you brought from home.

topher

Jul 29, 2002, 11:31 PM
Post #19 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my climbing partener is a scout leader and me and him took heis troop out, a few months ago. it was fun but kinda scary at the same time. every thing was bomber, but it wasnt like if it fails its me going die it was like if this fails some little kid that i dont know is going die. so that was a little diffrent. but reading through that guide on the net i broke one rule and that was im not 21. im only 17. scouts can be cool, but the group i was in a few years a go sucked!! the leaders didnt do any thing, we never hiked camped climbed canoed ect. hope every one eles hade better experiances than me.

doosh

Jul 29, 2002, 11:49 PM
Post #20 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to teach "climbing" to the boy Scouts in our gym, for the merit badge.

I loved the photo of the guy in the merit badge booklet... he was boldering with a full trad rack on, for practise.

I think I am going to start sending v(harder than you can climb, but omitted so mick from cockfax doesn't get all huffy on me for spraying a number) with full trad rack on so I can get my photo in mags as the one burly boy scout.

Yeah! Try to ASS RAPE ME NOW, SCOUTMASTER!

I got a #5 cam with "your dome" written all over it.

climbinganne

Jul 30, 2002, 2:14 AM
Post #21 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and that's coming from a tiger den mom and sister of two eagle scouts....but i didn't make it but 2 years past brownies...too girly for me!!!!

jono

Aug 7, 2002, 3:08 AM
Post #22 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am also an Eagle Scout.
i had already been climbing before i got the badge but it still taught me some cool stuff.

beyond_gravity

Aug 7, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #23 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you are WAY Off!

It's not "Boy" Scouts anymore, just "Scouts". And there is so much more to the scouting program then scouts. The order goes...

Beaver -> Cub -> Scout -> Venture -> Rover

I am currently a Venture...and Ventures is WAY better then scouts, dude.

Service and Outdoor recreation makes the company go round, man

biggernhell

Aug 7, 2002, 3:19 AM
Post #24 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two questions for all the scouts out there
1: I have seen Scout masters toproping scouts through a pulley. Is this common practice?

2: Do any of you own a mount me hat?

john1987

Aug 7, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #25 of 144 (13419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to be a boyscout and I got the climbing merit badge. Thats how I started climbing.
Climb hard
John

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook