RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

arrettinator

Sep 19, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Earlier today on rc.com
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone else not able to get anything but the gear and forums header and nothing else earlier today?

This brings a question to mind.
Who effed up the code and went live with it, and why don't people ever own up to effing up the code?

Am I the only one who wonders this every time there's a huge mistake made?

Personally I think there should be a post in the What's New forum stating the mistake, who made it, and when it was fixed.
Or, any changes to the site should be documented as to who/what/when was changed. I'd like to know, personally, so if it's a subtle but useful change I can check it out.

sactownclimber

Sep 19, 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Re: Earlier today on rc.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I, too, noticed this. Seems to be fixed now.

anson

Sep 19, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Am I the only one who wonders this every time there's a huge mistake made?

Probably yes, because you're making a huge assumption, one that is not usually true: that coding errors are the cause for the problems you see. The site has gone haywire for countless reasons, and coding errors rank pretty low on the 'havoc wreaked' scale, from what I've seen. Hardware faults, networking problems, scalability problems in third-party code, and overflowing hard drive partitions would all sit higher on my list of havoc-wreakers than coding errors.

-aB

charley

Sep 19, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had that problem alot lately. Sometimes I just enter a different way and it's ok and other times nothing works.

Partner shano

Sep 19, 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh its still effed but workable. Something is screwy with the URL parser but I figgered it was just my browser (apparently not.)
If you get that funk screen you can just go into the URL window and delete the "www." portion of the address. This allows you in.

Seems like every time Monday comes around I can't get into the site, can't get my rc.com email, can't get to work on time, can't find my keys...

Get used to it (no I'm not an admin or anything, just a regular lowly user.)
-s

Partner tim

Sep 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Monday mornings around 3AM are when we run database backups (since that is statistically about the lowest point in the week for traffic). If anything goes wrong during the backups -- and there are at least a dozen bizarre failure modes that I have already inserted self-checks for, certainly many more that I haven't figured out yet -- if anything goes wrong during this cycle that we haven't seen before, that's when the site requires manual intervention to correct it.

There is no one -- no one -- on this site who is salaried staff. (We have tried hiring people before; the revenue flow for the site is not sufficient to retain anyone qualified as a fulltimer) In light of the fact that a corrupt database and irretrievable information are more of a disaster than occasional downtime, we have opted to err on the side of caution. I have the babysitter scripts send a text message to my cellphone if they pick up on something bizarre.

Generally speaking, coding errors are fixed much faster than cache or system problems, because a human has to pull the trigger on them, and is subject to intense mockery if they screw up. (Also, code changes are reversible; system changes tend to not to be)

Friday night I apparently checked in a bug, which Anson caught on Saturday morning. So even when code changes get pushed mistakenly (as in, "works on the staging server! problem must be elsewhere!") they tend to get picked up quick, since Anson and Dan are pretty damn sharp. System problems, which invariably require me digging around on the servers to figure out WTF is happening (or, worse, Anson having to figure this stuff out on-the-fly), take longer to fix.

It's not something I'm happy about, but given our budget and our hardware, I do feel like the decision to favor data integrity over uptime is probably the lesser of two evils.

lilclimber18

Sep 20, 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, actually, right this minute is the first time the forum actually worked for me.

equal_1

Sep 20, 2005, 1:15 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i for one would like to thank everyone that has a part in making this site work . and all those out there posting info and comments . i think this is one of the greatest sites out on the net for a rock climber. i have enjoyed learning , reading , and meeting people on this site to climb with for almost 6 months now ... and if there are a few glitches then so be it. you got to take the bad with the good, again thank you Admins.

hangerlessbolt

Sep 20, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today was the most productive day I've had in a while

I demand this NEVER happen again!

;)

(thx guys...as usual...you phuq'ing RAWK!!!

lilclimber18

Sep 20, 2005, 2:01 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep up the good work, admins. i am officially addicted to rc.com. :D

Partner dondiego

Sep 20, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, I too had to actually perform my job for longer than I like today.... Please keep the site up so I don't have to work anymore... He He!

I agree that Tim, Trevor, Anson and the rest of the team do a pretty good job with what they have to work with. This site has a lot of moving pieces and the fact that it doesn't have more trouble amazes me at times..

-DD-

overlord

Sep 20, 2005, 4:21 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i couldnt log in on saturday. thought about sending a report to helpdesk, but decided to wait a bit. and surely, it all works fine now.

thomasribiere

Sep 21, 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It happened to me often in the last weeks too. Just the gear and forums headers... and nothing else. A I couldn't print my screen and clearly explain the problem, I let it go, but arret' explained the problem correctly!

renohandjams

Sep 22, 2005, 7:10 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll fix your programming problems. Just forword me the Java and PHP and I'll highlight the bugs. Along with the email please send me the passwords to your Mysql database and login name. Thanks. You have a great forum, but I have noticed more bugs here than Lousiana.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook