Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

clausti

Jul 21, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #26 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Re: Asking to climb DOES equate to asking out on a date [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yeah... climbing + backrub = :idea: seems to be the preferred formula.

excuse me while i return to the life which will lead to me being married to a neuroscientist who cant do a pullup at the age of 30....

junaid

Jul 25, 2005, 7:27 AM
Post #27 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok so i am the clueless guy. actually i was looking around in the womens room for that reason. sorry. Tavs, you said it best. do something non climbing to get things along.

And yeah ask us out. I've missed opportunities i didn't even know existed at the time, sometimes ones i would have certainly acted on. Sometimes I'm not sure whether flirting is actually happening. so be direct from time to time, never assume we are 'picking up your signals'. In fact assume we aren't picking up any. oh and asking US out does NOT make us think your desperate, just confident.

andrewbanandrew

Jul 31, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #28 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm gonna say that a lot of climbers are pretty dense on both sides so this makes for some interesting flirting in the campgrounds, from what I've seen.

foxtrotuniform

Aug 4, 2005, 7:12 PM
Post #29 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a pretty easy one. If you're climbing with some guy, lets call him JimBob, and you start to romantically like him, just ask him out on a date. Climbers are capable of doing something besides pulling on rocks on the weekends right?

You've got to break the norm of what you've been doing and shake the pot a little if you want things to change, otherwise you will both settle into your respective roles as climbing partners.

Now the part that everyone fucks up is this. If the date sucks, or if you are picking up negative vibes on a romantic level, finish it up and get back to being climbing partners.

Just be sure to press on with the next interest and don't harp on, "Wah wah, why dosen't he like me." There's 18 bazillion guys out there, and it's not worth your time to try and convince one into liking you. You'll only end up pissed at the world.

As my co-worker says, "Quit being a **ssy about it and press on." That's my new mantra.

indynshrty

Aug 5, 2005, 1:53 PM
Post #30 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said. :D

lewisiarediviva

Aug 6, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #31 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing is a great way to develope a close friendship, but if you want to take it to the next level, ask the guy out on a real date.

What's a real date?

andrewbanandrew

Aug 7, 2005, 4:21 PM
Post #32 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really understand the notion of a 'date'

If one person starts flirting and the other person flirts back, anything you are doing has essentially become a 'date'.

Why do people go on dates? To flirt with each other.

I tend to avoid using the word 'date' altogether as it seems to intimidate or put pressure on some girls.

clausti

Aug 7, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #33 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the purpose of a "real date" is the declaration of intentions. sure maybe you're both flirting climbing, but who knows what that means, could mean nothing. whereas, in contrast, by definition, if one person asks another out, days in advance, for a specific time, that is a "date" and it means "i like you." acceptence of said offer means "i am at least willing to give you a chance." and then you see where you go from there.

Partner kasharp

Aug 7, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #34 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a lot of people flirt unconsciously, subconsciously, unintentionally, whatever, without being "interested" in the other person, so i think that by asking someone on a date you're saying "hey, i'd like this to maybe go somewhere" and you find out if the other person was flirting with interest, or just being friendly. if that makes any sense. i guess it makes sense to me because i've been told that i flirt "all the time" and i don't think i do... just being friendly, but if a guy asks me out and i'm not interested, i decline. simple. flirting is very open to interpretation in my opinion

foxtrotuniform

Aug 8, 2005, 5:05 AM
Post #35 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
a lot of people flirt unconsciously, subconsciously, unintentionally, whatever, without being "interested" in the other person, so i think that by asking someone on a date you're saying "hey, i'd like this to maybe go somewhere" and you find out if the other person was flirting with interest, or just being friendly. if that makes any sense. i guess it makes sense to me because i've been told that i flirt "all the time" and i don't think i do... just being friendly, but if a guy asks me out and i'm not interested, i decline. simple. flirting is very open to interpretation in my opinion

I agree. For some reason people are so cryptic with their romantic intentions. If I like someone, I feel there's chemistry, and am romantically interested, I tell them so. The WORST that can happen is they'll turn you down. But if you can be adults about it, neither of you should harbor any wierd feelings or ill blood.

Or you could become a stalker psycho. that also seems to be a popular option.

clee03m

Aug 8, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #36 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the making out option. Really no mixed messages there.

lhwang

Aug 8, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #37 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to agree with the whole "real date" thing being about declaring intentions! I don't think climbing equates to asking someone out on a date... if I ask a guy to climb with me, it's usually because I need a climbing partner! Incidentally, me and my boyfriend met climbing but I don't think we would have gotten together if he hadn't asked me out for a drink afterwards one day. In fact he told me that in the beginning he was kind of reluctant to flirt with me because he knows a lot of climbing girls who hate that guys hit on them when they just want to climb.

I've been looking for a weekday climbing partner through postings on a few climbing forums (my boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend are my two main climbing partners and they work regular hours), and with maybe two exceptions, all of the replies I've gotten are from single men who send me their pictures and short bios. They're keen on going climbing until I mention that I have a boyfriend, and then I never hear from them again. I also have a friend who deliberately conceals the fact that she's married in order to string her climbing partners along.

Anyone else have this experience???

jeepinchrisc

Sep 3, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #38 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No. I am ugly and drool all over myself any time I get within 5ft. of a woman! Wanna go climbing?

hehe

Chris

lagr01

Sep 21, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #39 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And yeah ask us out. I've missed opportunities i didn't even know existed at the time, sometimes ones i would have certainly acted on. Sometimes I'm not sure whether flirting is actually happening. so be direct from time to time, never assume we are 'picking up your signals'. In fact assume we aren't picking up any. oh and asking US out does NOT make us think your desperate, just confident.

Those damn subtle signals. I even miss the road signals for god sakes!

People should wear traffic lights on their heads if you ask me. But no yellow lights, those would be confusing. :nono:

clausti

Sep 22, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #40 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Those damn subtle signals. I even miss the road signals for god sakes!

People should wear traffic lights on their heads if you ask me. But no yellow lights, those would be confusing. :nono:

the sororities at my school actually throw traffic light parties. wear red if you're taken, green if you're availible, and yellow if you're not sure.

vawwyakr

Sep 22, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #41 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd have to agree with the whole "real date" thing being about declaring intentions! I don't think climbing equates to asking someone out on a date... if I ask a guy to climb with me, it's usually because I need a climbing partner! Incidentally, me and my boyfriend met climbing but I don't think we would have gotten together if he hadn't asked me out for a drink afterwards one day. In fact he told me that in the beginning he was kind of reluctant to flirt with me because he knows a lot of climbing girls who hate that guys hit on them when they just want to climb.

I've been looking for a weekday climbing partner through postings on a few climbing forums (my boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend are my two main climbing partners and they work regular hours), and with maybe two exceptions, all of the replies I've gotten are from single men who send me their pictures and short bios. They're keen on going climbing until I mention that I have a boyfriend, and then I never hear from them again. I also have a friend who deliberately conceals the fact that she's married in order to string her climbing partners along.

Anyone else have this experience???
I'm a gender neutral climbing partner; if someone can go when I want to go and their style mixes well with mine then I'm happy to go with them. I have always been like this for any kind of friendship, even before I entered a serious relationship. But I think it's very true that a lot of guys are like what you describe. Their point of view being that it's better to not have to deal with unreciprocated feelings if they meet you and are attracted.

htotsu

Sep 23, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #42 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the sororities at my school actually throw traffic light parties. wear red if you're taken, green if you're availible, and yellow if you're not sure.
Not sure? :?

artaxerxes

Sep 25, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #43 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yeah, I saw some girl wearing red at one of those, but she also was wearing a piece of paper that said, "Like you've never run a red light?"

chanf

Sep 25, 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #44 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ouf! how's that for cryptic.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 26, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #45 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 27, 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #46 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, I saw some girl wearing red at one of those, but she also was wearing a piece of paper that said, "Like you've never run a red light?"

Karma's a bitch, though.

stymingersfink

Oct 21, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #47 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

:D

...as I once heard "Just because there's a goalie doesn't mean you can't make a slap-shot" :lol:

Not a hockey fan, but I get it. Yellow? Doesn't that mean go real fast?

crazy_bout_climbing

Nov 14, 2005, 5:32 AM
Post #48 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always ask guys to come climb with me. Yes I''ll admit that I usually am interested in them, but if nothing else, I'll get to know them a little better.

ricardol

Dec 13, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #49 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my $0.02 ..

for climbers.. asking someone of the opposite sex to go climbing is a "safe" date .. since you can both just say .. we're just climbing ..

.. its an easy way to gauge if the other person is interested ..

if there is good chemistry then you can go for a "real" date ..

.. in a real date .. dinner + drinks .. there is a definite open gesture of "I like you.. " ..

============================

so bottom line .. a climbing date is a just a stalling tactic if you are both climbers already .. (if the other person is not a climber thoguh, then its a real date) ..

... to me i like to do non-climbing related things for dates, since i know that when i date a climber girl we'll do lots of climbing in the future.. i want to make sure that she also likes to do other fun stuff .. --

climbilicious

Dec 13, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #50 of 51 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my $.02
i really dislike real dates. too much pressure, too formal. every romantic relationship i've ever had has just kind of evolved out of knowing the person and being friends, and then one day you're making out, and... and then you just keep hanging out, with this new angle on your relationship. i much prefer this way over "real" dates, not that i've been on many, but the ones i have been on have felt way too forced, ended up making me uncomfortable and really not want to spend time with the guy again. but that's just me. and didn't really have anything to do with climbing... oh well. :roll:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook