RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

areuinclimber

Sep 24, 2005, 3:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2047 views)
Shortcut

a5 cliff cabana & metolius fly
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey erybody,
i am saving the duckets for a ledge, and i want the best possible combo of ledge/fly, one that will do the best to keep me alive on the remote walls i will eventually be visiting. here are my thoughts:
a5 cliff cabana/metolius rainfly.
fish double whammy and metolius fly (unless the fish one is TRULY bomber)
a5 cabana/yosemite fly (fly is damn expensive and doesnt seem to be as bomber as the metolius fly.)

here are the rumors ive heard and other questions:
-a friend and well known valley wall climber said he almost died in a storm using the yosemite fly... your experiences?
-the metolius fly (to me) looks to be the most bomb proof fly on the market except for the diamond fly, and the best deal.
-will it fit the cliff cabana? (it fits on my buddy's bd double skylounge)
-how big/bomber is the fish double whammy ledge (for some reason, im not too confident in the fly...)

any other thoughts from experienced wallrats that have used a slew of ledges?

lambone

Sep 24, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: a5 cliff cabana & metolius fly [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

first off, you can have confidence in Fish gear, it's bomber.

second, you are looking at fly's with two different materials. One is coated Nylon...basically rubber, non breathable, but as water-proof as it gets. My thoughts are that this is the best type of fly for Yosemite because the storms dump rain in buckets and the teps are not as consistantly cold (except in Winter).

The other fly material would be something like Gore-Tex or Todd-Tex, etc...a breathable/waterproof~resistant laminate. This stuff is more expensive for sure, and probably less waterproof if you were sitting under a fire hose. However, in cold temps the breathability will be a huge plus. With a coated nylon fly you will get alot of condensation, especially using it day after day, night after night. You will end up with wet gear and frost everymoring on an alpine big wall, a breathable fly will help elievate this condensation.

So, ya gotta think about the use you are going to put it through, the conditions you'd expect and buy accrodingly. To sum it up I'd go with rubber fly for Yos, and Gore-tex type for alpine gnarlyness. Or like Mike said with the Bigwall I-Tent.

Also becarefull about mixing and matching different brands. Most manufacturers make their flys to fit the ledge dimensions, and you want a perfect fit. I wouldn't buy one without trying it first in the shop to make sure it fits snug, but not too snug.

cheers

ricardol

Oct 12, 2005, 1:54 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: a5 cliff cabana & metolius fly [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i am selling my fish double with fly .. $450 .. (at this price its a STEAL!) -- its $690 new ..

its been up el cap for thirteen days, including high winds, and light rain.

condition: good ..

the bed is excellent
the corners have the kind of wearmarks you get from 13 days on it.

the fly has some holes low on the skirt where it rubbed against the wall due to improper setup. but it does not affect the way the fly works, since this is the section that hangs below the ledge .. -- also wear on the protective area on the fly -- normal for use.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook