RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

microbarn

Sep 27, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3049 views)
Shortcut

RWW classes without reading the book?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I haven't read RWW, but I intend to read it. There seems to be a tremendous amount that it could benefit me.

However, there is a class at the New that I could take in about 2 weeks:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/97076

I don't think I can get and finish the book by that time. Do I need to have read the book to get the most out of the classes? Do I need to read the book to understand some of the things covered in the classes? Should I read the book then decide if I even need a class in addition?

While it would be great if Arno replied himself. I am curious what other people who have taken the classes and read the book would recommend. Being on a limited budget as everyone else is...I want to make the most of the money I do have.

Thanks in advance.

arnoilgner

Sep 27, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Re: RWW classes without reading the book? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello microbarn,
Well...no one else has responded yet to give you unbiased info for your question.

Here's my take...
You can get the book and read it before the class. It reads well and is best understood if read through once and then read again in more depth. The fast read will give you a great overview of the material to help understand what is taught in the class.

However, it is not necessary to read the book before taking the class. We will be doing very practical climbing (and other) exercises that you can grasp simply because I'll be putting you in a climbing situation and allowing you to work through it with specific intentions.

Also, concerning whether or not you need to take the class after reading the book. There is no substitute for instruction. Reading the book helps but actually working with a coach who knows the material is a step beyond. You must know how to apply this material in your climbing and have a coach observe when you are applying it well and how to make modifications. Read what Gail Blauer said about this under the forum:
website, events & gathering, warriors way classes. She had read the book, but the material didn't "hit home" with her until taking the class.

I'm currently teaching clinics in California to folks who have not read the book and they all seem to gain much from the class.
Anyway, perhaps this helps.
arno

microbarn

Sep 27, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, so others are already taking the classes without reading the book to great affect? That is good news. I still appreciate hearing other's opinions, but at this point...I am just going to try to put things together on my side (book, money and time).

Thanks for the reply,
Dan

dirtineye

Sep 28, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 4 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My info is not exactly unbiased wither, but Arno was teahcing his clases before he wrote the book, so...

And I have attended Arno's clincs and a falling practice session before the book came out, and it felt good.

YOU might actually do beter to read the book after the class.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook