Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

goodfella

Sep 28, 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Climber w/Leukemia wants to say thanks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have hardly ever posted to this site even though I have come here for years. Not sure why, guess I just liked looking more than trying to figure out something good to contribute. This time I did want to say something. I just want to say thanks.

In June of this year I was diagnosed with an Adult Leukemia. Bummer, especially since I just got married a month before to an incredible woman. Since then, I have been trying to fight the good fight. One of the ways I have been keeping my head up is by coming to this site and checking out the pics and posts. Climbing is one of the things I used to do that I really miss. I miss the feeling of tired muscles and hands so scraped up that even the touch of water brings forth pain. I miss the feeling of accomplishement of getting up a route. I especially miss the company of climbers in the outdoors. But I will say that this site gives some of that back. The pictured give me inspiration and something to look forward when I am better. So. THANKS to you all who take the time to post. It makes makes many days for people much better. I know...kinda sappy or whatever. But hey, I guess what can you do.

Oh, and another thing. I hope this is OK to post. I have this photo gallery "Gonna Kick Butt " on my web blog where if people send me pics of them with a LiveStrong or a Leukemia bracelet I try to post. Most of the pics are friends or family, but I consider the climbing community one big fam. So, if you are out there climbing one day and feel like taking a pic with a bracelet on, send it to me (email address is also on my site under Gonna Kick Butt Gallery) and I will try to post depending on how much space is left on my blog account. I also have info on where to get the bracelets online. Not only does it bring support to good causes, it also gives me even more strength in my battle.

Anyway, thanks again. Also, thanks for taking the time to even read this.

Take care and Climb On.

timd

Sep 29, 2005, 1:24 AM
Post #2 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climber w/Leukemia wants to say thanks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you and the misses come on out to the Ouray ice fest this year. You don't have to climb if you don't want to, and you can hang with us RC.comers and have a good time. Get away from it all for a while. We would love to have you.

Tim

kachoong

Sep 29, 2005, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The pictured give me inspiration and something to look forward when I am better.
I think, my friend, you are the one who is giving inspiration. To read your post is something most people should do, rather than taking everything for granted. I salute you, your strength, your bravery.... battle on and stay positive. It's great to see you living your life for what it is and making the most out of it.... continuing to persue what it is you love. It's something we all should do. Good luck and we'll see you out on the rock/ice soon. :righton:

mistymountainhop

Sep 29, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nicely put kachoong.

lofstromc

Sep 29, 2005, 3:03 AM
Post #5 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you!
Reading your post was both very inspiring and humbling.
I wish you all the best.

overlord

Sep 29, 2005, 5:24 AM
Post #6 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fixed the url for you :wink:

and

In reply to:
Also, thanks for taking the time to even read this.

it was my pleasure. im sending some good karma your way and hoping that they can cure you.

epic_ed

Sep 29, 2005, 5:56 AM
Post #7 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, there's lil kick in the nutz to help keep things in perspective. Thanks, Tony -- I needed that. I hope you'll post up more often and give us regular updates on how your treatment and progress is coming. And when you're ready, I'll be one of the many on this site who would gladly tie in with you some day down the road.

Back in 2000 I ran a marathon and raised money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through their Team in Training program. It may be time to do another one. For anyone interested in accomplishing a life-time goal for a very worthy cause, there is no finer program than Team in Training.

Keep up the fight, Tony. We'll look forward to seeing you at the crags.

Ed

attitude0521

Sep 29, 2005, 5:59 AM
Post #8 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

inspiring!!!!! that is the only word that I am able to say after I read your post........keep up the good spirits.... all of us have you in our mind...

daithi

Sep 29, 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #9 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just checked out the pics on your website. I see you honeymooned in Ireland. I saw quite a few pics from Co. Clare which was where I am from which made me smile. I hope you and your lovely wife had a great time there. Wishing you every good thing.

thomasribiere

Sep 29, 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #10 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish you the best. I don't know what kind of leukemia you have been diagnosed with and at what stage, and knowing it wouldn't change anything by the way, but keep on doing the best for yourself (disease is the right time to take care of yourself and stop spending energy for the others without rewards) and for your near family and friends. And when you miss climbing too much, try easy stuff, and if you think it's not even worthy, come here and share your thoughts with us.
Again, I wish you the best, and be strong. Please.

thomas

goodfella

Sep 29, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just getting your replies this morning have really brightened the heck out of my morning. I was kind of a mess because my wife is at home due to work and I am 1.5 hours away in the hospital (they luckily have a computer they allow patients to use to check email). Just reading your messages really, really made my morning. I mean that. I hope you all know for people like me, stuff like this MATTERS. Your words are inspirating and the helped me man up when I was about to break down a bit this morn. One again thanks.

timd: I would love to bring the wife out to Ouray. What an awesome place. She has never been out west except for the San Francisco area. I think she would be stunned to see what exeptional beauty is out there.

epic_ed: It's people like you who even gave me the chance to fight. Without proper research, who knows where I would be right now.

daithi: Ireland was amazing. AMAZING. Pictures don't do your wonderful country any justice. Plus, we were treated like family when we were there. I wish we could have spent more than nine days because there is just so much to explore.

Thanks again for reading. I will try to check in more often.

crag

Sep 29, 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best wishes to you and your wife during this time in your life. May we give you everything you need with out asking. It is our responsibility to lift you up in our thoughts as you have been brave to let us in to your life. To me climbing is the ultimate team sport and when one team member needs a “spot” you give it to them with out question.

Livestrong.

My new insperation point
http://neice.com/...m_Washburn_Point.jpg

crag

Sep 29, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best wishes to you and your wife during this time in your life. May we give you everything you need with out asking. It is our responsibility to lift you up in our thoughts as you have been brave to let us in to your life. To me climbing is the ultimate team sport and when one team member needs a “spot” you give it to them with out question.

Livestrong.

My new insperation point
http://neice.com/...m_Washburn_Point.jpg

wjca

Sep 29, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #14 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't stop fighting. If you really want a pick me up, pop into the community forum sometime. There are people in there that can make anyone feel better about themselves, or so I hear.

epic_ed

Sep 29, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #15 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tony -- just paid a visit to your website. Great photos of you and the wife! I admire how you are dealing with this life and death struggle, and I'm sorry that it's been put on your plate to handle. One of the Lance Armstrong quotes you have listed really struck me, as I'm sure it has made an impact on you perspective, as well:

In reply to:
The truth is, if you asked me to choose between winning the Tour de France and cancer, I would choose cancer. Odd as it sounds, I would rather have the title of cancer survivor than winner of the Tour, because of what it has done for me as a human being, a man, a husband, a son and a father.

Character. It is what is revealed when confronted with challenges, and it's how we act when no one is looking. I'm sure you've had to dig deep many times since being diagnosed, and you're actions and attitudes reflect on you well. We're pulling for you.

Ed

scotia

Sep 30, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #16 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. Your post is quite inspiring to us all and I can't tell you how humbled I feel after reading it. I wish you and your wife the best and I sincerely hope that things work out for the best for both you and your family. I hope that we can one day hear of you returning to the rock.

Best wishes,
Scott

Partner f_thomas

Sep 30, 2005, 4:53 AM
Post #17 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tony & Cece

I'll be praying for you both.

Thanks for sharing how things are going. More importantly, thanks for giving me some inspiration and perspective.

God Bless

hosebeats

Sep 30, 2005, 5:40 AM
Post #18 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read your post this afternoon and while I am not responsible for the posts that entertained and lifted your spirits I am truly glad that there is something that does entertain and bring some sort of joy. I think it might be too easy to sink into a depression and just wallow in despair.

I thought quite a bit about the reality of such a situation that you are in. Few things are as undeniable as living with a terrible affliction. Every aspect of life is changed and is re centered around one common goal; getting better and whipping the hell out of this illness. You seem so positive and excited about life, an example and direction many of us can learn from.

Two quotes--

Use this one once you are diagnosed free and clear.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off" Ed Hillary

And my favorite that seems to work so well with climbing, "Maybe true, maybe not true. Better you believe." Old Sherpa saying (as best I can remember it)

-grady

Partner tattooed_climber

Oct 2, 2005, 4:02 AM
Post #19 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm with kachoong on this one..

thank you dude and i will be sendin some pics your way, both me and my partner wear livestrong wristbands...Ross wears one for his father (his second time with cancer, no chemo or ratiation this time, ALL Naturiopathy and alternative treatments and he is doing very well)...I wear mine for one of my parents friend and one my Army Cadets who died from Leukemia a month ago.

we have a road trip in less than a week, so i'll hook ya up in 2 weeks or so.

though i need to find a new one, mine got thrashed at work

goodfella

Oct 3, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #20 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once again everyone, thanks for the awesome posts. Things are going pretty well and your messages help out a ton. Getting through one of the toughest rounds in good spirits. So...thanks a ton!!!

crag - I love the pic of Yosemite. I don't know if you have seen my web blog, but Yosemite is one of my favorite places I have ever been to. I have only been there twice in my life. You pic brings back some awesome feelings of the place. I hope to do more than boulder there someday. My dreams include doing some routes on Half Dome (my favorite chunk of rock) El Capitan, and for some reason I would really like to stand on top of Cathedral Peak.

tattooed_climber - I look forward to the pics. You wouldn't believe how much motivation they bring me. Not sure why exactly but they do. So...I guess we will talk soon.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate you all taking the time.

Tony

nas

Oct 3, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont post very often either but would like to post today to let you know that you and cece are in my thoughts. like others have said, reading your post is very inspiring and with your spirit and attitude, i know that you will be back doing the things you love (e.g. climbing) very soon.

shanz

Oct 4, 2005, 6:06 AM
Post #22 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My prayers go out to you my friend. I wish you the best and hopefully will see a post that you are back climbing again and stronger than ever. Ill toast a drink to you. Stay strong and take it one hold at a time one move at time till you reach the top!

ucrclimber

Oct 4, 2005, 6:44 AM
Post #23 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man thanks for your post! i was really encouraged when i read it. i wish you and your family the best, and i pray that you're back on the rock real soon! here's a picture of me bouldering in pirate's cove at corona del mar, CA; that livestrong's for you man.

http://members.cox.net/azndrummer/pirate.jpg

ajkclay

Oct 4, 2005, 9:41 AM
Post #24 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh my, brought a tear to my eye.

I feel for you mate, a friend of mine is in exactly the same situation, I actually was thinking it might have been him until I saw your link.

Keep it up mate, live each minute, and thanks for reminding us to; you are an inspiration.

Adam

gblauer

Oct 4, 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #25 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tony,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook