First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

danyelle

Aug 1, 2002, 5:04 AM
Post #1 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Who here can dish the dirt on Anne and friends
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay maybe this isn't the best way to do this but I need the skinny on climbinganne. 95% sure I'm gonna trust her with my life this weekend but still a little queezy about meeting up with a cabin full of strangers 3 hours from home. Anyone want to ease my tension and share their personal experiences with Anne. Anne if you read this posting, please don't be offended, just a cautious move to keep everyone on the up and up.

krustyklimber

Aug 1, 2002, 5:41 AM
Post #2 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Who here can dish the dirt on Anne and friends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Danyelle,

Although I have not personally climbed with Annie, I do know her well (as well as one can by cyberspace, and phone conversations)
And I would be glad to be able to spend a weekend in her company whether climbing or not... and as far as climbing goes she knows her stuff quite well, it seems to me.

She has climbed with several members... most notably nikegirl (I think), rrradam, oozingpustule and others.

You'll be alright!

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-07-31 22:42 ]

climbinganne

Aug 1, 2002, 5:55 AM
Post #3 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoot krusty just when i finally had the nerve to post this:

danyelle...see there are really two Anne's

the 1st one would say...
i believe you wrote me and said your partner for seneca ditched you. you left your # and i called you. we spoke several times. my amazement and curiosity saw Anne on the front page. sorry that i ever told you on the phone how to respond to a thread. am i offended ? , yeah, a little, no a lot, took my breath away...i am sure you are gonna find different opinions on this site, for that is why we are a verticalism community. dudess, this was way uncool. gosh, im gonna be gone for the next two weeks and cant even see the thread grow...teehee...you and nancy reagan can kiss my a** if you are so worried about meeting a bunch of (strange)climbers in west virginia stay home and climb your 4 walls.

the other Anne says: I hope you are not offended by this reply and look forward to meeting you, me and my friends...and yours too by the week's end!!

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-07-31 22:58 ]

ponyryan

Aug 1, 2002, 6:21 AM
Post #4 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was like what a mean cold hearted thing to say, but then I read the bold bit. Very clever. About the original question, just go and have a good time.

bshaftoe

Aug 1, 2002, 6:55 AM
Post #5 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have met Anne and she rocks!

We didn't get to climb together, but she did climb with floof and alpinerocket. (Among others.)

punk

Aug 1, 2002, 8:03 AM
Post #6 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well She couldn’t climb a ladder…and generally speaking like to give a lot of slack so she can actively describe to the crowd with hand movements (the Italian background….) the moves and the route beta…the best quality she have is knowing the route so well, that she shouts the beta while simultaneously mock doing the moves on the ground while u on lead (exactly what u would like out of your belayer….great motory skills and coordination…u got to see it to believe it)
But the best part is…. U got to come home in body bag…doing the climb of your life!!!….)

Get a grip…. R U for real???

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-08-01 01:18 ]

passthepitonspete

Aug 1, 2002, 11:24 AM
Post #7 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, this isn't really the sort of thing that needs to be in a public forum, is it?

I am not certain.

I would like to read comments from above as to the appropriateness of this sort of thing appearing on this website.

I'm not sure it is appropriate, especially considering it appeared on the front page.

kahuna3602

Aug 1, 2002, 11:32 AM
Post #8 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on guys, cut her a break, she's new on here. She doesn't know and love Anne as we do. Obviously she's not aware that it was the wrong question to ask and the wrong way to ask it. Live and learn.

punk

Aug 1, 2002, 11:34 AM
Post #9 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But some of us like to post Sh** on peoples just b/c we cant contribute anything better I think she goes hand in hand with Sential

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 1, 2002, 1:10 PM
Post #10 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that Anne's cool, but this probably wasnt the best way to handle finding out about her. Each of us here has made a 'first trip' with people we didn't know all that well, and you just have to be cognizant of what you're doing, what's going on, etc.

Shoot, I was the only female in a group of 3-5 guys that I barely knew for my first couple of rc.com trips. Imagine how intimidating that was .. did I do subtle background checks and have backup plans, of course. Did I make the world wide web aware of what I was doing? no.

Although, that ranger at e-rock still thinks I'm a head case .. lol !

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-08-01 06:19 ]

k9rocko

Aug 1, 2002, 1:54 PM
Post #11 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you gotta like this girl..... otherwise sumfing wrong with you brother.

She is nuckin' futs..... just don't call her IRISH

Have fun climbing with Anne....

Don't worry about posting aloud; I understand your concern hooking up with strangers. Now that you know you shouldn't be concerned... have fun climbing.

elvislegs

Aug 1, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #12 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you don't trust her because all your information about her came from this site. I know, I'll ask a whole bunch of other strangers, who I don't know anything about, who may or may not even know Anne, who may or may not know JACK about climbing. These people I can trust to tell me the truth.

For your edification: When someone invites YOU to share in a trip they have obviously been planning for some time, opening up an opportunity to climb when you would have been sitting at home, partnerless, and does so without ever meeting you, don't stab them in the back by "keeping everyone on the up and up". What did you think? They are just luring me into their trap, they'll get me on the rock and then maliciously drop me, laughing all the way.
Anne is a class act, especially considering that she didn't tell you to forget about climbing, and stay the hell home.
If it were me, and not her you'd be staying home for sure.
Welcome to RC.com, way to piss everyone off as quickly as possible.

cedk

Aug 1, 2002, 3:00 PM
Post #13 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard she lures people out into the woods and sacrifices them to a demon which she summons with incantations from the Necronomicon. Survivors are given to the 3 hillbilly brothers who live down the river from her cabin of horrors. In exchange they help her to cover up the evidence of her grisly crimes.

Then again, trad climbing? at Seneca Rock? I'd go.

Partner sauron

Aug 1, 2002, 3:10 PM
Post #14 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clymber_chk,

Not only are you a head case, but yer a nut and basket case, while you're at it...

- d.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 1, 2002, 3:15 PM
Post #15 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heheh .. yeah, it says something when the grumpiest ranger at a state park knows you by name .. hahah, "you know, that crazy little blonde girl" .. hahahahaha ..

cedk .. HAHAHA, just noticed the reply .. TOO funny .. yeah, that anne, gotta watch out for her .. lol. ..

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-08-01 08:17 ]

woodse

Aug 1, 2002, 3:55 PM
Post #16 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YIKES!!!

I can see this becoming a pretty hot topic! I think in the future this has gotta be done some other way, I understand the desire to know more about the people you're meeting to climb with but a public forum on it????

woodsE

choppie

Aug 1, 2002, 4:04 PM
Post #17 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dannyhell,
WTF!!!!!At the very least you need to post an apology to Anne publicly, since you decided to cast doubts her way ....PUBLICLY!!!!!!!!
You started your post by saying "This is probably not the best way of going about this...."DUHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Anne is a goddess and a scholar, you should consider yourself lucky to be asked to join her and as Gawd said you are ultimately resposible for your self on a climbing trip!!!! Word to Gawd (damn, that makes me sound born again, perish the thought)
Next time (as if anyone would invite you now)
take this shizz to P.M, or just turn the person down, or worse yet come climbing with me hehehehehe talk about scary!!!!!!!!!

"On Belay"
"yea, maybe"
"Climbing"
"Whatever"

danyelle

Aug 1, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #18 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so some of you don't believe in a public forum. Many of you seem to have too much time on your hands to respond in such numbers to a question posted less than 24 hours ago. Is this like your only hobby, chatting about climbing online.

If those of you so up in arms over the posting should seriously reevaluate your position in light of the harsh realiy of today's culture. There are people not trustworthy in this world today and there are plenty of people who have gotten hurt trusting strangers in this manner. I have spoken to Anne over the phone and appreciate her contribution to climbing however if I am going to be RESPONSIBLE for MYSELF as some of you have suggested I think the best way to do it is now, before I take that leap of faith not after. I always hope for the best and try to prepare for the worst. Wouldn't you want your sisters, brothers, daughters, and even best friends to do the same, or do you care so little for your loved ones that you would just send them off with a toothbrush and a sleeping bag and say "see ya when I see ya!"

Excuse the F**k out of me for having the sense not to blindly plunge into every adventure I might encounter in life. Besides if Anne is a great person then this is the perfect opportunity for people to praise her, however it seems most of you have never met her offline.

choppie

Aug 1, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #19 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UHHHHHHH...Yea.....
Title of your post: "Who can dish the dirt on Climbing Anne and her friends?"

Your honor, I rest my case..........

woodse

Aug 1, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #20 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is actually a large number of us who have met Anne but we're not going to get on here and talk about her. This I will say:

"Use your best judgement when climbing with anybody new and trust me Anne is not a serial killer or anything! A beer snob....maybe! "

woodsE

rockwomyn

Aug 1, 2002, 4:41 PM
Post #21 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

danyelle
you don't know me either but i will be at nelson this weekend too. if everyone still has there panties in a bunch others will be around!!! this is one way this site is so lame!!! I really didn't see your question being as out of line as all these grannies seem to be making it out to be. it seems to me that fears of hooking up with complete strangers in this day in age is not so out of the ordinary.
see you this weekend and just plan to have fun!!!

ps....and don't mess up again!!!!! LOL!!!!

stewbabby

Aug 1, 2002, 4:42 PM
Post #22 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Doh!"
"What if I'm taking a shower and I slip on a bar of soap? Oh my god I'd be killed!"-homer simpson

Anne is my hero!

I got your back anne!

stewart

fiend

Aug 1, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #23 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How is danyelle supposed to recieve a valid assesment of Anne's nature by PMing users?

A) she could just randomly start PMing people, saying "Do you know Anne? Is she unsafe?". I'm sure that would have gone over well.

B) she could have read the thread about who's climbed with who and PM'd some of the people Anne said she'd climbed with, but what if Anne only listed those people she'd gotten along with? Of course they'd have all good things to say.

C) She could post here in the forum asking for character references like she did. People didn't have to reply in public, they could have PMed her their feelings towards Anne. This allows anyone who's met Anne to speak their mind.

Danyelle is just being cautious. I applaud that in her. The world is a f---ed up place right now and there are people being kidnapped, raped and killed every minute of every day. The tone of her post was light hearted and she tried to do it without offending Anne.

Quote:Anyone want to ease my tension and share their personal experiences with Anne. Anne if you read this posting, please don't be offended, just a cautious move to keep everyone on the up and up.

Give the girl a break. Just because she's using her brains is no reason to go jump on her.

Everyone talks about rockclimbing.com's great sense of community but lately I've hardly been able to read the site because of all the arguing and petty attacking that goes on. This is a prime example.

rockwomyn

Aug 1, 2002, 4:46 PM
Post #24 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good call fiend.....since everyone else seems to want to rip danyelle to shreds for being honest.

i am glad someone realized this isn't attack anne day!!!!

so of these replies are just down right mean and not necessary!!!

danyelle

Aug 1, 2002, 4:48 PM
Post #25 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I know how to PM but it serves no purpose if you don't know WHO to ask! It's like sending a kid to the dictionary to look up a word they don't have a clue how to spell.

As for "dishing the dirt" well that is not offensive nor intented to be. I simply want to know all I can, good, bad, indiferent about the person I plan to trust for the next 4 days. If you noticed I WAS 95% sure I would join her to begin with. And as far as who invited who. I believe that was mutual. PM'd Anne with my contact information and asked if she would be interested in joining me. She responded by calling and inviting me to join her. My plans were more flexible so we talked and I planned to be there Sat. I am still considering it and only want the opportunity to find out as much as I can before I committ. I don't see the harm in asking about someone if there is nothing to hide. I know I have nothing to hide, and nothing to loose by asking.

As for an apology, it was built into my intial posting. Come on, do you really think I did this to piss anyone off. I WANT TO GO! Only on an informed basis. So far I feel as uninformed as when I began. I guess the COMMUNITY my friends have always spoke of, the climbers willing to lend a hand, are still stuck somewhere in a closet. They sure aren't on this website.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook