RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

erin

Oct 8, 2005, 3:20 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Tough Lesson From Group Rappel
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have learned a tough lesson this weekend, and I wanted to share it with you. My partner and I were climbing Crimson Crysalis on our first trip to Red Rocks, and knew it would take us about 1.5 hours to hike out. We had a great climb and it was a beautiful day. After 4 pitches, we waited ONE HOUR on a small ledge in order to let two groups behind pass us as we didn't want to hold them up from summiting. At 4:30, after completeting pitch 6, we decided to call it a day, because we knew it would take an hour to rappel, and then we still had the hike out and wanted to be at the car around 7 to avoid hiking in the dark. After we rappelled the first pitch, the four guys that we had courteously let pass us, rappelled down onto our anchors with us. We already had our rappel set up and my partner was getting ready to start, when the other group, WITHOUT ASKING OR SAYING ANYTHING, started to thread their rope through the rings. My partner said, "um...we're getting ready to go, so we'll just pull our ropes when we get down", and the other guys said, "Well, no...you can't do that because it's friction on the ropes" after the assholes had threaded through without asking. So, not wanting to be rude, we had to wait for all four of them and do a group rappel with SIX people. This turned our one hour rappel into a two hour ordeal, and we did not get down until 6:15. Then, all four guys just took off down the mountain (leaving us to hike out in the dark, when they knew it was our first time there). It was pitch dark at 7, and we did not make it back to our car until 11, as we found it next to impossible to follow the trail (even though we had headlamps). So, the tough lesson I learned is that I will never let a group drop in on us again. We tried to be nice and got screwed. If you drop a rope or something and are stuck on the mountain, I'll help you out, but if you have two ropes, you'll wait your f***ing turn.

kman

Oct 8, 2005, 4:53 AM
Post #2 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tough Lesson From Group Rappel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the point of yelling at them on the net when they probably won't see it anyways? You let them get away with it. Next time don't take shit instead of brewing over it later. Shoulda coulda woulda.

trevzilla

Oct 8, 2005, 6:14 AM
Post #3 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sucks dude. Sorry about that. I think that the general climbing attitude isn't like that though. You just got unlucky with those A**holes.

sava6e

Oct 8, 2005, 6:32 AM
Post #4 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ahh this remindes me of a trip i was on me and a buddy had reached the top of thios route and it was only 1 pitch no big deal, however these fuckin canadians started climbing right behind us and i said this is the only way down so were gonna have to get down by right where you are climbign so the chick leading says to her partner some shit in french and then he says its a big enough ledge for all of us and i know its not, so im trying to hurry up so we wont have any problems but by now shes clipped the last bolt and it was runout at the top bout 20 feet and im like uuuuuuuuuummm i dont know where your gonna go i told you, and shes like uh, so i didnt pity her cuz she should have listened to someone who is actually at the top and knows the conditions. long story short iu wish i had learn a few choice words when i took french in school, but they understood my english or as some say french, i dont know bout most of you but ive been having bad encounters wiht canadians recently, so im pretyt anti canada right now! anywayz off my tangent that sux bro yeah i know how you might have felt and didnt want to start any confrentations as you are not in the ideal situation, it only takes one crazy fucker to decide your going to have an accident and not live, i myself have scurted confrentations cuz that reason.

alpnclmbr1

Oct 8, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #5 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another, let's pretend to be rockclimbers thread.

From your description, I can only assume that you froze, and that you were the one that created the problem.

Savage is worse.

Where do you people come from?

Partner srwings

Oct 8, 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #6 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Erin,

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate these anecdotes and hope you continue to post them.

On a related note I hope you have thick skin because I'll be really surprised if you don't get a lot of replies like: "
In reply to:
Shoulda coulda woulda.
"

erin

Oct 8, 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What's the point of yelling at them on the net when they probably won't see it anyways? You let them get away with it. Next time don't take s--- instead of brewing over it later. Shoulda coulda woulda.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post...and I do have thick skin, so I understood this would get mixed replies. Yes, shoulda, coulda, woulda. However, the mistakes we make in life are what we learn from. I learned a valuable lesson, and wished to share it with others. Hopefully, it will keep someone else from ending up in the same shitty situation I was in. As to the person who said we froze...??? What do you mean? As far as them threading the rope through over ours? It wasn't so much freezing as not wanting to be mean...That's the lesson I learned...You can't play nice guy...watch out for yourself, help others if they need it. These guys didn't need help, next time I know to not be too nice.

dotc

Oct 8, 2005, 1:09 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i had learn a few choice words when i took french in school, but they understood my english

So, you went to school... How did that work out for you?

clayman

Oct 8, 2005, 1:32 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sava6e

That's too bad, hum.... could it simply be you're just a f------- idiot.

threadkilla

Oct 8, 2005, 2:35 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Erin, may I suggest assertivness training. You chicks need to get more aggro. If some tool tried to thread his rope through the same rings as mine, he would have been eating his teeth for lunch.

enjoimx

Oct 8, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Threadkilla wrote:

In reply to:
Erin, may I suggest assertivness training. You chicks need to get more aggro. If some tool tried to thread his rope through the same rings as mine, he would have been eating his teeth for lunch.

I find it ironic that your name is "Threadkilla" LOL

lewisiarediviva

Oct 8, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Assertiveness is all fine and good until someone else comes along and is more assertive than yourself.

Don't assume assertiveness was the issue.

The point here is that someone was an Ass.

thomaskeefer

Oct 8, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Assertiveness is good.. But then again I am 6'1" 180 which is small by most definitions but on most routes, not so much.

Assertiveness is not a synonym for aggressiveness though. Thinking for a second about what I would have done had I been in your shoes, I would have asked them to wait for us to simul-rap and then be off. If they were not hip that, then I would offer that we could join forces and get them and their big group down faster working together and get two stations going at once.. (first one down raps down with their ropes and rigs the next station and so on). If that did not work, F-them.. sheaths are designed to take friction and OBTW, the chains on crimson are large enough that you could easily thread your cord through a link in each chain and then aleviate the problem all together...

We had a similar thing happen on Sons of Yesterday in the Valley. We were on the way down and some dude is bitching about this that and the other.. a simple 'yeah.. I pretty much got out of suffering through everyone rapping through me by getting up a little earlier- try it next time that you decide to get on one of the most crowded routes in the park or dont whine about something you knew would be happening'

kubi

Oct 8, 2005, 8:49 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i had learn a few choice words when i took french in school, but they understood my english

So, you went to school... How did that work out for you?

judging by the exemplary English skillz displayed in that post...I'd say it worked out pretty well.

gunkiemike

Oct 8, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I woulda let them thread their rope, then rapped and pulled mine. Since it's moving, my rope won't get badly melted (I wouldn't expect any damage at all, but I haven't tried this). Theirs, being motionless as you run 30m of rope against it, would be a well-deserved mess.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook