Oct 10, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #76 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Re: i <3 my bike [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ok, bought bike shorts last week.

this afternoon the first time sportin' the spandex...

honestly.. i feel a little silly...

i'm sure i'll come back raving about it though.

heres to hoping that the dude i'm going riding with realizes i'm NOT IN SHAPE and is ok with either waiting for me at the end of the trail or chillin on the pace a little, lol...

If you haven't worn them out to the bar... er on the bike yet - take 'em back and get bibs. You'll thank me and they give you that muscle man look.

hasbeen

Oct 10, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #77 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, I got the American Flyers reference (especially with the A.F. clue you left.) Remember their training partner, Eddie?

Which two do you count as bike movies?
-American Flyers?
-Breaking Away?
-Quicksilver?

What about:
-A Suday in Hell?
-Pee Wee's Big Adveture?

I'm sure there are others.

Have you heard of plans for a movie about Major Taylor? I'd like to see that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hasbeen wrote:

what this really means is that those mag editors need to get out and do something with their lives besides climb. i'm sure it would make their rags infinitely more readable.

the above quote was from a "devil's dictionary" style peice on some climbing terms and other stuff. like "bouldering- the pursuit of climbing small rocks loudly."

from where? never heard of it. i would find it entertaining if that' the exact language they used and it wasn't one of my friends who wrote it.

oh, yeah, quicksilver. that would, indeed, count as a biking movie.

sunday in hell is a documentary, so it doesn't count.

clausti, i have an office so my bike comes inside. but others here that don't have offices just find a place. i would think most companies would be cool about this, since it would be a poor political move not to.

i do lock my drinkin' bike outside. if you're going to lock a commuter bike, make sure it's a piece of shit. never lock up a bike you care about for very long. friend of my locked his shiney new felt up outside a bar at happy hour. that turned into, well, more than happy hour and the drunker he got the less he checked on his bike. by the time they kicked him out, he was taking a cab home and hoping his buddies at felt had another pro form available.

clausti

Oct 10, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #78 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[quote="clausti"
the above quote was from a "devil's dictionary" style peice on some climbing terms and other stuff. like "bouldering- the pursuit of climbing small rocks loudly."

from where? never heard of it. i would find it entertaining if that' the exact language they used and it wasn't one of my friends who wrote it.

its from rock and ice 145 [october]. same issue with the women ice climbers in it.

the exact quote runs as follows

mountain bike: n. an unnecessarily ticked-out bicycle used to ride to the coffee shop when your long board is broken. can also be used to antagonize runners and hikers on your local trails.

attributed to matt samet. i thought it was pretty frigging funny. there were a bunch of other good ones.

clausti

Oct 10, 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #79 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

heres to hoping that the dude i'm going riding with realizes i'm NOT IN SHAPE and is ok with either waiting for me at the end of the trail or chillin on the pace a little, lol...

If you haven't worn them out to the bar... er on the bike yet - take 'em back and get bibs. You'll thank me and they give you that muscle man look.

lol, uhh i'm a chick. i'm not really into the whole muscle man look. on me. :roll:

hasbeen

Oct 11, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #80 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hasbeen

Oct 11, 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #81 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on that note, a girl i mtn bike with has these cool-looking short baggies. she gets so many comments about how hot her legs look in them she says she's going to start wearing them out at night.

if you'd like, i'll ask her what brand they are.

Partner angry

Oct 11, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #82 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lol, uhh i'm a chick. i'm not really into the whole muscle man look. on me. :roll:

Well, there is no muscle man look, as any self respecting person would never in his wildest nightmare wear the bib portion over the clothes.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT Never wear bibs over your jersey.

Guys wear bibs because they are nice, girls wear shorts because of their nipples.

clausti

Oct 11, 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #83 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
on that note, a girl i mtn bike with has these cool-looking short baggies. she gets so many comments about how hot her legs look in them she says she's going to start wearing them out at night.

if you'd like, i'll ask her what brand they are.

i know cannondale has some that look kind of like if board shorts and those prana bouldering shorts had a kid and it was brown.

they were 85 bucks though. so i didnt buy those ones. though its a distinct possibility of me springing for it at some point.

biking this afternoon was awesome. dispite the fact that i crashed in about every conceivable way you can dumb-ass crash and not seriously injure yourself.

small scrape on my hip, scratched left forearm [as if my left forearm doesnt have enough scrapes and burns and shit on it] and a bruise on my right elbow. i made out pretty lucky. lol.

"how comfortable are you on the trail?"
"ummmmm i havent been on one in a year and a half."
"..."
" ya know i did tell you i hadnt actually taken the bike out on a trail since i had it up here, like a month and a half ago..."
"yeah, but that happens.... so we should do some basic stuff."
"basic stuff sounds about right"

some time later

"oh FUCK"
::crash::
"you alright man? i keep forgetting that i shouldn't take beginners down this section of the trail.... "

some time later, end of the ride

::me walking the bike, him waiting for me at the top of the hill::
"ya know, you're supposed to ride that thing."
"i cant get both feet back in the pedals on the hill."
"oh."

lol, good times.

hasbeen

Oct 11, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #84 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rad.

don't worry. you'll be clearing all that stuff in no time.

well i injured my knee this weekend, and can't ride (fuckin' hate driving to work with the rest of the sheep) so i'll just live vicariously through you. guess i'll go do some pull-ups instead.

hasbeen

Oct 11, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #85 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, I got the American Flyers reference (especially with the A.F. clue you left.) Remember their training partner, Eddie?

forgot to answer this part.

of course. went training with eddie just the other day. needed some work on my sprinting, and eddie's a good sprinter.

actually, i'm not sure it was eddie, since eddie lived in wisconsin in the 80s. but it sure did look like him, so that what i called him as i sprinted away. he didn't manage to eat my shoe...

flash5twelve

Oct 11, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #86 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:
Well, there is no muscle man look, as any self respecting person would never in his wildest nightmare wear the bib portion over the clothes.

Guys wear bibs because they are nice, girls wear shorts because of their nipples.

You'll have to forgive my brother. He sometimes dresses with his underware outside of his pants.

flash5twelve

Oct 11, 2005, 1:10 AM
Post #87 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

forgot to answer this part.

of course. went training with eddie just the other day. needed some work on my sprinting, and eddie's a good sprinter.

actually, i'm not sure it was eddie, since eddie lived in wisconsin in the 80s. but it sure did look like him, so that what i called him as i sprinted away. he didn't manage to eat my shoe...

With all this talk, I had to go rent American Flyers. We watched it last night--I hadn't seen it probably 10-15 years. Fun stuff. My girfriend liked it better than Breaking Away--she fell asleep for that one. Go Cutters!

hasbeen

Oct 11, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #88 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a guy on my bike team is married to one of the girls "i'll be a fig newton".

apparently, she now hates biking, which i think happened when she was doing ironman hawaii (damn lava fields).

better than breaking away! impossible.

"that's itee food. there'll be no ini in the house. no zucchini, no fettucini. i want american food, damnit. i want french fries!"

cthcrockclimber

Oct 11, 2005, 1:53 AM
Post #89 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hell yah! Trials, Freeride, DJ, you name it!

vulgarian

Oct 11, 2005, 2:03 AM
Post #90 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fucked up post - see below

vulgarian

Oct 11, 2005, 2:09 AM
Post #91 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:

You'll have to forgive my brother. He sometimes dresses with his underware outside of his pants.

Fuck...you're NOT supposed to wear your bibs over your jersey!? I wonder if this has anything to do with all those other cyclists mistaking me for some guy named "Fred" Maybe Fred wears his bibs over his jersey too and he has a bike like mine cuz these guys are always saying things to me like: "On your left - Fred", or "Fuck-off Fred", or "Get the fuck outta the paceline -Fred."

That really helps a lot, thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to go back to 'Dolphin' shorts and kneehigh tube socks. At least then they just called me "Greg"

vulgarian

Oct 11, 2005, 2:15 AM
Post #92 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

:oops: Sorry Clausti, I just returned to the site after some time off and didn't take the time to look at your profile.

On the other hand, bibs on a chick might have that "chick in a stretched out 'wife-beater' look which are always in fashion with me.

Peace.

clausti

Oct 11, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #93 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm just amazed at your openminded-ness.

to *still* be able to assume i'm a dude, despite the fact that i entitled the thread i [heart] my bike.

lol... [its]

flash5twelve

Oct 11, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #94 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

to *still* be able to assume i'm a dude, despite the fact that i entitled the thread i [heart] my bike.

lol... [its]

Well, he did just admit to wearing Dolphin shorts.

http://photos1.blogger.com/.../640/bootyshorts.jpg
Vulgarian in his Dolphins

jasona

Oct 11, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #95 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to post a link for any women looking for bibs. As you can see they are not for men only

www.assos.com

vulgarian

Oct 11, 2005, 3:09 AM
Post #96 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

lol... [its]

Well, he did just admit to wearing Dolphin shorts.

http://photos1.blogger.com/.../640/bootyshorts.jpg

Hell yes, I started the craze back in the seventies. I used to put on some "Dolphins", pull up my tube socks to just under my knee, throw on some white Nike's with a red swoosh, splash on an ample amount of "Stetson", top it off with my "Jesus was Gay" tank-top and go to a biker bar to get my ass kicked. It made me tough and forced me to learn how to take pain and run fast, all of which made me a better cyclist. These are all just training methods for real men. I don't need no stink'n supplements.

Hell, you should see my sprint training method: put on some chaps, stick an american flag up your ass, ride your bike up to a construction site after work call 'em all 'faggots' and set your maximum speed to zero.

flash5twelve

Oct 11, 2005, 3:23 AM
Post #97 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hell, you should see my sprint training method: put on some chaps, stick an american flag up your ass, ride your bike up to a construction site after work call 'em all 'faggots' and set your maximum speed to zero.

Hey, I bet that works better than training with Eddie.

clausti

Oct 11, 2005, 4:00 AM
Post #98 of 105 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btw if that's really your ass....

damn.

vulgarian

Oct 11, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #99 of 105 (2868 views)