RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

tac_pac

Oct 15, 2005, 3:41 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1562 views)
Shortcut

finger pop - no swelling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was playing around at the gym today on a crimpy route and as I was pulling hard on a side pull I heard the dreaded 'pop' sound as I became 'disconected' from the route, ie my hand suddenly let go and I fell...

Afterwards my ring finger (the one fro the hand that let go) has some pain when I curl the fingers in - the pain is isolated to the 'upper' joint, the one nearest the tip. More specifically there is minor but sharp pain when I crimp. When the hand is relaxed there is no pain. The thing that seperates this from other finger 'pops' (pulley ruptures/tears) I found searching this site is there is no swelling/discoloration of the finger. O and one more symptom the finger is stiff around the upper joint....

I normally would just say couple of weeks off mandatory no matter what, but as luck would have it I have a climbing trip coming up shortly... I was just wondering if anyone else has had the sensation of there finger 'pop'ing but had no swelling and only moderate amount of pain (also no imediate onset of pain with the pop) and what the future held for them...

thanks
tac

mrsuicide

Oct 15, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Re: finger pop - no swelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a similar experience. i took 4 weeks off, 4 weeks of easy stuff. probably took me 4 months to feel 100%

lofstromc

Oct 15, 2005, 4:12 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can rest it now or rest it later. If you climb on it it will take longer to recover.
Get some ice and some anti-inflammatory medicine, that might speed it up.

squierbypetzl

Oct 15, 2005, 4:54 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Iīd say go to a doctor if you feel you need it.
If you decide against this (why you would I donīt know), make sure to tape it up real good when you climb again.

hosebeats

Oct 15, 2005, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the same thing happen to me while doing pullups on a door jam. Try and give it a break for as long as you can. Ten days at least, longer if you can help it. When you do climb tape it heavily. I found taping it to my middle finger helped a lot as well. Oh, and try to stay off of crimpy stuff. :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook