Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Mt Mag: Access info & gripes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bsignorelli

Oct 17, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Mt Mag: Access info & gripes  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Ouachitas: Mount_Magazine_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Summary: Park at the hang gliding area and then hike up the road to the old Waterfall trail for a much easier time in getting to the bottom of the bluff. Still be prepared to bushwack once you are on the main trail.

As you may know, the great state of Arkanistan is building a temple to the Almighty Dollar (the new lodge) on top of the climbing bluff.

The Park currently tells you to park at the hanggliding area and scramble down to the top of the Centerfold Wall. Based on observations yesterday.....this sucks. How to get to the trail from the parking area isn't clearly defined...currently you have to walk along the construction boundry through tall weeds and brush. Then you walk down the trail marked "climbers trail" and at some point you have to make an educated guess about where to peel off the trail to get to the top of Centerfold. Once at the top you are left with a steep scramble down to the actual top of Centerfold Crack...my partner and I found this scramble to be rather scary with a pack on.

Then you either rap off or walk down to the bottom. We choose to walk down but that was a mistake...the trail is hardly used and well overgrown.

Once down to the "main bluff trail" I was again dissappointed to see that the park has not spent any money on maintaining the trail. It too is uber-overgrown and just seems to dissappear at times.

One would think that they could spare some of the $30(?) Million dollars that are spending on the lodge to buy some weed-b-gone and a pair of loppers. :)

Over the course of the day we made our way along the bluff to the old walk down (the Waterfall trail). The main trail never really improved and we always seemed to be losing it or bushwacking.

We hiked up the waterfall trail which really hasn't changed much since construction began. I did notice that it looks like the drainage from the new lodge parking lot will be directed right into the waterfall trail. I expect the trail to get washed out to some degree after the first big rainstorm unless the park people do something to mitigate the velocity of the water coming out of that big pipe.

From the waterfall trail we easily made it to the road (via a new sidewalk) and walked back to our vehicle...all the time wondering what politico thinks that lodge will ever make money?

That feels a little better...

rhu

Oct 17, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mt Mag: Access info & gripes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did you walk down? The only one that I have ever known about is the waterfall one. Since construction has been going on we have always just rapped from the big tree at the bottom of the "climber's trail" and that spits us out right beside Eurodog. I have found this to be pretty convenient for me/us. We also usually just scramble up the old pipe just West of there and that too is pretty convenient. As far as the lodge goes I think that it is a pretty enormous eye sore. Something much more tasteful and less expensive could/should have been done in my opinion.

ww

Oct 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thought I should remind you of one of your posts from earlier this summer, seems as though you've changed your mind:

In reply to:
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:40 pm

You mean, like, no more gym rats or pad people? (c:

Climbers hike in to climbing areas all the time. If it's a four mile hike in then you better get started a little earlier. Or hike in and camp for a night or two.

Frankly, I wish Mt Mag had a longer hike....kinda sick that you can (practically) rap off the balcony of the new lodge and land in the climbing area.

Bryan
Don't mean to flame, but that was irresistable.
Wes

mrhungus

Oct 17, 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooohhhh, he burned ya Brian, gotta admit.... I personally don't mind the walk down or rap-in. That doesn't mean I like the insanely gigantic super-structure that is being built. I think/hope when the park finally gets done with all the construction they will turn their attention to the little details, like the trail system near the cliff. I am looking forward to getting killed when all the adults and little kids think its neat when they start hurling death boulders off the cliffs that will explode our heads on impact. Only time will tell..........................................................

bsignorelli

Oct 18, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where did you walk down?

We parked by the hang gliding area and walked down the "climbers trail" to the top of Centerfold Wall.

In reply to:
I have found this to be pretty convenient for me/us. We also usually just scramble up the old pipe just West of there and that too is pretty convenient.

It can be convienent except it was totally overgrown. I mean...I'm not a slacker when it coumes to finding a trail...this was overgrown to the point of not being there in many places.

In reply to:
Thought I should remind you of one of your posts from earlier this summer, seems as though you've changed your mind. Don't mean to flame, but that was irresistable.

I don't mind it....that really wasn't a flame. You'll notice my comments were not about he length of the hike but rather the condition that the trail was in. (Especially when compared to the attention to the new lodge)

And even then...if this was a trail to a wilderness climbing area then sweet...bring on the bushwacking. But this is a trail right under a brand new lodge...this state park is supposed to be the new crown jewel of the Arkansas state park system.

I really just hope that they pay attention to historical users of the area instead of just looking at dollar signs from the RV and motel crowd.

Maybe we need a trail maintenance day down there. If they advertised one then I'd be there with my loppers and gloves.

Here are two pics that show how big and how close the lodge is to the trail and climbing area. Click on them for a larger version...

http://tinyurl.com/a8guy

http://tinyurl.com/d4qac

In reply to:
Ooohhhh, he burned ya Brian

STFU c.j. ya stooge.... :)

Bryan

fitzontherocks

Oct 18, 2005, 2:01 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brian, Brian, Brian. Tsk tsk. Why must you be so negative and anti-progress?
But thanks for the smile... "the drainage from the new lodge parking lot will be directed right into the waterfall trail." You mean the "waterfall trail" might get "water" in it? If you must b#tch, call me up. I'll listen.

(And I will pass your comments along to the State Parks director.)

bsignorelli

Oct 18, 2005, 2:24 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Brian, Brian, Brian. Tsk tsk. Why must you be so negative and anti-progress?

You mean...why do I doubt the state being able to fill up a huge lodge/conference building in a state park that is really not close to ANYTHING!?!? :)

No towns with resturants nearby...nothing to do on top of the mountain really (other than a couple of short trails for the non-climbing public)...no nearby airport...etc etc etc.

The lodge...like the LR trolly system...will remain underused. :lol:

In reply to:
But thanks for the smile... "the drainage from the new lodge parking lot will be directed right into the waterfall trail." You mean the "waterfall trail" might get "water" in it?

Bill, bill, bill...you stick to writing copy and posing in state park climbing pictures...

http://tinyurl.com/4e9xo

...and I'll stick to drainage issues :-)

But yes...the waterfall trail was a natural drainage...but that doesn't mean it's ok to pipe runoff right into it. Like I said...I'll be interested to see what it looks like after a few big rains. Maybe it will just wash away all the loose rock on the part of the trail climbers use. But I wonder about the dirt on the hillside below there.

In reply to:
If you must b#tch, call me up. I'll listen.

Speaking of bitching...when are you gonna post a trip report from the Gunks this past week? If you need help getting the pictures online let me know.

Bryan :twisted:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook