RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

billy_bluegum

Oct 27, 2005, 1:26 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

bloody flappers!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does anybody know secret tips on how to deal with large flappers so they heal faster. (so i can repeat the process in a few days!)?

skatedork

Oct 27, 2005, 1:32 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Re: bloody flappers! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't say this will work for you, but when I get home I clip the flapping skin, throw some Neosporin on it and a band aide at night, and then let them air out all day. In a matter of a day or so I notice a difference. I rarely get flappers anymore, but when I do this seems to work best for me. You cant to keep them dry, but not so dry the skin is cracking as it heals.

Remember, tape is your friend! :)

billy_bluegum

Oct 27, 2005, 1:48 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks ill give it a shot..... :D

mdacar

Oct 27, 2005, 2:21 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Liquid band-aid works great. Its a bit on the expensive side but it doesn't sting like nu-skin.

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 27, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its all about prevention - dont let your callouses get that thick and hard and they will have less of a tendancy to get caught and rip and make you bleed

when you start noticing them getting thick - sand em down. its just excess dead skin anyway - ive found a nice 60 grit to work well

as for post flapper, krazyglue works well too

outsideguyzak

Oct 27, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

super glue works, stings though. Be careful when you superglue, make sure you tape it at first. Otherwise it will get caught again and rip off the skin and the glue and the skin attached to the glue....Not pretty.

panicfan

Oct 27, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neosporin and a band-aid all the time...day and night...worked great for me...healed up in 2 days and was able to climb on it

jonzoclimber

Oct 27, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that any rip that i may get from over calacing isnt going to be as bad or even remotly close to as bad as the same exact rip would have been when your hands are less calaced.

skatedork

Oct 27, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.gravityhole.com/finger.jpg

I find calises to be my friend now. This is when I first started climbing. Not fun!

trenchdigger

Oct 27, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never knew there were so many ways to spell callous...

When you do get flappers, make sure to send pix to these guys... http://www.bloodyflapper.com/flapper/

Check out their vids too... especially the "Centex" ones.

shiggetyshiva

Oct 27, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As stated above, neosporin and band-aids at night work well. Another option instead of antibiotic ointment is aloe vera. Squeeze some of the juice right in your flapper and apply a band-aid. Cheaper and more natural.

Also, for cuticle damage around your fingernails, Burts Bees makes a great little product that you apply at night to your nails and fingertips - cuticle cream i think it's called.

coach_sommer

Oct 31, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably the most over-used part of a gymnast's body is his hands. Rips, blisters and torn callouses are an unfortunate fact of everyday life for us. Over the years we have tried many methods of dealing with them.

First and foremost of these is reasonable moderation. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your callouses be. You would like to work up to the edge of a rip, but not over that edge into an actual rip. It takes much longer to heal an injury and completely regrow new callous than to add another layer to an old. Also don't discount the negative impact unnecessary rips will have on your training.

The most efficient method that we have found to promote new callous growth is simple but rather painful. It is also an excellent way to promote callous health when you hands are simply "hot".

1) Remove the torn callous; trimming as closely to the edge of the wound as comfortably possible.

2) Smooth the edges of the wound with either a razor blade (proceed slowly!) or a pumice stone. These are available in handled versions as foot callous scrappers at all drug stores.

3) Now soak your torn callous in a bowl of water super-saturated with salt (to supersaturate continue adding salt to a warm container of water until the salt in no longer able to continue dissolving and you have a small amount of undissolved salt in the bottom) several times a day for at least 10 minutes.

Initially this may be quite painful. How painful will depend on the depth of the rip. If it is a very deep "bloody" rip, you are in for an interesting experience. It is necessary however as we need to encourage the growth of callous immediately, rather than new soft pink skin that will simply re-tear right away anyway. Unless the blister is unusually deep, in one to two days it should be mostly healed - compared to the 5-7 days needed for conventional treatments.

4) Use just enough medicated chapstick (my personal choice as you can easily carry it in your pocket) to prevent drying to such an extent that the rip cracks. Do not however use Neosporin or something similar; in my experience the use of these types of products will promote the growth of new skin rather than a protective sheath of callous.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

http://t-nation.com/...ic.do?id=512003

Partner fowler214

Oct 31, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

3m makes a great liquid skin. I put it on the new rips and go about my day. Before I climb I put it on again, makes a nice hard pad, tape up and go. If the liquid skin comes of it does not take any new skin with it. The 60 grit sand paper works pretty good to.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook