Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Repairing Hugh Banner Flexi Fix cams ????
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

zquiff

Oct 30, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Repairing Hugh Banner Flexi Fix cams ????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not having any luck finding a repair kit for these cams. I have a broken trigger on my #5 cam. Any advice would be appreciated. Johnny.

drytooler

Oct 31, 2005, 8:33 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: Repairing Hugh Banner Flexi Fix cams ???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you cant fined a HB replace mend a wild country shout do fine on the Hugh banner flexi flex. its almost the same trigger mechanism.

olympicmtnboy

Oct 31, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you break that little plastic trigger bar? I did on one of my ukranian made HB copies a bit ago, actually my newbie partner did trying to clean it with a nut tool. I figured it wasn't worth the effort of tracking a replacement down so I did it myself, some stiff wire or a couple of thin nails and some JB Weld plumbers putty. I glued the old trigger bar back together with the nails as stiffeners, bent to go around the trigger wires. It's held up great for the past three years or so, hasn't affected the functionality, and is probably stronger than my other plastic ones. Plus it has that funky homemade feel that really freaks your partners out. But hey, it's not a weight bearing component during a fall. :-)

zquiff

Nov 1, 2005, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, the plastic is fine. The cable on trigger which is made up of many small twisted wires began to fray and broke at the joint that meets the small solid cable on trigger (not the lobe side - opposite side).

It was a real eye opener because my partner and I place the piece all the time and as I was racking up I noticed that there were only 2 small wires holding the thing together and that the other side was starting to fray as well. I'm pretty good about looking over my gear regularly and can't figure out how this slipped by and seemed to happen so fast! My partner says he doesn't remember having any problems with it either, or so he claims ;)

jeremy11

Nov 1, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

find the thinnest cable and swedges (1/16") you can at the hardware store and just figure it out. I fixed both wires on a trango #7 this way and it works fine. in the bigger sizes it seems to work just looping the cable thru the hole then swedging on either side (just use pliers and mash it down good) - no need for the wire then the cable. try this for more advanced rigs
http://www.tradgirl.com/..._2.htm#make_triggers

jimdavis

Nov 1, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best way to fix an HB Flexi is to buy a different cam...I've used those cams a bunch as the program I work for has a set...and I hate em!

Good luck fixing it, but this might be a good time to upgrade.

Cheers,
Jim

zquiff

Nov 1, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear you Jim.. my next set of cams will be BD. I've only had these cams for about 2 years and expect to get some more use out of them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook