RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

duck

Aug 5, 2002, 4:13 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Duck's Cable Quickdraws
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

With apologies to the esteemed Dr.Piton But I *am* a Physicist you know.

While I would have to fall into the catagory of a Big Wall Theoriest I came upon an idea and thought I should share it with the class.

Dr.Duck's Cable Quickdraws.

While forageing for trash and trinkets at the local home improvement store yesterday I noted that whole spools of Aluminum aircraft cable are readily availible, and they will even cut you shorter bits to length. You can get it in dozens of different sizes, plastic sheathed or bare, you name it.

I have used this several times in the past for everything from lab projects (including the hanging of a 800lbs pendulum) to making my own furnature (you should see my bed!). While standing there yesterday the idea passed upon me.....

Why not make cable quickdraws?

The use of Aluminum cable is a safe, and established technology in rock climbing, look at your nuts, cams, and hex's, they're frequently tied in with a small diameter bit of cable crimped into place.

With nothing more than a short length of cable, a pair of crimps, and a crimping tool you could make a quickdraw, just add crabs!

And if you're hanging out with this bunch for any length of time you definately have crabs right?

They're cheap they're bomber and they're damn sexy so I was wondering why noone else had done this yet?

Thoughts?

Dr.Duck
Fiziks Phreak and Big Wall Theorist

justin334

Aug 5, 2002, 4:24 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Duck's Cable Quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm guessing there might be a weight issue when weighing aluminum against nylon webbing. I am by no means an expert on this topic but that just came to mind.

duck

Aug 5, 2002, 4:34 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not at all, the Aluminum cable would be a basic dogbone shape. A straight piece looped at each end into an Eye and crimped (just like you're Nuts are made).
Then you slip a crab into each end and presto, a Quickdraw

As far as loading issues.....you could easily hang my truck from one made with only 1/8" cable. It's amazingly strong, that's why the cables on nuts are so thin, because they can be

rocknpowda

Aug 5, 2002, 4:37 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tom Frost already has. I wasn't able to find their website, but you can contact them at F.R.O.S.T. tel./fax (303)444-4338 email:frost@diac.com

I agree though that it wouldn't be hard to swage your own quickdraws of any length if you had the equipment.

aarong

Aug 5, 2002, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FROST climbing gear makes cable draws. They have for several years.

bshaftoe

Aug 5, 2002, 4:39 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Duck,

As the good Dr. will undoubtedly point out, this has been done - the Frost draw pictured here.

(Don't know if its aluminum though.)

radistrad

Aug 5, 2002, 4:51 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dr Duck, a bit late.
They already have themhttp://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/biners/fro_powerdrws.html, Frost power draws.
However this does not mean that you can not market your own with your special "twist" on them. (edit)Maybe you can make some that are stronger than 10Kn, I'd like to see some at 20Kn.

[ This Message was edited by: radistrad on 2002-08-05 09:52 ]

duck

Aug 5, 2002, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, poo.........

I guess it would have to be considered a good idea then

Thank's for the info guys!

Dr.Duck

rockhugger

Oct 2, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NONE!! OF THE CABLES ON CLIMBING GEAR ARE MADE OF ALUMINUM!!! THEY ARE ALL EITHER GALVANIZED STEEL OR AS IN SOME CAMS STAINLESS STEEL AIRCRAFT CABLE. ALIENS HAVE GALVANIZED STEEL LIKE NUTS AND HEXES.I'M UNDER OATH SO I CANT LIE!

Partner euroford

Oct 2, 2002, 2:11 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stainless will definitly be the way to go.

when i get back to the office tommarow i'll look up strengths for ya. i've done a good bit of engineering with this tuff, its WAY strong.

wlderdude

Oct 2, 2002, 2:28 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you say ALUMINUM aircraft cable?
I have a hard time beliveing that anyone would make cable out of aluminum since its fatigue froperties are terrible.

As for strength/weight ratios, aluminum is really no better than steel. RIGITY/weight ratios, aluminum is MUCH better than steel, which is why we use if for climbing. A carabiner made out od 3/32" steel would buckle because of lack of RIGITY, not strength of material. But in cable, smaller diameter is good and rigity is bad.

My guess is that you were looking at steel aircraft cable. Should you use this for any climbing application, make certain the safe working load is VERRY HIGH. Most hardware store cable has safe working loads of less than 500 lbs, but you can ocassionally find the more expensive stuff that exceeds 1,000 lbs safe working loads (breaking strenght will be much higher). Use multiple crimpers since you don't have an Istron machine to test them individually, but don't let the cripmers keep the application from equalizing.

I made some nuts a few years ago. I did not really come out ahead and I should have just bought them. Live and learn I guess. If you have to buy a crimper tool ( I didn't), you will never come out ahead!

As for swaged draws, I would prefer soft materials that I could use for trad that would not rip my pro out of the rock. Also, a loop in cable is the weak point, so wraping it around a carabiner to keep it from rataing would weaken it signifacantly.

I could see some application, but universal application.

Keep thinking up these crazzy ideas. You may invent the next climbing breakthotugh. Better hurry, though, because I am almost there!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook