RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

convincing dad about bouldering wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Trying to convince dad to let me build bouldering wall in the basement. I tried the whole its father-son bonding time, but he didn't buy it. Any advice on what i should try. Also what kind of wall should i build. I got a pretty good space to build it in.

deserteaglle

Nov 1, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Re: convincing dad about bouldering wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a lot of really funny, really snide remarks to make, but I'll just keep them to myself.

BTW: Has your mom gotten pissed at you yet for using her baking flour as chalk? :lol:

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats not funny, and she doesn't know 'bout that whole adventure...

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats not funny, and she doesn't know 'bout that whole adventure...

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And to you immature ones, lets not torch the whole father son bonding time...heesh didn't think i'd have to say that.

grk10vq

Nov 1, 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW: Has your mom gotten pissed at you yet for using her baking flour as chalk? :lol:

classic

michaelmay513

Nov 1, 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell dad you'll pay for it.

deserteaglle

Nov 1, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And to you immature ones, lets not torch the whole father son bonding time...heesh didn't think i'd have to say that.

Ohhhhh dude, I had no intentions bashing the father son...you have no idea. It could have been hilarious, but I feel like being nice today...maybe tgreene would stoop that low :wink: .

BTW: Does anybody besides me understand the sting of being called immature by a fourteen year old? :)

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

15...but it wasn't to sting anyone. And i dont want to even know what possible bashing could of occured.

deserteaglle

Nov 1, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:) =joke

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would be...

bensnyder

Nov 1, 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you haven't been climbing for a long time, its possible that your parents are reluctant to let you build a wall in your basement because they don't feel you are fully commited to climbing (i.e. you forget about climbing in a month and never use your wall again). Maybe take a little more time to prove to them how serious you are about climbing.

Additionally:

Be clear that you will pay for all of the board.
Have a plan drafted for your wall and a list of required materials / estimated costs - this will both help your parents understand exactly what you want and how much room it will take up.
You need to convince them that you are capable of building a wall that is safe and structurally sound.
Make it clear to your parents why you want a wall. A viable reason might be not wanting to drive 6 hours back and forth to the gym every week, or for that matter, not wanting to have to pay for a gym membership at all. I'm sure you have your reasons...

samxbam8

Nov 1, 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bensnyder, I have been climbing a lot lately and have drafted up two walls. Thanks too for being the first series reply.

bensnyder

Nov 1, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #14 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No problem dude. I was in your situation a few months ago, and I now have a great home wall - its a very satisfying project to undertake. Good luck!

tcormack

Nov 2, 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I had the same problem. Have you offered to pay rent for the space you will use? It worked for me! Tip if you do build it add some angled walls. I didn't and now I've out grown it.
Good luck

Partner tgreene

Nov 2, 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #16 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG, the solution is soooo simple!!!123456789

If you don't already smoke pot, BEGIN NOW, and in copius amounts...

Once you've mastered the art of power hitting a bong w/o launching your lungs across the room, begin drinking heavily... I'm talking 24/7 heavy!

Finally, round up all the little cuties in your neighborhood (or mine even, like I fucking care) and bang em like drums.

I'm talking being the biggest trouble maker of a son that you could possibly become, without doing anything that will get you jail time, cause that would suck even though it would give you street creds.

When your folks get wind of what you've been doing lately and approach you to "have that talk", act really remorseful (don't be though, because what you did beats bouldering hands down -- remember, bouldering is for pussies!). When your parents suggest new activities, and that maybe it's time to begin that family project, tell them it's too late, and that they're already responsible for ruining your life.

I certainly hoped this has helped you, because I know I feel better! :mrgreen:

mingleefu

Nov 2, 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #17 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell them:
-if you have a wall in the basement, you'll be home more. When you go to college, they're going to miss you and will wish they could have spent more time with you around.
-time spent on the wall is time you aren't on the streets
-You'll pay for it yourself by getting a job, which teaches responsibility and builds character.
-taking on projects like this teaches independance and entreprenuerial spirit, which looks good in a job interviewl and the better jobs you get, the sooner you'll be able to support them in their old age.

Or you can:
-Read to them "Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony" By Shel Silverstein; tell them the climbing wall is your beautiful pony.
-start stockpiling holds in the living room and stash a few in every room in the house; explain that the only better place to put them is on a wall in the basement.
-Do pullup workouts on the door trim in the house, be sure to break one or two every workout.

Partner grovehunter

Nov 2, 2005, 2:24 AM
Post #18 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's great advice from everyone else but, I got a better way to get that wall quicker than you can fall from it. Try being there for your dad when he needs help. If your not sure, ask him what you could do to help. Start getting "house proud" real fast. If your parents think you care about their investment they will be more apt to let you modify that investment. :wink:
Let your friends know what you are up to. Have them come by and ask you to hang out, then tell them(In front of your Dad) naw, thanks but, I think I'll hang with my pop today. In other words be a friend to your dad without being a pushover. If you truly mean it your dad will start thinking about "what a great son I have". If you have a sister who climbs then all the better, because usually Daddy's little girl gets what she wants just by hounding him till he gives in. :cry: And if all your guy friends start to invite your sister to go climbing, then Dad's gonna wanna keep an eye on her. :twisted: No better way to do that than to let you build that wall. Now of course you're gonna have to mean all this and be patient. Also you're gonna have to give up a little time and teenage laziness to reach your ultimate goal. Try invitng your dad to go bouldering or climbing with you. And when you get that wall don't forget who gave it to you and how you got it! Be cool and let him come to you. I can't say that enough be cool and hide any resentment when things don't go your way. Cool and convincing that's the name of your new game....

superbum

Nov 2, 2005, 3:55 AM
Post #19 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell him a bouldering wall is better than doing drugs, getting girls drunk and pregnant, or taking up the bagpipes.

fire31rescue

Nov 2, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #20 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good one that worked for me was, to show him all the storage space that you will create BEHIND your wall. Dads always love that shit. More space to put stuff. And as long as your frame is bomber, a little extra wieght in the back won't hurt it a bit.

ajkclay

Nov 2, 2005, 6:12 AM
Post #21 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

G'day mate,

Your Dad is probably concerned about two things, cost and permanency.

Try to find a way to construct your support timbers from recycled wood and brainstorm other ways to keep the cost down. I am in Australia, so the options are probably a little different over there.

I am building one at the moment, I got all my support timber from the beams in a house that was being pulled down by my friend's brother.

Also, if you know someone in the construction industry (or your family does) they may be able to help with scrap timber, or even get you stuff at cost ;)

Also, tell your dad that it's only the dynabolts that go into the walls, everything else can be taken down and you wouldn't know they had been there.

Finally, if in the future you do decide to give it all away and take down the walls, the work you have done will add value to what was otherwise just plain wood. You might be able to find someone willing to buy them from you! Meaning you have earned some dollars!

Good luck!

Adam

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook