Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
living in yosemite
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

trailtripper

Nov 3, 2005, 3:20 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

living in yosemite  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: The_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

me and two friends want to stay in yosemite for two months this summer. probably july and august. our only problem is where to stay. we are poor so we cant afford a campsite for $10 each night.

what are our other options?

is it possible to hide in the forest for that long?

what happens if you are found not paying?

we wouldnt mind driving a few miles each day if it meant free camping

thanks for your help
-matt

t-dog
Deleted

Nov 3, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Re: living in yosemite [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhmmm, the sort of information about illegal camping you seem to be seeking out will not readily be shared on the web, for obvious reasons :x

If you still want to do it, go to camp 4, meet some dirtbags, and ask them how they do it. Plus, if you're spending half your time up on a big wall anyways, you don't have to pay for a campsite during that time!

trailtripper

Nov 3, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about parking? is it free? if not how much?

mingleefu

Nov 3, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

your options include: breaking the law.

You won't find many folks handing out their best "out of bounds" camping options for Yosemite, a sensitive place as it is. ( I happen to not know any, but this is not a new question, you see..)

Yes, it's possible to hide out that long. You wouldn't be the first. But you won't be the first to get caught either.
If you're caught, you'll get in trouble.

You'd have to drive in and out of the valley every day which is more like 15 miles everyday (pain in the arse), which will cost you some $.
Wise man say, "Time spent on wall not deducted from 1 week camp4 limit"

I would suppose that the best way to avoid the rangers is to use a bit of ingenuity. You would have to show up first, and then assess the situation and come up with a plan. There is no guidebook for valley dirtbagging.

Edit: Parking is free, but you have to buy your Nat'l Parks pass ($50) or pay entry fees everyday (like, $20/day). Rangers regularly walk the lots and will bust you for sleeping in your car. Bear regularly walk the lots and will bust your car up for the food you left in it.

billcoe_

Nov 3, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #5 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
me and two friends want to stay in yosemite for two months this summer. probably july and august. our only problem is where to stay. we are poor so we cant afford a campsite for $10 each night.

How about a summer job in Curry Village?

In reply to:
is it possible to hide in the forest for that long?
NO ! You won't last long as you just shared it with the authorities by posting it here, it just shows that you'll be snatched up quick.

In reply to:
what happens if you are found not paying?
Dude! Come on! If you can't afford $10 a day, you can't afford f*ing it up for the rest of us ! PLEASE! You can't or won't pay the fine, they have a jail INSIDE the valley.

In reply to:
we wouldnt mind driving a few miles each day if it meant free camping

That might cost you the $10 a day you already don't have. You have a car that runs on air? There are campsites off Yos proper.

So, possible options, job: or how about choosing a place like the wind rivers or someplace not popular where you can just hang and climb: some place other than Yos which is a zoo in many ways.

billcoe_

Nov 3, 2005, 3:59 AM
Post #6 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, (didn't mean to sound like a bigger ass than I already am) I hope 2 things for you:

1st) that you don't wind up in a Yos jail.

2nd) that you have just a ripping awesome summer! Sounds like with 2 months off and a couple of climber friends to hang with, that the 2nd thing is in the cards.

Have fun!

Regards:

Bill

trailtripper

Nov 3, 2005, 4:01 AM
Post #7 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well it's not like im posting exactly where we will be hiding in the forest. and there is no way that i would be spending $10 each day on gas. that's like 80 miles of driving.

it would be cool to get a summer job in the valley though

superjosh

Nov 3, 2005, 4:02 AM
Post #8 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NPS regulations state that from June 1 to September 15 you are only allowed to camp in the Valley for 7 days total and in the park for 14 days total. So to camp in the Valley for more than a week, or anywhere in the park for more than two weeks, you must break the law.

NPS regs notwithstanding, the Valley is not an especially pleasant place to be in July and August. The mosquitos abate and the climbers disappear, but it's hot as hell and still teeming with tourons. My advice would be to plan to spend most of your time in Tuolumne, where it's easier to avoid ranger confrontations and much cooler (temperature-wise). The climbing in Tuolumne is very good as well. Not as much stuff in the 7+ pitch range and no big walls, but you can always tick a high peak if you want to go big.

If you do decide to spend July and August in the Valley, I second the motion to spend as much time as possible on the wall. Cooler up there and no rangers.

squierbypetzl

Nov 3, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #9 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it possible. Absolutely.

However, is it likely? Well, it is if you know people (see: dirtbags). Since youŽre asking, IŽm gonna assume you donŽt...

Although you do have the odds stacked up against you, good luck. YouŽll spend 2 great months climbing, hiding, and fighting racoons for "food" sitting in the trashcans.

Though I hope you donŽt get caught, if you do, you may be forever looked upon as another pain in the @ss climber that has no respect for rangers and Yos in general. So weigh your options carefully before ya go (as opposed to sitting in the Yos Pokey when youŽve been caught).

zenyetta

Nov 3, 2005, 4:34 AM
Post #10 of 10 (5317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SuperJosh hit it right on the nose....no pun intended. :lol:

Unless you are on a wall....the valley is super super hot!! Tuolumne rocks though. Its gourgeous and has a ton of great climbs.

Check out other spots if you can. There is some nice spots all over the place...check out the Bugaboo. OR go to Yosemite at a later date.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook