Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gnat

Nov 2, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #26 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Re: A New Rating System? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

insects have a very short life span; so we have to take everything seriously.

rufusandcompany

Nov 2, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #27 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The British system already incorporates hardest move and severity.

As for the systems in general, I feel that everything worked well when boulder problems were rated like routes - by the hardest move or sequence of moves. The V system, in my opinion, is pointless. Climbing is climbing, so why not use a consistent system throughout all of it, so that correlations can be made from one discipline to another.

I can easily rate every problem that I've ever done by the YDS system. The way to make that complete would be to add either a T (technical), E (Endurance), P (power), or any combination of the three to it, e.g. 12E+, 14P, 15TE-, etc. It's that simple, and then you could relate it to roped climbing. You would know that 12E had no 5.12 moves, but that the lengthy sequence equaled that, and 14P would easily represent a 5.14 move or short sequence - just like on routes.

We humans are so funny. We get bored too easily, so we feel that we have to constantly reinvent things. Sometimes that's necessary, although sometimes the old maxim "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" applies perfectly.

bensnyder

Nov 4, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #28 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do like the idea of the british system, however it doesn't describe a route well if that route has more than one crux and (i think) takes manky gear into account. I think the best system would be something that rates the sustained sections and cruxs seperatly.

For example: a 5.13 route with a v7 crux, a v5 crux, and sustained 5.10b climbing could be rated:

5.10 v5,7

This rating shows whether the route is a power or endurance route and better describes its difficulty.

rufusandcompany

Nov 4, 2005, 2:19 AM
Post #29 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and sustained 5.10b climbing could be rated:

5.10 v5,7

This rating shows whether the route is a power or endurance route and better describes its difficulty.

Sorry, Ben. Your logic is a bit off. If V5 is 5.12, and V7 is 5.13, then how can a route be rated 5.10 V5,7? I'll assume that you type-o'd or were taking advantage of the new Denver measure.

As I said before - if V5 means 5.12, then why not just call it 5.12T,E, or P? If you need to feel original, reinvent your own identity. You don't need to reinvent things that already work perfectly well.

bensnyder

Nov 4, 2005, 3:15 AM
Post #30 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry, Ben. Your logic is a bit off. If V5 is 5.12, and V7 is 5.13, then how can a route be rated 5.10 V5,7? I'll assume that you type-o'd or were taking advantage of the new Denver measure.

As I said before - if V5 means 5.12, then why not just call it 5.12T,E, or P? If you need to feel original, reinvent your own identity. You don't need to reinvent things that already work perfectly well.

We're both reinventing something that works well. To say it is perfect is far from the truth.

In reply to:
if V5 means 5.12, then why not just call it 5.12T,E, or P

Because V5 doesnt mean 5.12 - it means V5. They are two seperate scales and cannot be compared well (as evidenced by all the bickering that takes place on this site over Vscale/YDS conversions).

My logic elaborated: a 5.12 with a V5 crux would be a physical route with easy sustained climbing and one or two hard moves. If the 5.12 had a V2 crux, it would be more of an endurance route because the sustained climbing is harder. The hypothetical ratings for these two routes might be:

5.9 v5 and 5.11 v2

These ratings both suggest similar difficulty, but they also suggest why the route is difficult. The reason I feel my system is better than yours (which is more or less the same)? Mine is more descriptive...

rufusandcompany

Nov 4, 2005, 4:32 AM
Post #31 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Because V5 doesnt mean 5.12 - it means V5. They are two seperate scales and cannot be compared well (as evidenced by all the bickering that takes place on this site over Vscale/YDS conversions).

I was well into the sport long before and when the V ratings were being developed. We all compared them to YDS for a time. They can all be compared quite easily to YDS ratings.

In reply to:
My logic elaborated: a 5.12 with a V5 crux would be a physical route with easy sustained climbing and one or two hard moves. If the 5.12 had a V2 crux, it would be more of an endurance route because the sustained climbing is harder. The hypothetical ratings for these two routes might be:
5.9 v5 and 5.11 v2

Not only is your rating system convoluted, but your ratings are still incorrect. V5 is considerably harder than 5.9,10, or 11, so a 5.9 V5 would be illogical. Sand cannot be water. Your most accurate term for your rating is "hypothetical". If you are trying to say that your route would be 5.9 overall, but that it involved a crux section of V5, the route would in reality be called 5.12. That is how routes have always been rated - by the hardest move or sequence. It has worked for decades without a problem. This is not rocket science.

fracture

Nov 4, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #32 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It cracks me up how often this assertion is immediately followed by:

In reply to:
My logic elaborated: a 5.12 with a V5 crux would be a physical route with easy sustained climbing and one or two hard moves. If the 5.12 had a V2 crux, it would be more of an endurance route because the sustained climbing is harder.

The above looks exactly like Vscale/YDS conversions to me.... ;)

V5 means 5.12, precisely because of the first hypothetical route example you give. Irrelevant easier climbing plus a V5 gets a route rating of 5.12. The same with V7 gets a rating of 5.13-, etc.

In reply to:
The reason I feel my system is better than yours (which is more or less the same)? Mine is more descriptive...

Yours is no improvement over the current system. Additional description about a route can be done in English, like it always has been (e.g., "That one-move-wonder 5.12 over there"). And your system leaves us doing math in our head to figure out if a given 5.7 V2,7 is as hard as that 5.11+ V5 over there---when both would just be rated 5.13a today.

bensnyder

Nov 5, 2005, 3:30 AM
Post #33 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
V5 is considerably harder than 5.9,10, or 11, so a 5.9 V5 would be illogical

A 5.9 V5 would be about equivalent to a YDS 5.12. Did you even read my post? Besides - 100 feet of good sustained 5.11 is certainly harder than V5. A climb where every move was about 5.11 would get 5.12 or harder.

In reply to:
The above looks exactly like Vscale/YDS conversions to me....

If there was any hint of a YDS conversion there, there would be no need to seperate the two ratings would there?

In reply to:
Additional description about a route can be done in English, like it always has been (e.g., "That one-move-wonder 5.12 over there"). And your system leaves us doing math in our head to figure out if a given 5.7 V2,7 is as hard as that 5.11+ V5 over there---when both would just be rated 5.13a today.

Whether or not people can make a conversion between this hypothetical grading system and the YDS system is irrelevant. The point of my system can be demonstrated as follows.

Person sees in their guidebook that the route they are looking at is rated 5.11 V2. The person sees this rating and thinks "I am a good endurance climber and can pull down on V2...should be cake". Then he sees a route rated 5.8 V5 and thinks "I have no problem with sustained 5.8, but I often get whipped on V5 - this might be impossible for me at the time." In a YDS guidebook he would just see two routes rated 5.12, and have no idea which one his time would be better spent on.

That seems like a pretty simple train of thought. That wouldn't confuse you too much, would it? I hope not...

rufusandcompany

Nov 5, 2005, 4:11 AM
Post #34 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Person sees in their guidebook that the route they are looking at is rated 5.11 V2. The person sees this rating and thinks "I am a good endurance climber and can pull down on V2...should be cake". Then he sees a route rated 5.8 V5 and thinks "I have no problem with sustained 5.8, but I often get whipped on V5 - this might be impossible for me at the time." In a YDS guidebook he would just see two routes rated 5.12, and have no idea which one his time would be better spent on.

That seems like a pretty simple train of thought. That wouldn't confuse you too much, would it? I hope not...

Dude,

There is nothing confusing to me or fracture about your system except that it sucks. Calling a 5.12 5.8 V5 is a perfect way to mislead most 5.8 climbers into thinking that a 5.12 route is somehow 5.8. What you are suggesting is that routes be rated by their easiest moves and an extra rating be added for the crux - basically putting the cart before the horse. It is completely unnecessary. Part of being able to climb at a certain grade is to be able to climb everything at that grade. That is what makes one a well rounded climber. You are trying to turn the grading system into the crux of climbing. I gave you the very simple solution to your dilemma. The route is either 5.12 T,E, or P.

Your system also implies that people are too stupid to understand plain english. So what if you don't know everything about a route for the onsight attempt. That is the beauty of onsight climbing. If the route is dangerous or deadly, you add r,s, or vs. These are also very easy for people to understand.

fracture

Nov 5, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #35 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
V5 is considerably harder than 5.9,10, or 11, so a 5.9 V5 would be illogical

(just noting that the above was not a quote from me, since ben snipped attributions)

In reply to:
In reply to:
The above looks exactly like Vscale/YDS conversions to me....

If there was any hint of a YDS conversion there, there would be no need to seperate the two ratings would there?

First, there is no need to seperate the two ratings. Second, when you are saying things like "A 5.12 with a V5 on it would be like ...", you simply are defining some sort of relationship between the two scales. You can't claim they are completely uncomparable at the same time as you make such comparisons and expect it to make any real sense.

In reply to:
The point of my system can be demonstrated as follows.

In a YDS guidebook they would both be listed as 5.12, but the first one would say something like "great sustained route with crux near the top", and the latter one would say something like "piece of shit one-move-wonder."

You are attempting to solve a problem which does not exist.

But, at the same time, you are creating other problems. (How would a listing by ratings in the back look?)

In reply to:
That seems like a pretty simple train of thought.

I agree. I suggest you think about it a little more. ;)

fracture

Nov 5, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #36 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The route is either 5.12 T,E, or P.

I'd argue it is fine to simply call it "5.12". Details about whether it is a power route, an endurance route, a crack, short, tall, or whatever else, can easily be described in plain English. I don't think you can bring everything down to three categories of "technique", "endurance", and "power" (especially since what people ambiguously refer to "technique" is a huge part of both endurance and power), and don't think there are major gains in any of the areas where rating systems are useful that can be made by attempting to do so.

(I agree with a lot of the rest of your post though.)

grover

Nov 5, 2005, 4:36 AM
Post #37 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If technique, endurance and power are to be incorporated into some new rating system, why not include sobriety as well?

Don't forget to include a rating system for no-hands problems, the blind and those who cannot read topos. Better yet, create an audio-visual guide so all problems can be thoroughly studied and rehearsed from the safety of ones home/car/hut.

Oh and last but not least a rating for problems with chalk already on the key holds.

If all else fails we can fall back on the ole B system................................

8^)

rufusandcompany

Nov 5, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #38 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The route is either 5.12 T,E, or P.

I'd argue it is fine to simply call it "5.12". Details about whether it is a power route, an endurance route, a crack, short, tall, or whatever else, can easily be described in plain English. I don't think you can bring everything down to three categories of "technique", "endurance", and "power" (especially since what people ambiguously refer to "technique" is a huge part of both endurance and power), and don't think there are major gains in any of the areas where rating systems are useful that can be made by attempting to do so.

(I agree with a lot of the rest of your post though.)

We are in complete agreement. You neglected to quote the rest of my statement, where I offer those designations in order to assuage Ben's apparent need for the minute details of a every route. I have been fine with YDS for years. I do feel that the a,b,c,d designations are useful, especially on unprotected routes. I have done several 5.12a or b (s) routes, although I would not be happy about unwittingly getting on a 5.12d (vs) route.

daithi

Nov 5, 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #39 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...were rated like routes - by the hardest move or sequence of moves.

Rating routes by the hardest move in my opinion is not helpful at all and is not really done in any system (at least ones I am familiar with) except the YDS, at least how it was originally devised. French sports grades, UIAA grade, British adjectival grade etc., are all an overall measure of the difficulty of the route not the hardest move. These grades are a lot more of an accurate description of the difficulty of the route.

I presume the YDS as applied today is more of an overall measure not just the hardest moves. I'm guessing this from fracture's posts and also comments like this from another thread,
In reply to:
There is a climb that is listed as a 5.11 finger crack but in the descripton of the route it says no move is harder than 5.10.

Having never climbed in the US and therefore never used your system I have no idea. Is this normally how the YDS is applied?

rufusandcompany

Nov 5, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #40 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...were rated like routes - by the hardest move or sequence of moves.

Rating routes by the hardest move in my opinion is not helpful at all and is not really done in any system (at least ones I am familiar with) except the YDS, at least how it was originally devised. I presume the YDS as applied today is more of an overall measure not just the hardest moves. I'm guessing this from fracture's posts and also comments like this from another thread,

I said hardest move or "sequence" of moves, and it has worked just fine. Some routes are in fact rated by they're overall difficulty, but the YDS rating still works in either case. In thirty years, I have probably done well over a thousand routes, on all types of rock and in many different areas, and I have never had a problem rating them.

In reply to:
Having never climbed in the US and therefore never used your system I have no idea. Is this normally how the YDS is applied?

On routes, yes, but not so much on boulder problems, although I always give problems a route rating, for my own reference. It works just fine, whiich is why I think the V scale is unecessary for me.

unabonger

Nov 5, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #41 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here it is, your moment of zen:

Rating systems: They aren't for rating routes. They are for rating humans.

The climb is simply as hard as it is. When someone says "How hard is that climb?", they are really asking "How hard am I?"

I have no idea if this is relevent. But then neither does anyone else.

dirtineye

Nov 5, 2005, 5:32 PM
Post #42 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
hey curt, that is kind of the point. should long traverses be rated in the sport climb category? or bouldering or something new?

I don't think there is an exact answer to your question, but classic old school (i.e Gill, Holloway, etal.) boulder problems were rarely more than a half-dozen or so difficult, gymnastic type moves--and often had fewer moves than that. When endurance begins to be the determining factor for success, rather than power, I would say you have departed the realm of bouldering, as it was originally defined, and moved on to something else.

Curt

Stop making sense, you'll give the internet a bad name.

dlintz

Nov 5, 2005, 6:28 PM
Post #43 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... it just says "Monsieur Lefrog en La Va A Le Blahblah"

That's a great name for a problem, I'm gonna steal it for my next V1++ proj brah. 8^)

d.

bensnyder

Nov 5, 2005, 7:11 PM
Post #44 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can't claim they are completely uncomparable at the same time as you make such comparisons and expect it to make any real sense

There is a loose correlation, but that is given. The reason V and YDS don't mix is because they are attributed to different styles of climbing - power and endurance.

In reply to:
Calling a 5.12 5.8 V5 is a perfect way to mislead most 5.8 climbers into thinking that a 5.12 route is somehow 5.8. What you are suggesting is that routes be rated by their easiest moves and an extra rating be added for the crux - basically putting the cart before the horse.

No you really don't get it. The YDS part of my rating is the rating of the sustained climbing sections not the easiest move - do you even understand what sustained climbing is? Because you seem to have demonstrated a lack of understanding, i'll explain for you: sustained climbing is a (long) series of moves with very similar difficulty...

Any halfbrained 5.8 climber would know that they couldnt climb a 5.8 V5 without splitting too many brain cells; they will know that they can climb the sustained sections, but not the crux.

Oh, and anybody saying that YDS grades are based solely on the hardest move of the route is full of shit. Example: to bolt or not to be, the first 5.14 established in america, which doesn't have a single move harder than V4/5

curt

Nov 5, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #45 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I can easily rate every problem that I've ever done by the YDS system. The way to make that complete would be to add either a T (technical), E (Endurance), P (power), or any combination of the three to it, e.g. 12E+, 14P, 15TE-, etc. It's that simple, and then you could relate it to roped climbing. You would know that 12E had no 5.12 moves, but that the lengthy sequence equaled that, and 14P would easily represent a 5.14 move or short sequence - just like on routes...

I think if you're really bound and determined to have just one rating system, you could go "oldskool" and just go back to rating boulder problems B 5.10, B 5.11, B 5.12.......etc.

The (B) designates it as a boulder problem and implies it is a power vs. endurance climb.

Curt

rufusandcompany

Nov 5, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #46 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

No you really don't get it.

I got it the first time you said it.

In reply to:
The YDS part of my rating is the rating of the sustained climbing sections not the easiest move - do you even understand what sustained climbing is?

I probably understood it before you breathed air.

In reply to:
Oh, and anybody saying that YDS grades are based solely on the hardest move of the route is full of s---.

You are correct, and that is not what I said, several times. Here is the operative word that you keep missing: sequence, meaning any number of moves in a sequence.

In reply to:
Example: to bolt or not to be, the first 5.14 established in america, which doesn't have a single move harder than V4/5

And you know anything about To Bolt, how? Have you ever even climbed near or at The Dihedrals? I have, and I also have three friends who have done To Bolt. If you are going to use examples, use examples that you know from personal experience.

You just don't get it, and I'm tired of trying to explain it to you. As for my not understanding the grading systems - sure :wink: By the looks of you, I was probably already climbing 5.13 when you were still carrying your lunch box to school or before. Your system is completely unnecessary. That is all I need to know.

bensnyder

Nov 5, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #47 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright. I see this is going nowhere - no need for us to keep arguing.

I know I came off as (quite) acidic in my posts, but I don't mean you any personal disrespect - I've just been in a bad mood for the past couple because of my workload. I do not doubt your climbing prowess, I was just getting frustrated with the argument at hand...

rufusandcompany

Nov 5, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #48 of 48 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Alright. I see this is going nowhere - no need for us to keep arguing.

I know I came off as (quite) acidic in my posts, but I don't mean you any personal disrespect - I've just been in a bad mood for the past couple because of my workload. I do not doubt your climbing prowess, I was just getting frustrated with the argument at hand...

Don't be too worried about it. It's all just about differences of opinion anyway, although I do believe that experience accounts for a lot in these debates.

Too much emphasis on ratings takes the adventure out of climbing. When I consider routes, now, I get within a reasonable number grade for onsight potential and just dig in. Otherwise, I'll jump on anything way beyond my level to increase my skill and fitness. The worst that can happen is that I'll fall off. Big deal, as long as the route isn't a death route.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook