RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sick_climba

Nov 12, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Rock type?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I was just wondering do the majority of climbers out there think that rock type affects climbing skill?

bensnyder

Nov 12, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock type? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you mean what kind of rock generally has the softest grades?

Or what kind of rock is best to learn on (i.e. requires good technique)?

??

cintune

Nov 12, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kind of depends on what skill you mean, doesn't it?

punk_rocker333

Nov 12, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think he means climbing ability. I would have to say that sticky, exfoliated granite seems to be what most climbers can do the most impressive routes on. You can smear on most anything. I also think this is the funnest rock type to climb.

climbing_steve

Nov 12, 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I can climb more blank faces if there is more friction, but if the climb didn't have that same friction, it would be graded more hard.

cintune

Nov 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or granite-like, anyway. How bout "coarse crystalline rocks" in general, granites, quartzites, sandstones, even coarse limestone?

sick_climba

Nov 12, 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I meant is does rock type, like granite , limestone, sandstone, etc affect how well you climb. Like for me granite tears up my fingers and I don't climb as well and this area called the pouxe near where I live has limestone and I really don't like it. I was wondering if other climbers experienced the same thing.

cintune

Nov 13, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. Textured rock is fun. Your hands will develop thick skin over time. Slippery rock is difficult. You will improve your technique by climbing it.

ahwoo

Nov 14, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think it affects your skill. i think that it does affect the level at which you can climb (say a 5.9 on granite vs. a 5.9 on polished off limestone). all a matter of adapting to the rock type really. wish there was something a little more grippy here in austin (yes... i'm too lazy to make the drive out to erock)

moss1956

Nov 14, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure how you would compare climbing skills gained from climbing pocketed overhanging rock to skills coming from slabby frictiony rock. They take different muscles.

Also, crack climbing is a completely different set of technics than face climbing, even on the same type of rock.

I am not sure there is a single skill set called ``rock climbing''.

I have never climbed on any rock that I didn't like. I enjoy learning new technics and learning to read different types of rock. You are really lucky to live in Colorado and have the opportunity to climb on a variety of rock without having to go a long way out of your way.

cintune

Nov 14, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly. The best rock type is the one that you have the most likelihood of getting on in the near future. If you actually have choices, you should be grateful. I'd like to meet a climber who grew up near overhanging soapstone. Those would be some skills.

renohandjams

Nov 14, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What I meant is does rock type, like granite , limestone, sandstone, etc affect how well you climb. Like for me granite tears up my fingers and I don't climb as well and this area called the pouxe near where I live has limestone and I really don't like it. I was wondering if other climbers experienced the same thing.
The first time I moved to donner I went bouldering and my hands got worn raw, but that has never happened since and now I actually prefer the yosemite/donner granite to almost any other type of rock. I noticed I don't climb as well on soft sandstone because I can hear the sand crystals grinding when I smear and it is very unsettling for me. I don't like having to worry about holds breaking either. Bulletproof granite for me.

obnoxice

Nov 15, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All forms of rocks are fun. I grew up in Asia and most of our crags back home consists of overhanging limestone. Routes have a lot of jugs but the angle makes for powerful moves. 5.9's that I've climbed back home seem to be at a 10 to 20 degrees past vertical angle.

I moved to SoCal and climbed at Williamson where routes are mostly balancy slabs although the hard routes are quite steep.

Climbing in the Santa Monicas on the other hand is pretty similar to Asia. Steep, juggy and a lot of pockets.

Just climbed at New Jack last weekend and noticed a mix of both. Routes are pretty technical with a mix of steep juggy overhangs.

As for the texture of the rock, I've noticed that granite seems to be more rough on the fingers. Routes on granite faces have small crimpy holds but the rough texture makes you stick on them like sand paper. Speaking of sand, sandstone texture seems to be a bit similar to granite although sandstone routes have a more rounded edge in my opinion. Sandstone routes are quite sloppy but the texture makes the routes doable.

Limestone, ahhh... I grew up on Philippine limestone. I don't know if it's the humid weather, the heat, the close proximity to the sea, the texture property of the stone itself or maybe a mix of all factors but in my experience, limestone feels a bit polished. It's OK though since it's juggy.

So yeah, all types are fun. Each have their distinct property that gives the routes it's uniqueness (if there's such a word). I love climbing in all so I can learn the different engrams involved to climb different routes and rock types. After all, regardless of the type of rock, it's climbing and i love to climb. :)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook