Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

gullwing19

Nov 12, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #76 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Re: Getting cams stuck... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow. Is this thread STILL active? You had indicated that something I said wasn't funny. I think I received your OPINION in a newsflash or something similar.

I indicated that it would only be funny to those with a sense of humor. Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that same statement HINT that some people (you! you! you!) might not have a sense of humor. You might have to read between the lines a bit to find the direction i was heading but I'm sure what you lack in personality is made up in the IQ department so I'm not worried that you wont' get it. (did you catch that double negative?)

It's to those who lack a sense of humor (you! you! you!) that I was refering to. I believe I brought up bland, boring, whinny, and uptight along with the ever popular melodramatic as quality traits of those who often lack a sense of humor. Just something I've noticed in my years. Sorry if it hit a nerve.

I apologize if you misunderstood and I hope that I have cleared some things up. Shall I summarize for you the things that I've learned from this thread in case there are any questions? Here goes:

(1) Caughtinsideorwhatever asks questions he already knows the answer to in an attempt to stroke his own ego
(2) Over camming your cams is a BEGINNER mistake
(3) Caughtinsideorwhatever NEVER makes beginner mistakes
(4) I am funny
(5) You are not

As far as basic sentence structure goes I believe that I had the nouns, adjectives, verbs, capitalization and punctuation down. Hell, I even threw in a few contractions so that I didn't sound pompus.

I would however greatly appreciate any and all corrections that you might find wrong with my spelling and grammar. I'm an aspiring writer you see and it would be to my benefit to have those things pointed out each and every time I make a similar mistake. I'm grateful to those who are smarter than me, especially when they point it out. I have much to learn

Is that all you're gonna come at me with? Sentence structure? Sheesh. Go back to the playground and let the grownups talk.

iltripp

Nov 12, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #77 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahahahaha... hook, line, and sinker. You're right, you are funny.

gullwing19

Nov 12, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #78 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah...sorry lewis for hijacking the thread. That wasn't my intention. But I get called a moron (first page) for valid advice (granted, I could have worded it better) and people expect me not to say something? And when I do I'm the asshole? C'mon. I'd like to believe that someone here has a backbone.

Why is it that 95 percent of the population is ok with the other 5 percent walking all over them?

cgailey

Nov 12, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #79 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a funny one:

In reply to:
As far as my skill level goes.......I've never got a cam stuck in 10 years of placing em. That should be all you need to know.

In reply to:
Oh, and I've been climbing bout 6 years now an NO, I never said I was better than Caughtinsideorwhatever.

hmmm.... :roll:

So which one is it? I know I was placing gear for four years before I started climbing on it.... :boring:

dirtineye

Nov 13, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #80 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah...sorry lewis for hijacking the thread. That wasn't my intention. But I get called a moron (first page) for valid advice (granted, I could have worded it better) and people expect me not to say something? And when I do I'm the asshole? C'mon. I'd like to believe that someone here has a backbone.

Why is it that 95 percent of the population is ok with the other 5 percent walking all over them?

Let me make one thing perfectly clear:

You really are a moron.

stymingersfink

Nov 13, 2005, 1:19 AM
Post #81 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to borrow a post from another thread:

In reply to:
:deadhorse:

Please, PLEASE let this thread die.

A wise man once said:

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. You might win, but you're still retarded!

* No offense to the courageous souls who compete in the SO's. I'm just trying to illustrate a point.

*Emphasis/text size was mine*

stymingersfink

Nov 13, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #82 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:roll:

:boring:

You've won, all of you.

Too bad I don't have enough gold medals to give one to each competitor. You all may deserve one.

gullwing19

Nov 13, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #83 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it's been more like six years of gear climbing and maybe a year of clippin bolts, but I don't count that as climbing so we'll go with six. Sue me for rounding up but the point was that I don't get cams stuck.

And Sty. You're a good man. I've always respected you. Remember that hick bar we trashed together down in Sedona? Shitkickers didn't know hit em! Man, those were the days. So it's by your request that I let this thread die. No more from me. Ever. Wait. One more thing.

Trip, you there? Sorry about the sense of humor thing man. I realize that not everyone can have one and I'm sorry I discriminated. Friends?

Ok. I'm done. Now how the hell do I get outta this thing?

saxfiend

Nov 13, 2005, 7:31 AM
Post #84 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Move to Poland.

JL

lewisiarediviva

Nov 13, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #85 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But I get called a moron (first page) for valid advice (granted, I could have worded it better) and people expect me not to say something?

You admit this, and I can respect that. Next time please accept your mistakes sooner, then the moron may be the name caller instead. But in your case, and you may already know this, you put your cam in way to deep and it went deeper and deeper. Those you referred to in your first post, were highly experienced climbers.

But I've been wondering as this thread has gone on, have you ever had a cam placement fail you?

stymingersfink

Nov 14, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #86 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But I've been wondering as this thread has gone on, have you ever had a cam placement fail you?

That's another thread all together... we've agreed to quit :deadhorse:, right?

lewisiarediviva

Nov 14, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #87 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
all together... we've agreed to quit :deadhorse:, right?

Sorry, I don't recall agreeing to quit. In a world of so many internet users I don't think the handfull of useres on this thread can really make that decision for me. If you want to quit, then do so. It's as easy as turning around and walking the other way.

And no I don't think my question belongs in another thread. I would imagine that getting a cam stuck, is partly due to the fear of it failing. So if someone has actually been able to climb on cams for so long with out getting them stuck, I'm curious to know if they've ever failed. If not, then I'd like to know what mental game he plays with himself to avoid bad placements.

The OP is actually inspiration for my question when he says:

In reply to:
I don't know, I guess I should be more careful, and not pull the trigger all the way and just plunge it till it fits. But man I feel insecure on the wide cracks!

stzzo

Nov 14, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #88 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's only funny to people with senses of humor.
And without senses of decency.

caughtinside

Nov 15, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #89 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: :lol:

This thread was a real treat after 8 days in JTree, thanks for the laughs!

I am pleased to report I fixed zero cams in 15 days of climbing in Jtree.

Oh wait, I only climbed there 8 days. I must have rounded up.

Angry and Dirt, cheers boys! 8^)

caughtinsideorwhatever? Is that supposed to be insulting? Caughtplanninganothergridboltedroute was much more entertaining!

lewisiarediviva

Nov 15, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #90 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations caughtinside!

maculated

Nov 27, 2005, 6:49 AM
Post #91 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread was so amusing, it deserves a bump!

tradrenn

Nov 30, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #92 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Move to Poland.

JL

Now, that was funny.

Partner brent_e

Nov 30, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #93 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Move to Poland.

JL

TROPHY!!!!

awesome

gullwing69withyourmother
it's sad that darwin's work doesn't always come true.

lextalion

Dec 1, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #94 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it happens occasionally. a few weeks ago I was letting a partner of mine lead and he set the two cams over cammed and really deep in the crack.

Neither cam would budge enough to work them loose. What really sucks is that it was my rack he was using. Traditionally most of my other partners and I tend to not set gear as deep and hopefully not over cam them.

If you're able to get a yellow microcamalot out of the 1st pitch and a green 1.75 out of the 2nd pitch of Johnny Vegas (RRC). Your welcome.

Ethically, I think that if on lead and multiple cams are not able to be cleaned, you ought to offer to replace the gear with yours or pay for the replacement.

quiteatingmysteak

Dec 28, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #95 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way to get this out (If this has already been explained to you just another way to say "Oorah!") is to take the wire from a nut (any size will work) and your nut tool. hook the end of the nut tool (y'know, the one that cap'n hook would have as a hand) around one side of the trigger and the wire around the other. grab each loop in these with a pinky and pointer finger and with your other hand stick your longest finger (emphasis on finger) into the shaft. push and pull, if you tried this and it didn't work BAH! I have fun replying!

lextalion

Dec 30, 2005, 4:34 AM
Post #96 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak,

No I've never been told of doing the trick you just described. Thanks for the info. the next time I'm out I think I might just go on a retrieval mission.

That way I will now have doubles of the gear lost. Never can have to much gear. Just don't want to carry it all.

brutusofwyde

Dec 30, 2005, 6:08 AM
Post #97 of 97 (10089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Never can have to much gear. Just don't want to carry it all.

That's what 18-wheelers are for.

Had a problem this last thanksgiving when my partner placed a .5 camalot in a crack. Her hands are way thinner than mine. Finally got the piece out but it must have taken me two minutes of working on it. I can think of only 3 other times I've left a piece in 30+ years of climbing. One was a stopper (we were carrying only one scratcher between us and forgot to hand it off to the second), one was a brand new 4.5 camalot (difficult to clean because fully retracted, and we were needing to move fast due to incoming storm) and one was a #2 Friend placed by an inexperienced partner on NE Buttress Higher Cathedral Rock. Last I heard that #2 Friend was still up there, after 20 years.

Over the years, I've bootied well over 200 pieces (including stoppers and pins) so I guess I've ended up with a positive gear balance.

Brutus

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook