Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
What's the strangest thing you've ever had a marmot eat?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

pinto

Jul 29, 2002, 5:41 AM
Post #1 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

What's the strangest thing you've ever had a marmot eat?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bet everyone has seen some marmot do some weird sh*t in their climbing days. The reason I got to thinking about this is that a marmot ate part of the sleeve of one of my shirts that I left to dry at my campsite while climbing today. Little weasel! It also ate part of a plastic bag. That can't be good for the digestion.

punk

Jul 29, 2002, 12:11 PM
Post #2 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

What's the strangest thing you've ever had a marmot eat? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Up on the foots of Slone Glacier my partner and I set a camp and went to sleep an hour later a Swiss couple came in to base camp too as u know we sleep with all of our belonging in the tent and planning for an early alpine start at 2 am at 1:30 we heard a yelling from the Swiss tent “ this FU**ING mice ATE MY BOOTS”
And of course that was accompany with the heaviest Swiss accent ….after us stopping holding our stomachs from Laughing so hard we pay them a visit only to see that they chow away half of one of the guy boot and a quarter of the other (the guy luckily had sandals and they were packing away to get down and hit REI for a new boots) any way the moral of the story is minerals and especially salt is extremely scarce in the mountain and these buggers will chew anything that will have some salt on it… so, no sweaty clothing and boots should be left unattended and so about your cooking ware (I had a Porcupine chew away 2 aluminum pots of mine that had some little food remaining in them …although I washed it …I guess I missed some spots )

jtcronk

Jul 29, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While bivying in the Tetons once, I had a marmot eat what little remaining food we had. I guess that wasn't quite enough for the little guy, 'cuz then he ate the leather side shields from my glacier glasses.....

ponyryan

Aug 4, 2002, 7:08 AM
Post #4 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somehow a marmot (or like animal) got in my pickup once. It chewed through the weather seal thing that lines the inside of the windows and also some rubbery stuff on my gear shifter. Got scared about half to death in the morning when I found it!!! Stupid animal.

peas

Aug 4, 2002, 9:18 AM
Post #5 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard that the porquipines near the Bugaboos parking lo have taken a liking to various rubber car parts. Maybe it's the salt from the roads???

mike_gibson

Aug 4, 2002, 1:18 PM
Post #6 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A squirrel (or something)chewed thru my backpack and then chewed a little hole into a tin can of planter's salted mixed nuts. It only got a couple of the nuts out though.

clmbnski

Aug 4, 2002, 2:28 PM
Post #7 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was in Vedauwoo I had numerous problems with multiple creatures. While climbing a chipmunk got into my pack and ate some of my beef jerky, this pissed me off but I said to myself "OK you win this time, my fault for leaving my pack open" but he got in to it again and I saw him sitting on top eating one of my wheat thins and mocking me. this really pissed me off and I threw rocks at it and chased it around a little, but I had had enough so I decided to bait it at the bottom of a boulder and when it came to get the food I would smash it with a bowling ball size rock. Everything worked as planned but when I lifted the rock to smash him(and it really would have smashed him, like a big truck being dropped on a human) I looked into his fury eyes and I couldnt do it. I decided it wasnt right to kill one after baiting it, I mean it is their way of life to go around scavenging food. so I decided to hang my pack from then on and only kill it if it was on my pack. The End

lostangel

Aug 4, 2002, 2:29 PM
Post #8 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

punk

bradhill

Aug 6, 2002, 9:31 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While taking a break in Rocky Mountain Nat Park near the Sharkstooth, I had a marmot walk up and start chewing on the toe of my boot while I was wearing it.

And yes, the porcupines at the Bugs will eat your car. They have chicken wire and boards and you have to make a fence around your car when you park it there. I'm totally unsure what it is that they've learned to come back to eat that didn't kill them, though. Pretty odd, indeed.

climbsomething

Aug 6, 2002, 10:12 PM
Post #10 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clmbnski, glad you spared the little critter's life! He was just doing what his little chipmunk instinct told him to do. I would suggest you don't kill him even if he does find his way into your pack. Yeah, he was probly a huge pest, but he's a chipmunk.. you're a man.. it's hardly fair. Is he really hurting you? Now, if that chipmunk flew at your jugular with fangs and claws flashing, I'd change my tune. But otherwise, let the little guys alone. It's their world too

*scoots off center of soapbox* This has been my PETA-licious post for the day

peas

Aug 6, 2002, 10:19 PM
Post #11 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a groundhog story, but a deer story. I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, just South of where it hits Canada and rolled into a great campsite one night. As we were making dinner a deer came up and starting eating my hat. Of course we were really quiet so that we wouldn't scare the deer away, but after a while it looked like the deer was getting a little too comfortable. We had to keep a close watch to make sure that the deer wouldn't take off with any of our clothing.

After dark the deer went away and we thought we had seen the last of it. But in the morning, my hiking partner poked his head out of the tent to find the deer munching happily on a pair of my underwear. My underwear would definately not be my first choice of things to eat since I hadn't washed in around 5 days. We figured it was after the salt, so we name it "Salty Bob", even though it was a girl. Maybe it found something else tasty on my underwear though...

michaeltouche

Aug 6, 2002, 10:31 PM
Post #12 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caught a marmot munching on our homemade chocolate chip cookies....

wildtrail

Aug 6, 2002, 11:29 PM
Post #13 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say get 'em back! I heard they are delicious sauted in butter and rosemary!

Only my toothpast and the part of the pack it had to go through to get it.

Steve

highambitions

Aug 29, 2002, 3:29 PM
Post #14 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the Rockies......After a long approach, my son and I set up camp and slept through most of the night. A marmot or a pica woke me up by chewing a hole through the tent door. I had to bat it's face with a backhand to get it to leave. In the morning I noticed that all of the wrist straps on our new treking sticks were chewed off. I guess they are attracted to salt. That night I learned to bring all valuables inside the tent.

cloudbreak

Aug 29, 2002, 4:05 PM
Post #15 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a damn marmot eat the foam grip off of my fishing pole while backpacking in Mineral King.

danwilli

Aug 29, 2002, 5:08 PM
Post #16 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What the hell is a marmot?

interruptor

Aug 29, 2002, 5:58 PM
Post #17 of 17 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a marmot is an animal...

Never eaten a marmot but a goat ate one of my partners boots in the Pirinees last year...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook