Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hosebeats

Dec 5, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #26 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Re: starting late at 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just met an gentleman from England out at J-Tree this last weekend. He has been climbing since 1954 and had spent a week with his climbing partner climbing everything he could get his hands on. Incredibly nice old man with tons of stories to tell. He's climbed all over Europe and South America as a young and old man. Sure, he started young but he hasn't let age get in his way. Very inspiring to meet some one from the true old school.

Partner cracklover

Dec 5, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #27 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahaha! Pay no attention to Rob, he gets in these crotchety moods sometimes. ;)

Seriously, though, everyone has their strengths and limitations. Rob's strength seems to be the ability to climb despite a body that is completely broken down! :lol: That, and knowing how to make me appear to be a complete buffoon. Of course, it's not that hard when I do most of the work for him!

As for me hitting on you. No, not really. I threw those numbers in there because you seemed to be asking about numbers, and you seemed to be asking how far you could go. All I know is that I'm not at the bottom, and I'm not at the top. But like Rob, I'm having a blast, I'm pushing myself, I'm having adventures, I'm learning, I'm sharing, I'm getting to know some of the coolest people in the world, and sometimes I'm just scaring the bejesus out of myself. That's what it's all about, really.

Cheers,

GO

blueeyedclimber

Dec 6, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #28 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I started at 28, I would be a couple years ahead of where I am now (started at 30). But, like Gabe(crackwhore, I mean lover) pointed out, there are advantages to being older. If I started too young I probably would have died at a young age. I was a little too adventurous and not too bright. But, also like Gabe said, you are at an age where you can definitely push yourself for years to come. Along with cracklover, littlefingers, et al., I would like to consider myself as part of the hard climbing, late-blooming, Boston crowd.

Good luck,

Josh

eastvillage

Dec 6, 2005, 3:45 PM
Post #29 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Starting late, a day here and there will make it hard to get all the skills down so:
Go on an extended climbing trip to really learn the skills and get lots of uninterrupted experience. Find a partner in a similar position and hit a great area, like Colorado, Utah, California etc and just climb like crazy for 2-3-4 weeks. Start really easy and the grades will take care of themselves.

Have fun.

tinsoldier510

Dec 7, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #30 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just have to start out by saying that this has been a thoroughly entertaining thread.

Second, a point to ponder. I'm 20, and I fell while climbing last year. Broke mahself pretty badly. At least, if *heaven forbid!* you injure yourself now, you'll have gotten a good 28 years with your relatively unbroken body. :lol:

Enjoy yourself, be safe, and climb til you can't climb no more.

petergibbons

Dec 7, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #31 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So it appears I am not starting that late. I have this problem where I feel like I am running out of time and can't seem to fit everything in that I want to do. Plus I keep discovering new sports that I want to participate in...now that I moved to Alaska, I have to become a badass ice climber.

grovehunter - redondo beach, nice, I used to live in Hermosa. But I mourned the first (and only) winter that I missed. I wish I would have gotten into climbing while I was there. Anywhere good to climb close to the city?

Robbvious - if he was hitting on me, keep in mind he thought my name was peter. :) No actually cracklover, I appreciate the numbers... I was looking for specifics on how far everyone thought I could go in my "old" age

tinsoldier - True I have not gotten hurt climbing.. yet. but, i've managed to break myself in other ways :) skiing, mountain biking....

all of this being said... DOES ANYONE KNOW SOMEONE IN ALASKA THAT WANTS TO TAKE ME OUTSIDE THIS SPRING?... guess I should start a new thread..

climbilicious

Dec 7, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #32 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there, i'm in alaska, a bit far away from you in fairbanks, but i'm willing to travel once the snow and ice melts...and i'll be living down on the kenai this summer. i'm 24 and also just beginning...so we could go out somewhere and look like fools, and probably hurt ourselves together :roll: anyone more experienced want to come along?

robbovius

Dec 7, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #33 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hahaha! Pay no attention to Rob, he gets in these crotchety moods sometimes. ;)

chronic pain does that to a guy;-/

In reply to:
Seriously, though, everyone has their strengths and limitations. Rob's strength seems to be the ability to climb despite a body that is completely broken down!

I can feel my body dying around me, the inexorable creeping decreptitude.
...and it doesn' even REALLY suck yet.

;-)

Partner cracklover

Dec 7, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #34 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Robbvious - if he was hitting on me, keep in mind he thought my name was peter...

No, I saw through that smokescreen. It's the Alaska part that would keep me at bay. Nothing against Alaska, but I hope I never develop an internet crush on someone there! It's like 4000 miles away. And it's cold. Of course there is Julie out there to keep some lucky fella warm. :wink: :wink:

GO

crazyclimbergirl

Dec 7, 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #35 of 35 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you stretch!!! Like someone else said warm up and cool down properly. If you think something might be hurt, like a weird feeling in your arm and wrist rest it! Pay special attention to things like that to prevent injuries. Have fun!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook