RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

spydrman87

Dec 20, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #1 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

crash pads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i am new to crash pads, i mainly do trad, but lately i have been finding myself falling on some pretty ruff landings without any gear in. so i am thinking of buying a crash pad. i can spend about $200. do the smaller pads cut it or is it not worth buying one unless i get a big one? and can any body recommend one?
thanks.

liquidshadow111

Dec 20, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Re: crash pads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While you will get a multitude of different opinions, I reccomend the Metolius fat bastard. Its durable, thick and big too. I love mine. :D

thetroutscout

Dec 21, 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're falling and hitting the ground while doing trad I can think of a few things to work on before getting a crashpad. However, I would recommend the Mad Rock Mad Pad. It's cheap, thick and not too smaller but not huge. However, if I had $200 to spend I'd get a Mad Rock Triple Pad.

^^ike

chalkfree

Dec 21, 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might consider some aiders and some smaller gear.

But I've got a metolius pad I like and a bluewater pad I love.

brad84

Dec 21, 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #5 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ease up on the trad climber wantin' a pad.

hey now, i can understand completely why you would a crash pad for trad. with the event of better gear we have the opportunity to put more faith in it and thereby take more falls. this allows us to climb trad in a fashion that is more similar to sport climbing, with many exceptions, one being that the pro isnt always four feet apart. sometimes the pro is a little higher than we would prefer and sometimes above a few dicey moves.

theres been a few times when i have brought a crash pad with me to lead a hard route where i wasnt sure how soon i would be able to get the first piece of gear in.

and now to get back on topic-

i would recommend either the fat bastard or the drop zone. everyone from here on down is going to recommend the mad pad for sure. but what i have found is that the mad pad is made of cheap nylon and has a tendency to get ripped fairly easily. actually, we had a madpad rip just from being on display at the gear store i work at.

long post for a simple question,
brad

granite_grrl

Dec 21, 2005, 1:13 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re: size

I have an S7 pad that just won't die that's just a little smaller than the regular metolius pad. Those extra few inches seem to make a difference though. I've climbed with people with Flash Temples, Franklin Drop Zones, and Cordless pads and all these seem huge compared to my pad (though in reality they aren't that much bigger).

If you get one of those massive pads are you really going to want to tote that along with your trad gear? Get a regular sized pad, but compare different makes in the store to get a better idea of their dimentions.

renhoek

Dec 21, 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

franklin drop zone. i got mine for around 160 and its thick and beefy. its our pad of choice amoung friends and we have several different pads. i would recomend against the metolius pad b/c i feel its a little on the thin side and is mostly a harder foam not quite as cushy. the cool feature i do like about the metolius however is the hinge where it folds. nice flat pad when opened. i would still rather have a thicker pad thats always a little curved from storage than a thin skinnny super flat one. but thats just my $0.02 at the store where you buy it if they have some holds on a wall take some test falls on it to see. if they dont have any holds up you can always do what i did and lay it out in the middle of the store and get a good running start and fly into full speed. get the one that doesnt hurt when you land on it :lol:

jeep914x4

Dec 21, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a metolius cheap bastard about two months ago. That thing is TOUGH. I have used it on some really sharp rocks that dented the foam inside so much it didn't pop out for a whole day and the cover still held up. It also held up to a barb wired fence... oops.

The cheap bastard is the same pad as the Fat Bastard without all the bells and whistles. It's a thick a simple pad with indestructible buckles.

I like to test crash pads by putting it on my back and falling straight back on it. You should see the looks I was getting from people at REI when I bought mine!!

joe3

Dec 21, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the bittersweet double wide and its real nice but for you need the bittersweet single wide sounds like it would work... www.bittersweetclimbing.com

tribaltalon

Jan 4, 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a mad rocks crash pad.. that sucker is HARD. i've taken some falls on it flat on my back, and nearly knocked the wind out of me. i hope it breaks in some. :?

nevenneve

Jan 4, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #11 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Re: size
If you get one of those massive pads are you really going to want to tote that along with your trad gear?
If you do it right- all your gear, a mellow sixer, the customary ham sandwich buffet, and the feeble old trad mentor you need will all fit nicely. :lol:

ozoneclimber

Jan 4, 2006, 5:05 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Franklin (now BD) are the best pads that I have come across, they have an almost perfect blend of closed cell and open cell foam. If you want something to take as kind of a "just in case" pad the Satellite is really nice. It's small but it cushions nicely and it isn't as bulky as the Mondo or the Dropzone, but if you want to get into bouldering a little more I would go with the Dropzone, they go for around 165-170. If you want a bed/pad the Mondo is as good as it gets, but a little more expensive and more for the "strictly bouldering" folks of the community.

In short, for your situation I would go with the Satellite, it costs around 130-140.

-Bobby

cosmostarr

Jan 4, 2006, 5:25 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im not a total gaper but i sure look like one with my couch cushion crash pads

jakedatc

Jan 4, 2006, 5:29 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with ozone 100%

i have a drop zone and love it.. but for your purposes go the next size down to the Satellite pad.. it's small, folding and still gives a great landing.. it's also light which will be nice when you have a rack and rope too

http://www.bdel.com/gear/satellite.php

mistajman

Jan 4, 2006, 6:45 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would highly recomend the mad pad, cheap and big. But also check out www.organicclimbing.com, they make some pretty cool looking crash pads.

kydd76

Jan 8, 2006, 6:28 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been using the first generation cordless for about seven years now. Love it the new one has the metal buckles so you what have to replace like with mine. I like the fact that I can change the thickness and how hard it is because of the removable foam, (one open and three layers of closed). But I am thinking that some of the newer pads are better built since mine is so old. Still I love it, and it made a hell of a couch when I was bumming around.

areyoumydude

Jan 8, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if I had $200 to spend I'd get a Mad Rock Triple Pad.

^^ike

Yea, I love my Triple.

goob3r

Jan 9, 2006, 9:02 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should buy a used Queen mattress.. it'll suck to carry it around but.. sleeping and climbing.. who could ask for a better weekend.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook