First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

epic_ed

Dec 21, 2005, 9:55 PM
Post #26 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Re: Christmas Bonuses. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Each employee gets a % of their annual pay -- 2% for peons like me; more for managers and directors. I'm not complaining -- they treat me fairly well, and that 2% will fund some nice gifts.

Ed

wjca

Dec 21, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #27 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At least you all that get them, get your Christmas bonus at Christmas. I have to wait until the end of June to get mine.

grk10vq

Dec 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #28 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At least you all that get them, get your Christmas bonus at Christmas. I have to wait until the end of June to get mine.

those scrooges!
what is that? the easter bunny bonus?

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 21, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #29 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a dog walking service, and so each client generally gives some sort of cash gift this time of year. The most "generous," and I DO mean generous, gave me an amount that equals one months service, and the dog is not even there during June and July. This, from a client whose dog I don't even walk. She gave the same to my employee who does the work.

The least "generous" was a pair of knit gloves which look supsiciously like they came from the "Special Bargain" bin..... This, from a client whose dog is in his golden years, terminally ill and needing special attention. I pay the employee who walks him 3 of 5 days(I do the other days) for a longer session, so she doesn't rush the dog. The client has no idea I do this; they get charged for the shorter session, and I knew from past years that the client doesn't really give much as bonus.

I still have the cat sitting gigs coming and two more expected gifts tomorrow from dog clients, but so far....let's see....It's amounted to about an average weeks gross receipts.

Anyway, if the transit strike continues for the holiday weekend, I will have probably spent the entire amount in taxi service getting to the clients. grrrrr..... But, I am really grateful for the bonus', as it has allowed me to fund this unexpected expense. As a whole, since my business started making enough money that I just consider myself very fortunate, I really try not to put expectations on the clients for the bonus'. It's not relative, as you can see from the above, and it would really be a shame if I allowed myself to tender better service to an animal based on their persons financial generositt, when each and every dog gives me a smiling face bonus every time I see them.

On another note.....

My "worst" holiday bonus was the year I was working at a handbag company and got put into another merchandisers division to work, because my one was closed and they wanted to keep me at the company. My new boss was.....I'm sorry, but I just have to say it.....at a much lower level of creativity than myself. I was put there to bolster the design quality. And ohhhhhh, how I resented being told what to do by this woman.

Being of the passive-aggressive variety at the time(I've since learned that's not a healthy behavior, and really try not to do it), instead of looking for another job, I just screwed around, doing the least possible amount of work and generally being a very bad employee.

Anyway, I had decided one day, as had happened on a regular basis in the past, that I just didn't need to be sitting at that desk that day. Without telling anyone but my cube mate what I was doing, I decided to "go shopping." As a designer one of my job duties was actually to do this, but the truth is, I often simply went home, taking a quick stroll through a department store on the way.

Unfortunately.....that day happened to be the day that they handed out bonus' at this company. The owner would call the employees who were deemed fit to receive one into his office, one by one. Everyone in the department knew who got called in, because he would send his assistant to go fetch them. If you didn't get called in, you didn't get a bonus. It was actually pretty cruel, and had more to do with politics than anything else(except in my case, where I honestkly didn't deserve a bonus).

Anyway, the next day my cube mate tells me I missed the bonus day. I asked if anyone had come looking for me, thinking I could go and fudge some story and get that check, and she looked at me and smirked, and said "Nope!"

Partner macherry

Dec 21, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #30 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the hubby's talking vegas......... :wink:

climbsomething

Dec 21, 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #31 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jelly of the month club!

Cousin Eddy: It's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year.

I, for one, got a tooth extraction, which led to a socially crippling mouth full of drool, blood and dripping gauze as I stumbled into the pharmacy. Then I got codeine.

Weeeee!!!!!!!!

Partner euroford

Dec 21, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #32 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in the past couple of years its just been a bogus piece of company parphanelia. golf shirts, coffee mugs, ball caps, yeah i've gotten some use out of the stuff, but ya know, its not what i REALLY wanted!

to my utter shock and amazement i got $500 cash this year. well, to be more accurate, my family members got $400 more worth of presents and i got some new softshell pants.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Dec 22, 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #33 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nill; but i did get a pen :roll:

blk

tradchick

Dec 22, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #34 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4% of my yearly salary but it gets hit hard with taxes. I'm just starting to lead ice and have enough to put a rack together and take a road trip to one of the ice festivals in the northeast.

tradrenn

Dec 22, 2005, 1:05 AM
Post #35 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The company I work for gives me 2% of what I make a year and puts that into my RRSP I put onother 2%.

For the last 10 years of working that is the best I ever got.

granite_grrl

Dec 22, 2005, 1:27 AM
Post #36 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing, nadda. Got a bonus last year, but with the state the industry is this year I'm not surprized they skipped on the bonuses.

edge

Dec 22, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #37 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am self employed, and after being out of college for 25 years have yet to receive any sort of Christmas bonus.

I do get some pretty good non-denominational cards, however.

dr_feelgood

Dec 22, 2005, 1:40 PM
Post #38 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get sand in my teeth, 8 timezones away from family, nothing even resembling a bonus, sleep deprived, and not even a tree or rock in sight.
Ho fucking Ho
I love the army.

deserteaglle

Dec 22, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #39 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I get sand in my teeth, 8 timezones away from family, nothing even resembling a bonus, sleep deprived, and not even a tree or rock in sight.
Ho f---ing Ho
I love the army.

Huah. PM me the adress you get stuff from the states to, I bet I could dig up something for a soldier for christmas. :D

wjca

Dec 22, 2005, 4:00 PM
Post #40 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am self employed, and after being out of college for 25 years have yet to receive any sort of Christmas bonus.

I do get some pretty good non-denominational cards, however.

Your boss sounds like a stingy old f'er.

epic_ed

Dec 22, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #41 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ho f---ing Ho
I love the army.

Thank you for your service. I know it's not a bonus, and it won't even buy you a cup of coffee, but my gratitude for the job all of you men and women are doing over there is the best I can offer. You may be 8 time zones away, but I'm sure you're in the thoughts, hearts, and prayers of many.

Stay safe and God bless.

Ed

angelaa

Dec 22, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #42 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm jealous. We get a big pile of nothing!

time to go corporate and start working for the man.

For me *going corporate* hasn't gotten me anywhere!

Ive been working for a multi-billion $ company for over 13 years, and the only *BONUS* I can recal was a $25 gift certificate for the local grocery store back in 1995!

talk about cheap & stingy !!

imnotclever

Dec 22, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #43 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my bonuses as a percent of salary:

1.4%
10%
13%
11%
9%
8.5%
8.5%

My second year we got a different accountant who thought we shoud get bigger bonuses. YEA. I often wonder if I'd rather just have that given in salary instead of bonus. Anyway, small firm, 6 people, and a boss who hates getting new employees. He really doesn't pay himself enough either - I guess that's to my benefit. If I get one this year it's going to daycare expenses.

Oh, I did get to drive a towercrane once; that was a cool bonus.

Partner wideguy

Dec 22, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #44 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just talked to a friend of mine who's a manager at a restaurant in downtown Boston. The owners are taking all the managers and ass't managers from their three restaurants on a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas including roundtrip airfare to Miami and $100/day drinking money as a Holiday bonus.

That doesn't suck. But I'd rather have cash

dlintz

Dec 22, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #45 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll second that nothing...and I have to work the day after X-mas. :evil:

I'm working Christmas day 7 to 4. I'm gonna have to take it easy at my family's Christmas eve dinner, usually there's a lot of wine flowing.

d.

mountainchick82

Dec 22, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #46 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Christmas bonus was..................................

I WAS FU*KIN LAID OFF!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil:

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 22, 2005, 8:07 PM
Post #47 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My Christmas bonus was..................................

I WAS FU*KIN LAID OFF!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil:

Wow, that sucks Becki. :(

My bonus: $200, but I work Christmas eve till 4 pm, and the day after Christmas too. Looks like I'm going home (4 hour drive) for Christmas day only.

At least my boss is an awesome guy. And I left the company Xmas party with over $200 worth of schwag- Giro bike jerseys, Marmot chalk bag, marmot flask (good for those early morning approaches), Fox hats (which I traded for bike socks), and a kick ass pair of sunglasses. It's nice to work at a store that sells a lot of high end stuff- the companies take care of you.

And all the booze I could drink at our bowling party. The more I drank, the better I got at bowling. Imagine that.

mountainchick82

Dec 22, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #48 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Chris,

No worries though, I get unemployment which is nice and I'm moving back to Colorado.

In March I'm heading over to Japan to hang out for a few years :) They just had to be A**Hats about it, which pissed me off.

Partner j_ung

Dec 22, 2005, 8:11 PM
Post #49 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet! I just found out that my bonus is gonna happen. It's not bigger than I thought, but it's not smaller either. Happy happy!

Oh, shit... Mountainchica, I'm sorry about that. :(

mountainchick82

Dec 22, 2005, 8:17 PM
Post #50 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks jay

the company is closing all offices except for one, and they have no work. i was actually happy to be let go.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook