Partner philbox

Dec 23, 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #26 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be English majors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mac, may I suggest you try your hand at Spec work? (writing out specifications for products) I have to read and implement these all day long and the poor enligsh is killing me!!!!

Check this out and cringe:

In reply to:
If Auto Calibration have be selected, Date, Time Zone, Current Time and Daylight Savings have be not adjusted.

:wtf:

Oh what I would pay to read a Spec written by someone with proper english!!!!!

That`s the price you pay for importing everything from China. :wink:

comet

Dec 23, 2005, 1:26 AM
Post #27 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In short, I love what I do, and I would have had a very hard time finding it without that undergrad English degree. Don't give up hope yet!

A year ago that was me, was it not? I used to like being well-rounded and unspecialized but that was before I found out I hated office manager jobs and the like. I thought I too had found what I loved and was glad of my past silly decisions. But then again - you went back for something applicable. I didn't.

So in the past, based on your prior experiences, you found something that you loved. I think you did learn something (probably many things) from being at Cal Poly, however convoluted it may feel at the moment. Now you're feeling up shit creek without a paddle, because your last stab at what you loved didn't pan out.

I suppose what I was thinking was that despite this setback, you can still find something else that allows you to apply the same set of skills that made your previous track so appealing, precisely because you have past experiences, both good and bad, that give you valuable information about what works for you.

Partner macherry

Dec 23, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #28 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

english degree+
$1.50= a cup of coffee!!!!

.......this is coming from someone who has a degree in english and classical mythology!!!!!

i loved getting the degree.......enjoyed the learning experience and even worked as a journalist. But, if i had to go back, i would definitely go for a trade just to make the bucks. Most of the people i went to university with went into teaching or a totally different field, but never regretted being an english major. It defintely helped them in their other pursuits.

amstone

Dec 23, 2005, 2:58 AM
Post #29 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mac,

I am in DC and I know this way cool outdoorsy lady who is a freelance tech writer. I don't know how much tech writing experience you have but Learning Tree in LA and Irvine offers intensive (3-5 day) classes in tech writing if you need some credentials to back up the degree. Tech writers are in HUGE demand here out east. The aforementioned lady snowboards, paddles, and plays in between writing RFPs for NASA. Work is just a means to fund her hobbies. I was even recruited to help write an RFP for the local government. I am a finance major! Just a suggestion....

Stone

wjca

Dec 23, 2005, 5:33 AM
Post #30 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mac,

I am in DC and I know this way cool outdoorsy lady who is a freelance tech writer. I don't know how much tech writing experience you have but Learning Tree in LA and Irvine offers intensive (3-5 day) classes in tech writing if you need some credentials to back up the degree. Tech writers are in HUGE demand here out east. The aforementioned lady snowboards, paddles, and plays in between writing RFPs for NASA. Work is just a means to fund her hobbies. I was even recruited to help write an RFP for the local government. I am a finance major! Just a suggestion....

Stone

Partner ctardi

Dec 23, 2005, 8:15 AM
Post #31 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't nkow whether to laugh or cry at that Avenue Q thing, but it was worth the read.

Squier, don't get all freaked out by spellin miztakes. I only freak when I want to be stupid or if I'm getting paide to do it. ; )

It's supposed to be funny. :)

tavs

Dec 27, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #32 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the gist of all of these messages, whether it's what you were looking for or not, is 1) it's not necessarily just because you majored in English, 2) finding a (decent) job is often a crapshoot, 3) finding a (decent-paying) job you actually enjoy may be even more of a crapshoot, and 4) you're young and you've got lots of time to figure it all out.

Some more examples.......

Me: I was a history major (the English's majors useless older sister) at a liberal arts college. I did have a "concentration" in environmental studies that, combined with the "liberal arts" approach, gave me some (read: a couple courses) background in policy and science. I knew I wanted to follow my passion and work in the "environmental" field but beyond that I was lost. I got lucky, very very lucky--a professor I'd met during a semester-program knew someone in DC who was hiring for a research assistant position right around the time (two weeks before graduation) that I was getting desparate. After this professor proofed and edited (embellished??) my resume and cover letter, I had the job within a week. Total and complete crapshootery and luck.

My boyfriend: Just to show it's not only a liberal arts conundrum, my boyfriend is a mechanical engineer and a damn good one, went to school for it and everything, knew exactly what (practical) field he wanted to enter from the moment he started college. When we both quit our jobs, travelled for a summer, and moved from DC to SLC, he had three years experience as an engineer for the DOD. It took him a year to find an engineering job in SLC. He got that one because we happened to make friends with a climber who happened to be a research faculty at a university lab that was looking for a lab tech/engineer. Time and luck.

My sister: College senior (more or less, she should be graduating in May but after a couple of rough semesters last year, she won't be finishing until Dec 2006). English major at a reputable eastern liberal arts college. No idea what she wants to do, either within the "field" or not. But she's worked part-time at a bookstore for years, and she's willing to do that full-time after she graduates if she needs to before figuring out something better. Or she might move to Argentina with a high school friend who has family down there and try to teach English. Or something else completely unrelated. Whatever she can find. Maybe she'll get lucky and some connection she has will land something good in her lap.....or maybe not and she'll pay her dues for a few years.......or............

A friend: Another history major. After college, he worked for cheap for some environmental non-profit in San Fran, then as a ski bum/lifty in Colorado, then, somehow, through some connection with someone he met, found himself making boucou bucks working in finance on Wall Street. Now, he's in Sweden doing a master's degree in sustainability. WTF???

I could go on (I've got plenty of English-major friends now doing the investment banking thing, and on the other end, biology and chemistry majors making peanuts teaching environmental science for non-profits in after-school programs), but I think you get the picture--your English major hasn't damned you to a life of unemployment, nor have you necessarily wasted your time.....One of my current work-hats is as an undergrad advisor at the UofUtah, where at least half the students I see are 30 or older.......there's tons of time left for ya.

mountainchick82

Dec 28, 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #33 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mac,

As of the first of the year I'm unemployed...wanna climb ;)

No advise here, just a good luck and happy hunting. I'm an Environmental Science major and have now found that I don't know if consulting is my thing and am looking for a new career.

But seriously...if you want a mid-week partner I'm your gal until Mid-Feb when I move back to Colorado.

maculated

Dec 28, 2005, 7:09 AM
Post #34 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But seriously...if you want a mid-week partner I'm your gal until Mid-Feb when I move back to Colorado.

Ahh, moving? Well . .. I have to teach Tues and Thurs nights so I'm not free to drive around etc.

Tavs, thanks for the stories - hope it works out that way.

I still am going to stand by my statement - don't get a liberal arts major in college! Sorry!

Partner j_ung

Dec 28, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #35 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have a degree in anything. That's the way to go.

degaine

Jan 2, 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #36 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I still am going to stand by my statement - don't get a liberal arts major in college! Sorry!

That's a pretty huge generalization - you went from "don't major in English" to not getting a liberal arts major at all.

All this based on one person's experience in SLO.

maculated

Jan 2, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #37 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very astute, aren't you? ::roll::

Most advice comes from one person's experience in "x". Take it or leave it. I'd have ignored it too.

maculated

Jan 2, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #38 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very astute, aren't you? ::roll::

Most advice comes from one person's experience in "x". Take it or leave it. I'd have ignored it too.

lumpy

Jan 2, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #39 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to school for English as well, got my bachelors. Now what do I do? Looking back on it, it really was a waste of time. I graduated four years ago and have done nothing with my major. I doubt I will do anything with it in the future, other than continue to read and have deep meaningful thoughts about things.

It`s really not bad advice to pursue something more practical in school. My dad who is an English professor once told me how he reviewed over two hundred applications for one position in his department. There are other things out there besides books and rocks anyway.

=p

squierbypetzl

Jan 3, 2006, 8:19 AM
Post #40 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are other things out there besides books and rocks anyway.

Music, girls, surf, food..... I think that´s all of ´em.

atg200

Jan 3, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #41 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when did people get the idea that universities are trade schools?

edge

Jan 3, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #42 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what is funny, Kristin?

I graduated in 1982 with a degree in Electronics Engineering. That following week five frat brothers who had the same degree as I did all accepted high paying jobs. Initially; I was very, very jealous

I was also offerred a big bucks job, and turned it down. My dad was furious, as it was easily twice the salary he had ever achieved after 20 years of service. The breaking point was that they wanted me to work weekends, and I told them straight up that I could not do that, as it would interfere with my climbing.

All five of my career-oriented frat bros are divorced, and I suspect it is mostly due to their high pressure jobs.

I, on the other hand, took my sweet time, and after twenty years post-grad have climbed on multiple continents, been a published author, and have risen to the top of my new field (furnituremaking/designing). I have also been married to the true love of my life for almost 19 years.

Bottom line is that sometimes you just don't know what your true calling is until it konks you over the head. Sometimes it takes a coupple-a-konks, and that is alright.

I will die a very happy man, knowing that I did something that made me obscenely happy. If I did not live up to someone else's expectation, but lived up to my own, then I will truely consider my life a victory.

I wish I could just pass on my life experiences to you. I know it is hard making these decisions, but I think you have great things ahead of you. Please let me know if I can help in any way, or, alternatively, if you have a penchant for sanding Queen Anne cabriole legs.

shakylegs

Jan 3, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #43 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You were in a frat?!? That's kinda sad, don't you think?

edge

Jan 3, 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #44 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You were in a frat?!? That's kinda sad, don't you think?
Very sad, actually.

But we were the only organization that could legally drink from kegs in our pathetic dorm, so you do the math.

Otherwise, there were these Nazi RA's whose entire existance revolved around ratting good people out.

Personally, I peed in one of their gas tanks, rendering his Volvo immobile, and pukked various fruit chunks and rum all over the other guy's girlfriend. After a lengthy review, I was able to beat both charges.

Also, Delta Phi had the previous 4 years finals exams on file for all of my courses. I am quite sure I could have passed those tests anyway, if I were not halfway up Cannon Cliff. In fact, I graduated "in Absentia" while somewhere near the second pitch of VMC Direct-Direct.

I did return in time for the post graduation parties, but sadly missed my parents. They are still a little pissed off about that.

maculated

Jan 3, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #45 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ehh, this one will shock most of you. I am sitting here this morning in my Kappa Alpha Theta sweatshirt. I was in a sorority for a year before dropping out - it's the die-hards you have to watch out for. It was a good way to stay playing sports regularly!

Anyway Edge, thanks for the post.

And Andrew, unless you're in the upper classes, college is totally a trade school these days. It's impractical to get a classical liberal education and try to sell yourself based on that nowadays. Back when college degrees really meant something, they were so rare that the liberal education was highly sought after. Might be good for lawyers, philosophers, or someone like that, but I think on average most people go into college, and most people who look at resumes, see them as trade schools. We live in a highly specialized society. My friend was just promoted at work for the "online pant sales" position. Online pant sales? That's SPECIFIC.

That's my opinion, but I think it's the sad opinion of most profs who teach at Poly. We get it from listening to our students, or else I would not hear the ol "I hate writing, I can't wait to get to the major material classes" all the time.

edge

Jan 3, 2006, 5:47 PM
Post #46 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kappa Alpha Theta

KAT?

What a great name for a sorority.

Our rival frat, who were unofficial, was Tryto Tappa Keg.

Partner cliffhanger9

Jan 5, 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #47 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a little bit comforting to hear from those of you who graduated with one thing and have been successful (however you would like to take that word) in a completely different career.

Just sorta curious though what that education was worth to you at the time you recieved the degree vs what it is worth to you now.

Let me explain. Many of you say that you wouldnt be where you are today if you hadnt gotten that degree whether that is currently the field you are in or not. I agree that there are many life experiences (inculding higher education) that although we dont recognize their benefits immediately or directly, looking back 20 years down the road we cant imagine where we'd be without them.

I m not regretting my decision to pursue higher education per se and I dont really care whether in 20 years i end up doing something completely different. I ve accepted that this will happen being that the majority of stories i have heard including the ones posted here turn out for the best and people are ultimately happy and find their place.

Back to my question. Compare what that education was worth to you at the time you recieved the degree vs what it is worth to you now.

I'm currently pursuing an undergraduate degree and despite everyone saying it should be the most fruitful time of my life - it is without a doubt the most miserable time of my life. I m confident that everything will work out for the best over time and in twenty years i ll be as successful as most of you no matter what field i pursue. right now though the value of this experience is very costly and I cant get that thought out of my mind because i am sacrificing soo much right now.

I guess I m looking to hear from those who made alot of sacrifices to get something that they ended up not using to its potential and how you justify those sacrifices to yourself years later..

I dont really know what kind of responses i am looking for since i probably had more debt in my first year of university than most of you had your entire higher educational career.

Thanks for sharing

wjca

Jan 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #48 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

English's stoopid.

atg200

Jan 5, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #49 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in terms of applying to my career, my education was absolutely worthless(cello performance major, never did get the degree). i've never been offered a job based on my education, and i've never been turned because of it either.

in terms of future career networking, it was a big deal. i worked as a work study in a music technology lab, and my boss there eventually hired me to work as a programmer at a dotcom because she knew i was smart, learned fast and on my own, and was motivated.

in terms of learning about entirely new things i had never imagined studying, it was a gold mine. i learned programming mostly on my own, but with help from a professor of mine. i knew of him as a composer from my cello teacher, so i weaseled my way into his graduate level digitally controlled music systems class. i was shocked when it was all programming and hardcore math, but i worked my ass off and ended up acing the class. the professor liked my work enough that he got permission to teach me private computer music lessons the next semester, and that is where i started to learn a lot about programming, unix, etc. that professor is still a very good friend 8 years later.

i was an information sponge in college and tried to learn as much about everything as i could, and didn't worry too much about my grades or whether i would have a career coming out of it. in retrospect i think i did it perfectly - i was exposed to a lot of fields, met a lot of very smart people, didn't waste time with administrivia that it turns out wouldn't have mattered to me, etc. i really enjoyed college, but i was also gripped that i would have no clue what to do when it was over. i just kinda lucked into my current path, but it seems that happened to a lot of my classmates who were motivated and putting themselves out there a lot.

i think its a bummer if folks treat college like a trade school. that definitely wasn't the case with the folks i was around at NYU back in the mid 90s, but i'm not sure if that is because of the school or the people that i chose to associate with.

collegekid

Jan 6, 2006, 1:08 AM
Post #50 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't get it, if you enjoyed studying english, and wanted to do that as a career, then why do you regret spending the last four or so years doing what you enjoy? Do you regret rock climbing, just because you haven't become a paid professional?

Have you tried writing fiction, or a book, or anything else? Write a book about how your master's committee screwed you, and how the educational system of the united states is fucked up. Not only will you get to blow off a lot of steem, but you'll get to write about something you know a lot about, and possibly make some money in the process (assuming you get published).

"Grey skies are gonna clear up, put on a happy face"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook