RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

lubby

Jan 3, 2006, 6:05 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

which snowshoe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Another which ???? post. Ok, I am brand new to snowshoes but I am thinking I will play enough this year alone to warrant getting a pair. What do people recommend (reading threads MSR and Atlas seem very popular). These will be used on winter alpine climb and playing in snowfields and in around the Oregon mountains (Hood, Sisters, etc).

Of course I will rent for my first outing or two to see what I love/hate about the rentals, but I want to know where to start looking.

Quality gear is much more important to me than price. And I tend to be a minimalist/lightwieght gear guy so something cool and fancy is nice.

I am 155lbs + <30lbs pack.

Thanks!
Jeremy

pico23

Jan 3, 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Re: which snowshoe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people don't like plastic shoes. But MSR snowshoes have held up to 6 years of ABUSE. I finally replaced my bindings this year. 6 years after I got them. They didn't fail they were just getting tattered.

My wife has the OLDER lace up Denalis which I love for soft boots and those are still going strong but the binding is also tattered, I will however wait for those to fail before replacing them because MSR doesn't use the laceups anymore.

Anyway, the flotation is adjustable but only with the 6 inch tail. The 8in is too big and puts the binding too far forward. I rarely use the tails unless I know I am going to be in deep snow with a heavy pack for a long period of time. The flotation on the stock Denalis tends to be slightly higher than a non plastic shoe for it's size.

And for those who don't like plastic MSR now makes the Alpine Ascents which use a rigig cookie cutter outer frame with serrated edges and a pinned on flotation web. This creates (for it's weight) an indestructable shoe. Not as sturdy as the Denali series but more sturdy than a shoe with the web wrapped around the shoes frame.

Personally, i think the Alpine Ascents are pricey and not significant in weight savings. Also the 2 strap binding is unstable with big feet and the heel televator tends to drop.

I was skeptical of the Denalis 6 years ago but I'm pretty well sold on them now. I just wish they still used or supported the laceup binding which I feel is superior when not using plastic boots (and actually gives a more precise fit with or without plastics).

gullwing19

Jan 3, 2006, 7:58 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you mistakenly type in "rockclimbing.com" when you meant to type in "snowshoeing.com?"

Partner euroford

Jan 3, 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just started another snowshoes thread over in the alpine forum. i'm pretty much sold on the MSR Denali Ascents, however the other day i discovered the brand TSL and now i'm looking for some feedback on those before i make a final decision.

the MSR's seam to have a pretty cult like following of happy customers.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/104145

stonefoxgirl

Jan 3, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
There are some good companies out there but I am partial to Atlas.
The reason I like them so much is because of their versitility, MY agility to move in them rather than be restricted to walking or running a certain way and how light they are.
Pros of this snowshoe: I don't know of any Cons...
Spring-loaded suspension (rather than standing on a hinged platform you are standing on an articulated platform) This means that the shoe is able to dig into the snow on flat ground or sideways on a slope giving you the ability to keep your balance and takes the strain off of your ankles(lateral flex). SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!
Bindings (with Atlas, you get a right and a left, not just two shoes and you pick a foot) This gives you an advantage of having a shoe that fits specifically to each foot giving a great fit.
Crampons offer great stability at all angles and really dig in.
Lastly I wanted to mention that with this shoe and it's articulation technology rather than a hinged shoe you are even able to lift your foot and walk backwards comfortably. A hinged shoe drags in the back and will not give you this option. If I had the choice, I would go with Atlas.
I have them, I sell them (can't you tell), they are a great product.
Given your weight ratio I would go with the 1025's.
They hold between 120 lbs up to 200 lbs.
Check out the Atlas site http://www.atlassnowshoe.com/
Good Luck!
If you have other questions feel free to PM me.
Safe Travels!

pepsbandit

Jan 3, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snowshoes are a respected form of travel here on rockclimbing.com. You came to the right place! And I'm loving my Atlas snowshoes!

brewtoad

Jan 3, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have Redfeather Alpines and love them for northern minnesota and ontario bush whacking and river walking...if i need tons of gear for a trip or climb i pull a sled.
We do have some steep terrain around here but not real mountains so take that with a grain of salt...
Nodin

melekzek

Jan 3, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used to make my own. I should have shot some photos.

lesserpower

Feb 14, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peace be with you all.

petsfed

Feb 14, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i just started another snowshoes thread over in the alpine forum. i'm pretty much sold on the MSR Denali Ascents, however the other day i discovered the brand TSL and now i'm looking for some feedback on those before i make a final decision.

the MSR's seam to have a pretty cult like following of happy customers.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/104145

When I was in the market for a pair some time ago, I really liked the tubbs mountaineering shoes. But my brother got me a pair of Denali Ascents and they are the best I've ever used. Easy binding, fairly lightweight, nigh on indestructible.

climbingaggie03

Feb 15, 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the MSR's they have the best traction of any snowshoes. I've used atlas models and they can't side hill, and they don't grip too well on slopes. The MSR's have teeth on the sides, and traction bars for grip forwards and backwards. I also like the adjustability of the tails for different conditions. The ascents are good if you are going to be going up hills alot, but you don't have to have them.

lubby

Feb 15, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up getting the Lightning Ascents (closeout from Mountiainshop.net). I like lightweight. I dont really do much recreational snowshoeing so the "comfort" argument of the 1025s doesnt bear much (and seems very subjective). The Denali Ascents seems like a good option too.. with the expandability of the tail. But I dont see myself needing the extra float. For the amount of times I will use them, if I need the float I will just walk in someones footsteps.

Thanks all for the input.

scuclimber

Feb 15, 2006, 7:18 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to recommend the Lightning Ascents. Good choice. (I work at a shop too)

Colin

nevenneve

Feb 15, 2006, 7:07 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the saying "if you can't drink it it's powder" holds true you probably are in need of a shoe that works on denser snow at lower elevations. Though I have never used the MSR shoes you could be better off with them. When it actually snows up in the North woods larger more stable shoes float better and make climbing over downed trees and crawling through six foot powder drifts a beter choice. Maybe you could try seeing what some guides in the area use.

jimdavis

Feb 16, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used some Tubbs, Atlas's, and the MSR Denali's...and the MSR's were by far the best.

The bindings were simply and stayed on the best, they have extendable flotation so you can put the tails on for fresh powder or a heavy pack, but not have too much shoe for general use....and they were nice and light on my feet compared to the Atlas and Tubbs metal frame design.

I wear size 14 plastic boots already, I DON'T need any more weight to pick up with each step.

So, here's another vote for the MSR's!

Cheers,
Jim

ryko

Feb 16, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having lived in Washington and played extensively in the Cascades, get the MSRs. You are not going to need extra floatation in the Cascadian concrete. Also since a lot of stuff is steeper, the shorter length and the all-encompassing crampon traction are a huge plus. I've climbed some mtns nearing 60-degree sections without having to take them off.

Also bindings have never come undone on me and they are indestructable, having banged them on some of the wind-scourged rock here in the Indian Peaks in Colorado.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook