Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

crackers

Jan 6, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #101 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
That is certainly the ideal way to test the hypothesis, but I'm still waiting for that $100,000 check to implement my study.

Maybe you should get somebody who knows what they're talking about and could actually get something published in a real journal to write up a real proposal for a real study then...

I know about 20 to 30 people who climb over 13+. They range from comp climbers to trad guys to alpine folk. They all do different things, and more than half lift weights. Who knows? Who even knows how many people climb 13+? 8a.nu?

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #102 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
That is certainly the ideal way to test the hypothesis, but I'm still waiting for that $100,000 check to implement my study.

Maybe you should get somebody who knows what they're talking about and could actually get something published in a real journal to write up a real proposal for a real study then...

I know what I'm talking about it and could get it published. The question is who would fund it?

Jay

tomma

Jan 6, 2006, 5:18 PM
Post #103 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front levers, Campus Boards, and Beginner Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would tend to agree with dave, even sharma and graham did campus and other extra-climbing workouts in their early days, at least that's what they say in interviews..

i would also look at pull-ups, front levers, etc. as fitness inreasing exercises and it should be beyond any dispute that you need a high degree of general fitness to respond properly to climbing specific training,

another mental experiments: two young individuals, possibly twins to ignore genetic potential, one of them does running, mountain biking, swimmning, pull-ups, push-ups. hiking, some basic gymnastics at school, the other one does tv, parties and computer games (being young he hasn't grown very fat yet),

they both start climbing, no extra training, the question is: whose body will respond better (in terms of performencegrow) to the new stimuli..

crackers

Jan 6, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #104 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry Jay, but you have presented me with nothing that makes me believe that you know what you're talking about or that you could get it published. I don't know you, and while I would like to believe you, this is the internet and I just can't take this very seriously. $100k is chump change in medical research.

The link you provided previously was to something that was a joke. 50 people for a health study? hahaha. No control? Randomization without resampling of such a small population? That's just not the way it works in the expereince of my or my friends with whom I've spoken. This represents a pool of people who've written reports to congress on health care, the british and canadian ministries, many peer reviewed journal articles like Nature and JAMA and run large, well designed and successful public health programs in the US and abroad.

Furthermore, many of my friends doing health research, such as a study on acclimatization, have had little or no problems finding funding in excess of $100k. Why are you having problems finding money? Have you actually tried? Do you have a serious research proposal? Where have you looked for money? Have you tried NIH? HHMI? Looked around for a lab that is doing research on recruitment? Could you supply your bibliography?

I'd love to see something that is serious. But you need to step up and provide it. Create a bibliography and then a real research methodology. What are you, a MS candidate in biostats/epi? Maybe you can do this, but if you want to, a thorough grounding in reality seems necessary.

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #105 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In particular, the more advanced the climber, the more specific his training tends to be, to the point that the most advanced climbers do little off-the-rock (or out-of-the-rock-gym) training at all. In contrast, beginning to intermediate climbers seem obsessed with aparatus exercises, such as pull-ups and front levers. If such exercises are so effective, then it seems reasonable they would be used more often by advanced climbers, but we don't seem to observe this, as a rule.

Jay

This could be interpreted quite logically the other way as well (chicken-egg; egg-chicken):

I know, and I have made that argument many times in other contexts. But in this context:
In reply to:
1. Noob starts doing chins/levers/whatever in addition to climbing, to gain strength quicker than he would by merely climbing 2-3 times per week

First of all, no knowledgeable climber is arguing that "merely climbing 2-3 times per week" is efficient training. We are arguing that structured on-the-rock (or rock gym) climbing training is more effective and efficient than aparartus training. To the trained eye (and I would consider myself barely on the fringe of that group), it is obvious why this is true: beginning and intermediate climbers -- the very ones who chronically stress aparatus training -- have gross inefficiencies in their climbing movement, the correction of which, which can only be accomplished by movement training, would result in quantum gains in their performance. No amount of front-lever or pull-up training will address this deficiency; if anything, it appears to me that such training actually tends to reiniforce inefficient movement habits.

In reply to:
Again, I have no proof or even experience to back this sequence of events, but since we're interpreting observations here, we should make sure we're examining all reasonable possibilities before forming rigid point of views (if we care at all about being correct that is).

I agree.

Jay

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 7:30 PM
Post #106 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry Jay, but you have presented me with nothing that makes me believe that you know what you're talking about or that you could get it published. I don't know you, and while I would like to believe you, this is the internet and I just can't take this very seriously. $100k is chump change in medical research.

The link you provided previously was to something that was a joke. 50 people for a health study? hahaha. No control? Randomization without resampling of such a small population? That's just not the way it works in the expereince of my or my friends with whom I've spoken. This represents a pool of people who've written reports to congress on health care, the british and canadian ministries, many peer reviewed journal articles like Nature and JAMA and run large, well designed and successful public health programs in the US and abroad.

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about. The study design is controlled. I did not do a sample size calculation at all (nor will I without getting paid to); nevertheless your assertion that a sample size of 50 is a joke for a "health study" could not be more wrong. Sample sizes of around 20 are ROUTINE in medical and health research. Got that? R-O-U-T-I-N-E. For instance, I am currently writing a reveiw paper of 16 published trials on diet and cholesterol levels. Of the 16 studies, precisely one has a sample size greater than 50, and it is only 58. The remaining 15 studies have sample sizes ranging from 10 to 40. All were randomized, controlled studies; all were published in peer-review journals, some of them very prestigious ones. Now, as to resampling: Resampling is rarely, if ever, done in this type of research. In fact, I can't think of a single paper of a randomized experiment I have ever read in medicine, dentistry, epidemiology, immunology, nutrition, or exercise physiology -- all fields in which I have some degree of experience -- in which resampling was done. In fact, your insistance on resampling is completely off-the-wall. This is coming from a published, working, privately and NIH-funded University medical statistician. Now please stop applying concepts from your field, which I believe you claimed was operations research, to mine. Clearly, things aren't done the same way. Christ, I just looked at your profile, and you're a backpack manufacturer. Why am I even responding to you?

In reply to:
Furthermore, many of my friends doing health research, such as a study on acclimatization, have had little or no problems finding funding in excess of $100k.

Well, good, maybe somebody someday will fund such a study.

In reply to:
Have you actually tried? Do you have a serious research proposal?

No, I haven't actually tried, and no I don't have a serious research proposal. I FUCKING OUTLINED IN 5 MINUTES IN A POST ON ROCKCLIMBING.COM HOW AND WHY SUCH A STUDY COULD BE CONDUCTED. I have a full-time job and a part-time consulting business. I am in no position to be a PI on such a study, though it would be fun to collaberate on one.

Jay

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2006, 7:35 PM
Post #107 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, it's kind of a funy thought, but after reading what you wrote about beginning climbers, I realized that some beginning climbers are climbing V9, or close to it by your definition.

This does not contradict your notion!

Here's the deal:

I have seen a number of kids over the years, start out climbing, get obsessed, work problems mightily, and in less than two or three years they have developed so much whatever you want to call it that they can climb some extremely hard things. Like V6-9.

However, they still are using their arms an awful lot, they think weights help, they like to do pullups, etc.

It's fun to watch these kids progress, and see them go as far as their arms will take them, and then see them learn to add in good foot work and balance. They can hold on to stuff you would not believe.

It's also amazing to see someone so young and non-decrepit, with energy to burn, power through stuff (however inefficiently) that I can only do by craft and guile, if I can do em at all.

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #108 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have seen a number of kids over the years, start out climbing, get obsessed, work problems mightily, and in less than two or three years they have developed so much whatever you want to call it that they can climb some extremely hard things. Like V6-9.

However, they still are using their arms an awful lot, they think weights help, they like to do pullups, etc.

I don't know about the V6 kids -- V6 isn't all that hard (by way of proof, I've sent V6), but if you think the V9 kids are muscling their way up V9 problems, then you don't know what to look for in their movement. I have yet to see a V9 boulderer whose balance and timing was way better than mine.

Jay

crackers

Jan 6, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #109 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, relax. If you want to be taken seriously act seriously.

In reply to:
You have no f---ing clue what you are talking about. The study design is controlled. ...brevity cut... Now please stop applying concepts from your field, operations research, to mine. Clearly, things aren't done the same way.

Okay, everybody I talked to in your field (actually people who wrestle stats for reports to CMS, NIH and others about funding health policy and effectiveness) thought a population of 50 would never get funding in a million years. They all thought that you would need at least 100 to get a decent sample out of any such study. They laughed themselves silly at the prospect of trying to do such a study with a population of 50. Do you disagree?

I was applying more my fiance's opinion than mine. She's the primary author on more than one statistical analysis of health care paper thats JAMA/Nature and created a 100% accurate test for a particular type of cancer. However, I know that most of the leading think tanks in health policy do resampling. I know because I've done consulting for them on random number generation.

Basically, I thought your attitude of here's my study design, give me money was laughable. It reads like a child's demands for candy, not a professional's thoughts. You referred me to it as if it were a real prop.

I would be happy or even excited to help find a PI and funding for such a study, but you're right, it's not my area and I couldn't write a legit grant.

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #110 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jay, relax. If you want to be taken seriously act seriously.

In reply to:
You have no f---ing clue what you are talking about. The study design is controlled. ...brevity cut... Now please stop applying concepts from your field, operations research, to mine. Clearly, things aren't done the same way.

Okay, everybody I talked to in your field (actually people who wrestle stats for reports to CMS, NIH and others about funding health policy and effectiveness) thought a population of 50 would never get funding in a million years. They all thought that you would need at least 100 to get a decent sample out of any such study. They laughed themselves silly at the prospect of trying to do such a study with a population of 50. Do you disagree?

First of all, I don't think I ever recommended any particular sample size, butr rather said "N climbers." If I mentionded any numbers at all, it was just to make the discussion more concrete. Off the top of my head, I would suspect that you might need 50 subjects per treatment arm. But that's just short of a wild guess. As you should know, the number of subjects required is dependent on the minimum treatment effect of interest and the variance of the treatment effect. Obviously, one would estimate those values (which isn't entirely trivial) and do a standard sample size calculation as part of the strudy design.

In reply to:
I was applying more my fiance's opinion than mine. She's the primary author on more than one statistical analysis of health care paper thats JAMA/Nature and created a 100% accurate test for a particular type of cancer.

The possibility of a 100%-accurate diagnostic test goes against principles of sensitivity vs. specificity (as I understand them) that I was taught in grad school. Could you send me a citation to the paper. I'd be interested in reading it.

In reply to:
However, I know that most of the leading think tanks in health policy do resampling.

It would be more accurate to state that they do resampling when appropriate, for example, when accurate estimates from complex surveys designs are required. In clinical experiments, on the other hand, resampling is rarely if ever done.

In reply to:
Basically, I thought your attitude of here's my study design, give me money was laughable.

Well, what went over your head was that I wasn't really asking for the money. That part was a joke; an obvious one, or so I thought.

In reply to:
You referred me to it as if it were a real prop.

You failed to read it in context. Somebody said "you can't do this" and I said, "yeah, you can. This is basically how you'd go about it." Why on earth you thought that an actual research proposal, which would require weeks to months of man-hours to write, would be posted in a thread on rockclimbing.com is beyond me.

In reply to:
I would be happy or even excited to help find a PI and funding for such a study, but you're right, it's not my area and I couldn't write a legit grant.

Finding a funding agency would be the crux, I suspect. I doubt a hypothesis about which of two training regimes is more effective for sport climbing is of much interest to anyone other than climbers (and even they aren't too open-minded about it).

Jay

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #111 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't know about the V6 kids -- V6 isn't all that hard (by way of proof, I've sent V6), but if you think the V9 kids are muscling their way up V9 problems, then you don't know what to look for in their movement. I have yet to see a V9 boulderer whose balance and timing was way better than mine.

Jay

Jay, they do V6 in about a years time or even less. My point was that by the time most of then are doing the V9s, they are no longer just pulling, but many still think pullups are great stuff.

One well known young southern boulderer likes to say there is no substitue for power.

Yeah, I guess you are right, I have no idea what I am looking at. Bah. Do not put words in my mouth.

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #112 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One well known young southern boulderer likes to say there is no substitue for power.

Well, there you go, that just about proves it.

In reply to:
Yeah, I guess you are right, I have no idea what I am looking at. Bah. Do not put words in my mouth.

The longer I climb, the more subtlety I am able to see in movement. When I first started sport climbing and training in a gym, I used to think the strong boulder kids were all upper body strength. Looking with more experienced eyes, I can see them do many moves I can't because of their sense of balance and timing is far better than mine. What I used to attribute to greater upper body strength I can now see is more efficient movement. Even the handful of mutant-strong climbers in our gym have far more efficent movement. You have to look carefully, but it is there in spades.

Jay

crackers

Jan 6, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #113 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First of all, I don't think I ever recommended any particular sample size, butr rather said "N climbers." If I mentionded any numbers at all, it was just to make the discussion more concrete...

In your initial description of your "study" you did not. Subsequently, you said 50. As you should know, the likelihood of any valid data coming out of such a small pool of people is minimal. Oh wait, now you say that I should know that.

In reply to:
The possibility of a 100%-accurate diagnostic test goes against principles of sensitivity vs. specificity (as I understand them) that I was taught in grad school. Could you send me a citation to the paper. I'd be interested in reading it.

I sent a pm to jt512 referring him to just what the process was. I think it's far outside of the realm of this discussion. If he wants to, I am sure we can pursue the matter.

In reply to:
...Why on earth you thought that an actual research proposal, which would require weeks to months of man-hours to write, would be posted in a thread on rockclimbing.com is beyond me.

Because you said that you had designed a such study and posted such a proposal. If you had written something like the above, I would have approached it much differently. You state that you approached your originial post from a perspective of either correcting somebody you found to be in error OR from the perspective of a joke. Which is it? Should I take you seriously or not? :roll: or :wink: ?

merry 12th day of some holiday.

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #114 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:

The longer I climb, the more subtlety I am able to see in movement. When I first started sport climbing and training in a gym, I used to think the strong boulder kids were all upper body strength. Looking with more experienced eyes, I can see them do many moves I can't because of their sense of balance and timing is far better than mine. What I used to attribute to greater upper body strength I can now see is more efficient movement. Even the handful of mutant-strong climbers in our gym have far more efficent movement. You have to look carefully, but it is there in spades.

Jay

I give up. You seem to be determined to talk about something other than the point of the perceived effects of pullups, weights and other stuff like that. These climbers I refer to are not just some people in the gym, they are my friends. I climb with them on a regular basis and have watched them progress over years.

One of the best of the current bunch, who does indeed climb V9, loves his pullups and weight lifting. He loves campusing. He's also still in high school. He does believe in foot work and balance BTW, he just often does not need to rely on them.

I'm not going to argue against the postive effects of balance, efficient movement and that stuff, hell one of the main proponents of that is a friend of mine. Besides, it happens to be correct. BUT, young, strong climbers at least in the beginning, can work thought certain kinds of problems on mostly power and grip, and yet they are still beginners by the notion you posted way above.

One of my points is that I know at least one V9 kid who will look at you like you are a crazy man if you tell him that pullups are not very good for climbing.

It is also interesting to see people in the progression pull power moves on crap slopers out from overhangs, and then flail on thin face stuff that requires a lot of balance and careful movement.

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #115 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

I give up. You seem to be determined to talk about something other than the point of the perceived effects of pullups, weights and other stuff like that.

You're right. I'm not interested in the perceived benefits at all. Who cares? If perceptions were reliable, we wouldn't be debating this at all. Almost every climber I know, and almost every participant in this thread, perceives that the way to climb better is to increase strength via aparatus training. Climbers believe that this type of strength training is key whether they actually benefit from it or not. At least one partner of mine insists that his regular weight-lifting routine has improved his climbing in spite of the fact that he has been almost fully plateaued for the last 3 years. My observation is the opposite: weight training has reinforced his inefficient movement habits and retarded his progress. If what mattered was climbers perceptions, then this debate would have been over before it had begun.

Jay

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #116 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

I give up. You seem to be determined to talk about something other than the point of the perceived effects of pullups, weights and other stuff like that.

You're right. I'm not interested in the perceived benefits at all. Who cares? If perceptions were reliable, we wouldn't be debating this at all. Almost every climber I know, and almost every participant in this thread, perceives that the way to climb better is to increase strength via aparatus training. Climbers believe that this type of strength training is key whether they actually benefit from it or not. At least one partner of mine insists that his regular weight-lifting routine has improved his climbing in spite of the fact that he has been almost fully plateaued for the last 3 years. My observation is the opposite: weight training has reinforced his inefficient movement habits and retarded his progress. If what mattered was climbers perceptions, then this debate would have been over before it had begun.

Jay

See Jay, I'm agreeing with you, I'm just pointing out what you also just now mentioned-- that some people, even fairly skilled people, believe in stuff that does not help all the much. I just think it's kind of funny that that happens.

Like I said in my first post.

:lol:

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #117 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
First of all, I don't think I ever recommended any particular sample size, butr rather said "N climbers." If I mentionded any numbers at all, it was just to make the discussion more concrete...

In your initial description of your "study" you did not. Subsequently, you said 50. As you should know, the likelihood of any valid data coming out of such a small pool of people is minimal. Oh wait, now you say that I should know that.

You just won't quit, will you; you have to keep talking out of your ass.

Without taking a stand on the number of subjects required for a specific climbing study, I will adress (for the second time) your vaguely and poorly worded claim that "the likelihood of any valid data coming out of such a small pool of people is minimal." First of all, validity is not a function of sample size. Validity refers to the absense of bias, which is not a function of sample size. Precision on the other hand is. Precision of an estimate is a function of the sample size and the variability of the data. Both of these have to be estimated (or guessed at) before an appropriate sample size can be determined. These parameters vary greatly among studies. Sample sizes for metabolic trials are usually only about 20 subjects, which is perfectly appropriate, given the narrow variability of the data and the degree of precision required; in contrast, nutritional epidemiologic studies require in excess of 100,000 subjects because, among other reasons, the sample size has to compensate for rather serious imprecision of the data. A climbing study of the type discusssed would likely require more than 20 subject, but less than 100,000. As a statistician I don't guess at sample sizes; I calculate sample size requirements, which, incidentally, I expect to get paid to do. Nobody has paid me to calculate a sample size for this study, so I don't know what sample size would be required.

In reply to:
In reply to:
...Why on earth you thought that an actual research proposal, which would require weeks to months of man-hours to write, would be posted in a thread on rockclimbing.com is beyond me.

In reply to:
Because you said that you had designed a such study and posted such a proposal. If you had written something like the above, I would have approached it much differently. You state that you approached your originial post from a perspective of either correcting somebody you found to be in error OR from the perspective of a joke. Which is it? Should I take you seriously or not? :roll: or :wink: ?

merry 12th day of some holiday.

I made it explicit once already, but I'll repeat it, since you have demonstrated a distinct pattern of needing to hear things at least twice, that my asking for a check was the part that was the joke. The study design, as far as I went with it, was serious. If you had some kind of sense -- be it humor or common -- that would have been obvious to you.

Jay

crackers

Jan 6, 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #118 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nobody has paid me to calculate a sample size for this study, so I don't know what sample size would be required.

finally. you want to prognosticate about the effectiveness of various training strategies without doing anywork just like just about everybody else posting in this thread*. You're right, my words were apparently poorly chosen, then again, your monotonous argument about whether or not appropriate strength is necessary to climb hard is at least as poorly constructed. wake up! smell the coffee! After I asked you what your credentials are and you didn't bother responding, well, the only way i'm going to find out exactly what you do know is through social engineering.

In reply to:
I made it explicit once already, but I'll ... obvious to you.

yawn. sorry, jay, i won't guess what the crux of studying climbing training would be because i've never tried, nor will i guess what you're joking about and what seems to irritate you, since i really prefer to do things than to prognosticate. look. sen turkce konusabilir misin? baska bir dili biliyor musun? One person's obvious isn't another's...be explicit.

btw. i am now done done done with this thread. :D

*i am convinced that fluxus did work. the rest of us are bullshitting. :D

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #119 of 119 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Nobody has paid me to calculate a sample size for this study, so I don't know what sample size would be required.

finally. you want to prognosticate about the effectiveness of various training strategies without doing anywork just like just about everybody else posting in this thread*.

I am trying to argue on the basis of the available data, which, as we have noted, is sparse. But it is absurd for you to expect me, or anyone else, to dedicate 3 years of his life to conducting a primary research study every time he comes across an unanswered question.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook