Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

paul3eb

Jan 12, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #76 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aliens Testing results by Mountain Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm sure i'm being "that" guy (especially since i didn't read every post all the way through), but can we be sure that the poster of the original thread is really someone from mgear? i can't seem to find anything on their website concerning the issue.. that said, i also can't find aliens for sale on the site (but given their usually backordered status, i don't think that's too extra-ordinary). anyone have any thoughts about this? did i miss something in the previous posts? sorry for being a little lazy..

davidji

Jan 12, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #77 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would like to know at how many pounds of pressure each cam broke.
Except pressure isn't measured in pounds. I'm not being pedantic here. When people discuss pressure in terms of a unit of force, it's usually while trying to explain something they don't understand. If you're the exception, sorry, my bad: I stopped reading after that. I'd have to crack the books to follow the statistical argument anyway, and that would be wrong.

josephgdawson

Jan 12, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #78 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Basing my response on the assumption that you understand the first sentence in its entirety, the stated p-value (in this case) is the approximate probability that 33.3% or more units would have failed below their rated strength (the observed result) if, in the population from which the tested sample of units were derived, 0.135% failed below their rated strength....
Jay

I see what you are saying, but this is not the correct methodology. Let's say that a cam is rated to hold 3000 pounds. We test 10 cams and find out that 2 of them fail at a weight of less than 3000 pounds. This does not tell us a lot.

Now, say we get more data about that same test. Two of the cams failed at 2999 pounds and the other 8 failed at 3500 pounds. If we use a null hypothosis that the cams fail at more than 3000 pounds, then results are not statistically significant and we cannot disprove our null. That is all there is to it.

If we change the assumptions about the data to: 2 cams failed at 1500 pounds and the other 8 failed at 3001 pounds, then the weight at which the cams are failing is going to be significantly less than 3000 pounds.

Mgear has not said at what weight the Aliens failed, therefore, we do not know if they are failing at a strength that is significantly lower than their stated strength. Frankly, if they are failing at 10 pounds less than CCH says they will, I could give a rat's ass. If they are failing at 1000 pounds, then I am going to return my Aliens to REI. Statistics aside, CCH is not handling this too well and I hope to see a recall.

CCH should look to Kryponite locks.

pico23

Jan 12, 2006, 3:31 AM
Post #79 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let me pose this question,

If you (anyone saying this isn't significant, mgear test) and I walked into any climbing shop in the country and I was trying to sell you on CCH cams. We pulled 9 random cams off the shelf and tested them and 3 failed below the stated max and at different failure points than CCH's own test showed to be the weak link.

would you still buy the cams? if you did you're an idiot. if you said, maybe but I'd like more testing your a bit smarter, if you said NO not until something is confirmed one way or another your probably on the right track.

just seems foolish to say this test is meaningless. at the very least it confirms some sort of problem that CCH didn't aknowledge.

piton

Jan 12, 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #80 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my reply to an earlier post I stated that Mountain Gear would test a sample of our in-stock Aliens and post results on this forum. Following are our findings. Please realize that Mountain Gear’s tests results are not “official,” they were not independent, nor did they represent a random sampling of all Aliens.

We took nine units of various sizes and date stamps dating back to the earliest we had in stock which is 0605 for pull testing. Of the nine Aliens tested, three brazes failed and the cable pulled out at below the CCH-stated max strength for that size. The failures were from different sizes and date stamps, and included both Hybrid and regular Aliens.

Since we reported these findings to Dave at CCH, he has been working diligently to identify the source and scope of the problem. I expect that we will see information from him soon. According to Dave, CCH is also reporting the issue to the CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission), and will work in concert with them to remove the potentially affected Aliens from the Market. You will have to rely on this process to get the final results of the investigation of these products.

We have also informed REI of our findings and they reacted quickly to work with CCH and Mountain Gear so that there can be a coordinated effort to get the potentially affected Aliens off the market and off climbers racks.

If you bought potentially affected Aliens from Mountain Gear:
We will contact you with instructions on getting them returned, inspected, repaired and/or replaced. We will also post information by Friday 12 p.m. PST on returning potentially affected CCH product at http://www.mountaingear.com/aliens.

Mountain Gear wants the best results for the climbing community. I wish I could tell you more but this is the best information we have at this time. We will continue to encourage CCH to act quickly to thoroughly complete their investigation, and will post more information on our website as we receive it from CCH or the CPSC.

Paul Fish
President
Mountain Gear, Inc

being part of small business. service and how you treat customers goes a long way. this is how you get repeat customers.

thank you Paul

jt512

Jan 12, 2006, 3:39 AM
Post #81 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Basing my response on the assumption that you understand the first sentence in its entirety, the stated p-value (in this case) is the approximate probability that 33.3% or more units would have failed below their rated strength (the observed result) if, in the population from which the tested sample of units were derived, 0.135% failed below their rated strength....
Jay

I see what you are saying, but this is not the correct methodology. Let's say that a cam is rated to hold 3000 pounds. We test 10 cams and find out that 2 of them fail at a weight of less than 3000 pounds. This does not tell us a lot.

It tells us that the rated strength is wrong. Only a tiny proportion of units are supposed to fail below their rated strength, not 20% of them.

In reply to:
Now, say we get more data about that same test. Two of the cams failed at 2999 pounds and the other 8 failed at 3500 pounds. If we use a null hypothosis that the cams fail at more than 3000 pounds, then results are not statistically significant and we cannot disprove our null. That is all there is to it.

Once again, you haven't forumlated a testable null hypothesis. What does "the cams fail at more than 3000 pounds" mean? By your own assumptions, you have two cams in hand that failed at less than 3000 lb.

In reply to:
If we change the assumptions about the data to: 2 cams failed at 1500 pounds and the other 8 failed at 3001 pounds, then the weight at which the cams are failing is going to be significantly less than 3000 pounds.

Again, what do you mean by "the weight at which the cams are failing?" You have in hand 2 cams that did fail at less than 3000 lb. Do you mean the mean weight? If so, that is not a hypothesis of interest. The rated strength is not supposed to be the mean failure force; it is supposed to be way below the mean failure force. That's what 3-sigma and 6-sigma ratings refer to.

In reply to:
Mgear has not said at what weight the Aliens failed, therefore, we do not know if they are failing at a strength that is significantly lower than their stated strength. Frankly, if they are failing at 10 pounds less than CCH says they will, I could give a rat's ass.

The only reason you are not concerned is that you don't understand that the rating is supposed to be something along the lines of an assured strength. The percentage of units that fail even 1 lb less than the rating should be miniscule. Furthermore, if out of sample of 9 units, 3 fail at 10 lb below their rated strength (per your hypothetical), then there will be some units that fail at a lot less than that, assuming some kind of reasonable distribution of the failure loads.

Jay

colkurtz

Jan 12, 2006, 3:50 AM
Post #82 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="josephgdawson"]
In reply to:

Mgear has not said at what weight the Aliens failed, therefore, we do not know if they are failing at a strength that is significantly lower than their stated strength. Frankly, if they are failing at 10 pounds less than CCH says they will, I could give a rat's ass. If they are failing at 1000 pounds, then I am going to return my Aliens to REI. Statistics aside, CCH is not handling this too well and I hope to see a recall.

CCH should look to Kryponite locks.

your point was that the sample size isnt big enough. you are wrong. there may be better methodology for testing cams and we may not know what the fail weights were.

it doesnt matter. three cams out of nine failed. i dont think you understand what is being interpreted. it is a large enough sample to say that the stated strength of these cams is incorrect.

anyhow, your failure to grasp the big picture and basic statistics is not needed when, people are already in psychological denial that there is a problem.

billl7

Jan 12, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #83 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The p-value for this test indicates that there is on the order of only 1 chance in 10 million that 33.3% (or more) of the 9 cams tested would have failed at less than there rated strength if the population of cams from which the sample were drawn had a failure percentage of 0.135%.

Is that better or worse?

Jay
I get the jist of that last part. Thanks.

I must confess I had a lot of energy for all of this when I felt like CCH wasn't stepping up to the plate - just look at my ramblings in the REI recall thread. But now that it seems they've made some semi-public steps in the right direction, I just hope they can get their act back together.

I liked Curt's "blind faith" post. Metolius also has a poster that shows increasing forces (fall lengths I think) along side the typical breaking points for various gear.

Climb smart!

Bill

healyje

Jan 12, 2006, 4:54 AM
Post #84 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off I'd like to thank Paul and MGear for posting up as you have.

After that I think these and any other test results to come will simply verify that it's high time Dave and CCH rethink some of the fundamentals of their business and take this opportunity to become a better company. Even without broad statistical details, it is not difficult to view this as an example of what happens when a small craft/artisan operation puts itself under the pressures of scaling up to meet the demands of a broader consumer marketplace without a willingness to change the company's culture and processes accordingly.

Manufacturing for a broader consumer market requires small companies to repeatedly step up to certain plates as they grow and all of climbing's primary industry players have had to do so over time. I believe Dave and CCH have tried a bit too hard to hold onto a culture and lifestyle that in the end isn't really compatible with the [production] demands placed upon them by large contracts such as the one from REI.

Again, I don't want to lose Dave, CCH, or Aliens so it is my fervent hope Dave steps up to this opportunity to overhaul CCH so they can survive the challenges ahead. He has no shortage of partners, peers, and friends in the industry that have repeatedly offered sound advice and a helping hand over the years and now might be a good time to take folks up on those offers. Especially welcome would be an thorough reworking of both customer service and communciation with the marketplace.

As for the specific concerns around sample size in the MGear tests, those were just some initial tests by a concerned retail partner. A real sampling, however, could easily be had if a significant percentage of the REI returns were independently tested. I do not know what the disposition of these returned units will ultimately be but they represent a great potential for a deeper understanding of both the depth and scope of the problems we've seen to-date (stem brazing, axle hole placement, and trigger sheaths). I would encourage CCH, its retail partners, and possibly industry peers to organize a formal, coordinated testing plan that includes how best to communicate the results to climbers in way that minimizes the type of rampant speculation common on venues such as online forums.

As I said before, kudos to Dave, CCH, and all the assisting industry partners/peers for taking the first productive steps on a road that will hopefully put this painful episode behind us so we can all just get back to feeling confident about leading out above our Aliens again.

sixleggedinsect

Jan 12, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #85 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do believe that it's extremely important to note that Paul did not state an exact number of failures, but was clear that 3 were failed brazes... According to CCH's own comments, the wires would fail first, which begs a question about the COMPLETE TEST RESULTS.

this is what got me a-thinking: cch's claim about likely failure mode vs. mgear testing's actual failure mode.

tgreene, waht are you saying in your last sentence? are you questioning mgear's testing procedure or pointing out that every failed braze puts another dent in the cch reputation?

like everyone else, id like to see the ratings at which these cams failed, statistical analysis aside. were they a few points off, or did they fail at unacceptably low loads?

tradklime

Jan 12, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #86 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For everyone hung up on statistical significance or what the actual test results were, try this hypothesis on for size: The cable will brake before the braze fails. This is what CCH purported.

The 33.3% failure rate of the braze would seem to indicate differently. It's a pass/ fail sort of thing.

Wishing this was all just a hoax.
-Tradklime

highangle

Jan 12, 2006, 7:54 AM
Post #87 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I am not a statistician (sp), but I am in a small business and a small business owner, and part of a family business.

My business is title INSURANCE. I can easily equate that to failure in a mechanical sense; meaning that complete failure of ownership is the worst thing that can possibly happen. An interesting thing has happened since my father discussed his business with me over the dinner table.... Used to be, everyone understood what the "worst case" was, and that was what my father was paid to do.

Today, nobody cares about the INSURANCE, what they care about is the ASSURANCE, ie-that when they buy a house, that they own it, without prob lems.

To me, that is similar to the PR problem that CCH has right now. The older generation of climbers knows that nothing is 100%. They rely on a system to protect them, and acknowledge that any system has its weaknesses (props to Dingus for reviving Chris from BD's thread). The max breaking strength could hold up a luxury liner, but it still was backed up if the context of the climb demanded it.

However, the newer climbers, who view placing gear, not as "trad," but closer to sport are relying upon the ASSURANCE aspect of the gear, the manufacturer, the retailer. If there had not been another solid piece of protection below the climber, crux or not, what would the result have been? How many of us have seen gear placed at bolt-spacing lengths, that could have resulted in a death-fall, as considered in this failure?

I find it admirable that CCH has cared so much about it's patent, it's design, it's culture. But violating the trust of customers, as exhibited in their response, is, at best, a major faux pas.

Dave could take considerable notes from Paul. Mountain Gear has made very sure that I was ASSURED as to their commitment to my well being. I shall continue to support mgear.com with a significant amount of my gear purchases. My Aliens shall remain on my rack until the dust settles......

scottquig

Jan 12, 2006, 8:41 AM
Post #88 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Frankly, if they are failing at 10 pounds less than CCH says they will, I could give a rat's ass.

You should give more than a rat's ass. When part of an object must stand up to a certain weight, a factor of safety is used. Take the simple example of a car's axle. The designer of the axle will calculate the maximum force possible on the axle--this force will likely be much higher than any loads actually encountered. It will take into account something along the lines of the fattest passengers possible, loaded fully with bricks, and doing some sort of landing from high up in the air. For a factor of safety of 2, this force is then multiplied by 2, and the axle must be built to withstand that much force. Most commercial mechanical structures are built to a factor of safety of 2-3. The purpose of the factor of safety is to account for the material behaving abnormally--which can happen occasionally. (Airplanes have a factor of safety just higher than 1, because the materials have been incredibly well-studied in an effort to reduce weight.) For something like a cam it's pretty safe to assume a factor of safety of 2 or higher. For a cam rated at 15 kN (similar to the aliens) with a factor of safety of 2, it should not fail at lower than 30 kn for the majority of the samples (99.9%). By this method of safety, the 1 cam in 1000 that fails below 30 kN will nearly always fail at a slightly lower force, much higher than the rated strength.

To have 1/3 of the cams fail below the rated strength, even if by only 10 lbs, is a huge cause for concern.

In reply to:
In reply to:
dingus-next time you're trying to make a point, clean up your quotes. It's very hard to follow.

When you're cutting the checks you get to say what's what. That's what both google and usenet look like. Deal with it.

DMT

...and to dingus, no I'm not writing the checks. But you are trying to convince me, the reader, of your opinion. You want me to view you as intelligent, informative, and correct. So really, it's almost the same thing. You made it complicated and confusing, so I stopped reading your post before I really knew what you were trying to say. I was just giving you a tip to make your post more persuasive. That is what you are trying to do, right? It seems that some others (who had already seen your letters or had the diligence to read the entire thing) really value your input on this topic. It'd do a better job if it was easy on the eyes. Just trying to help you out, man.

Partner cracklover

Jan 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #89 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Frankly, if they are failing at 10 pounds less than CCH says they will, I could give a rat's ass.

You should give more than a rat's ass. When part of an object must stand up to a certain weight, a factor of safety is used. Take the simple example of a car's axle. The designer of the axle will calculate the maximum force possible on the axle--this force will likely be much higher than any loads actually encountered. It will take into account something along the lines of the fattest passengers possible, loaded fully with bricks, and doing some sort of landing from high up in the air. For a factor of safety of 2, this force is then multiplied by 2, and the axle must be built to withstand that much force. Most commercial mechanical structures are built to a factor of safety of 2-3. The purpose of the factor of safety is to account for the material behaving abnormally--which can happen occasionally. (Airplanes have a factor of safety just higher than 1, because the materials have been incredibly well-studied in an effort to reduce weight.) For something like a cam it's pretty safe to assume a factor of safety of 2 or higher. For a cam rated at 15 kN (similar to the aliens) with a factor of safety of 2, it should not fail at lower than 30 kn for the majority of the samples (99.9%). By this method of safety, the 1 cam in 1000 that fails below 30 kN will nearly always fail at a slightly lower force, much higher than the rated strength.

Boy, you sure can pull a lot out of your ass. That's complete nonsense.

In reply to:
To have 1/3 of the cams fail below the rated strength, even if by only 10 lbs, is a huge cause for concern.

Yup, but not for the reasons above.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
dingus-next time you're trying to make a point, clean up your quotes. It's very hard to follow.

When you're cutting the checks you get to say what's what. That's what both google and usenet look like. Deal with it.

DMT

...and to dingus, no I'm not writing the checks. But you are trying to convince me, the reader, of your opinion. You want me to view you as intelligent, informative, and correct. So really, it's almost the same thing. You made it complicated and confusing, so I stopped reading your post before I really knew what you were trying to say. I was just giving you a tip to make your post more persuasive. That is what you are trying to do, right? It seems that some others (who had already seen your letters or had the diligence to read the entire thing) really value your input on this topic. It'd do a better job if it was easy on the eyes. Just trying to help you out, man.

Readers who aren't willing to put in a little effort simply cannot be reached, if you have something *interesting* to say - something that is in any way divergent from the norm. As a writer, you're best ignoring those folks. Seems like everything worked out just right.

And yes ">" notation for quotes is pretty standard, and in some cases, easier to follow.

GO

swede

Jan 12, 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #90 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Cool down! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a lot of speculation in this thread and very very few facts.

Normally, in a companys plan for crisis, you minimise the risk for misleading information by chanelling the responsibility for all external information to a group or one single person. That group/person makes a press statement based on facts and makes sure not to speculate. You do NOT make any statement on a site like this there everyone and everybody can comment and speculate.

Living on another continent I have absolutely no knowledge about Mgear and Paul. Like another writer already has commented, we do not even know for sure that this post is from Mgear! Several has also mentioned that test methods (even at independent institutes) can mess things up severely - that´s why a press statement almost always say that a thourogh investigation is needed.

It might very well be Mgear, since they are in fact saying that CCH is taking this diligently. So there is no absolutely need to flame CCH yet. If I were CCH I would however be asking quite angry question why they were not invited to a joint statement.

Wait for facts - preferably published somethere where the source has been checked. Until when - don´t speculate, so that those who really want facts don´t have to dig through pages of posts from people who don´t know about the case.

Please note that I have only had time to read side 1,2 and 6, so there might be important info that I am missing.

reg

Jan 12, 2006, 1:06 PM
Post #91 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j-ung wrote: "Aaaaannnnd... kudos to CCH for taking what is, I'm sure, a very painful but necessary step. "
ok - albeit KICKING AND SCREAMING!
WTF is the problem at CCH that they couldn't take responsibility own their own?

dynosore wrote:" Thanks to MGear for stepping up and doing what CCH won't."

well MG deserves some credit and maybe some customers /sales profit from this effort. they are a big co. and can afford to cover their backsides from lawsuits (that is really why they are doing this - they wouldn't do it JUST BECAUSE they are worried about you commin off some deaert crack!). after all - they are a business and the first thing on their priority list is $$$$$. certainly they saw an opportunity here.

i've read a lot of negative, silly, insulting, stupid, down right "stand with fists" shit on this site but stuff like this makes suffering through that worthwhile - some real action that benefits us! and keeps "them" in line.

my $0.02

healyje

Jan 12, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #92 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cool down! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Actually, at this point we have quite a few facts in hand.

In reply to:
Normally, in a companys plan for crisis, you minimise the risk for misleading information by chanelling the responsibility for all external information to a group or one single person. That group/person makes a press statement based on facts and makes sure not to speculate. You do NOT make any statement on a site like this there everyone and everybody can comment and speculate.

That would be the case in most mid and large manufacturing companies operating as a typical corporation. But, part of the problem in this case is that CCH is organized more as a "shop" than a corporation.

In reply to:
Living on another continent I have absolutely no knowledge about Mgear and Paul. Like another writer already has commented, we do not even know for sure that this post is from Mgear! Several has also mentioned that test methods (even at independent institutes) can mess things up severely - that´s why a press statement almost always say that a thourogh investigation is needed.

It might very well be Mgear, since they are in fact saying that CCH is taking this diligently. So there is no absolutely need to flame CCH yet. If I were CCH I would however be asking quite angry question why they were not invited to a joint statement.

Wait for facts - preferably published somethere where the source has been checked. Until when - don´t speculate, so that those who really want facts don´t have to dig through pages of posts from people who don´t know about the case.

Please note that I have only had time to read side 1,2 and 6, so there might be important info that I am missing.

Well, it is clear you haven't been following or reading these threads or you wouldn't make the majority of the statements above. Paul and MGear are in fact Paul and MGear and not part of a global conspiracy against CCH. Is there a lot of chaff in all these CCH threads? Sure, but the substance of the matter is also here for folks that have been following it all along or that invest the time to read through the associated threads. So I would encourage you and others who have just dropped by and skimmed the thread to please refrain from posting until and unless you have actually read it all...

patto

Jan 12, 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #93 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to join this thread to comment about people saying that the result is not statistically significant, however I don't need to as Jay (jt512) has already said it all. This man knows his first year stats well, everything jt512 has written is gold.

The others trying to argue don't know their stats.

fo_d

Jan 12, 2006, 1:46 PM
Post #94 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kudos to Paul and Mountain Gear. It's reassuring that the retailer is looking out after their customers.

Ditto

swede

Jan 12, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #95 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

So I would encourage you and others who have just dropped by and skimmed the thread to please refrain from posting until and unless you have actually read it all...

Ok, when I read page 3, 4 and 5 also and see if we have more info from Mgear or CCH.

scottquig

Jan 12, 2006, 2:32 PM
Post #96 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Boy, you sure can pull a lot out of your ass. That's complete nonsense.

Nope, sorry. It's true. Just do a google search and you'll see:

http://www.accidents-inspections.com/...factor_of_safety.htm

http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/...stic%20materials.htm

If you want to convince people I'm wrong, you should at least attempt a counter-argument. What, oh wise one, has your vast and knowledgable education taught you about this subject?

In reply to:
Readers who aren't willing to put in a little effort simply cannot be reached, if you have something *interesting* to say - something that is in any way divergent from the norm. As a writer, you're best ignoring those folks. Seems like everything worked out just right.
So what you're saying is that even published books should be allowed this level of discontinuity and that a reader who wants to see clean persuasive writing is unreachable. Bullsh-t. If I lecture for a group of people and I speak a language that only 10% of the audience understands, I would fail miserably. This is somewhat like what Dingus has done. It would be stupid to call yourself *interesting* and to call the audience unreachable.

crotch

Jan 12, 2006, 2:44 PM
Post #97 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You should give more than a rat's ass. When part of an object must stand up to a certain weight, a factor of safety is used.

For something like a cam it's pretty safe to assume a factor of safety of 2 or higher

There is no safety factor built in to the rating of climbing gear.

swede

Jan 12, 2006, 2:45 PM
Post #98 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well, now I have read all in THIS post and there are still very, very, very few facts. Assuming that the quotation from CCH is correct, I would say that the talk about "staged hoax" sure isn´t something I would use in a situation like this. If Mgear has seen that response, doing their own test would be a resonable response. On the other hand, working as a quality manager, I would never ever take either a customers or another companys word as Gods own words. I have lost count on have many times people/companies either tried to pull my leg or tests cannot be repeated.

I do not at all say that the test are insignificant (or bogus for that matter). Just read Mgears post one more time:

"Please realize that Mountain Gear’s tests results are not “official,” they were not independent, nor did they represent a random sampling of all Aliens. .... Since we reported these findings to Dave at CCH, he has been working diligently to identify the source and scope of the problem. I expect that we will see information from him soon. According to Dave, CCH is also reporting the issue to the CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission), and will work in concert with them to remove the potentially affected Aliens from the Market. You will have to rely on this process to get the final results of the investigation of these products."

If you trust Paul - just do what he writes: rely on due process to get the final results. And of course - put your Aliens into the locker until facts are on the table.

healyje

Jan 12, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #99 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, now I have read all in THIS post and there are still very, very, very few facts.

Swede -

As I said in the pm I sent, there is quite a bit of chaff in all these threads on CCH, but the facts are there as well but, unfortunately, you really should read through it all before coming to such conclusions...

CCH aliens are dangerous!
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...&topic_view=&start=0

Orange Alien CCH
http://rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=104150

CCH responds
http://rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=81098

CCH response to alleged defect
http://rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=104279

REI recall Orange Alien
http://rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=104434

CCH Alien reality check
http://rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=104756

rei/mgear no longer selling aliens?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...&topic_view=&start=0

Partner booger

Jan 12, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #100 of 240 (47521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My heart is breaking... I just ordered an entire rack of these bad-boys... that's right - over USD $500 to be delivered in March. I sure hope you guys get it all figured out before then!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook