Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Looking for a lightweight, breathable shell.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

thetroutscout

Jan 16, 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #1 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a lightweight, breathable shell.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking at getting a Marmot precip. I want lightweight as possible but still breathable, with a hood and packs nice and small. Warmth isn't an issue. It was just be layered. Anyone know a good deal on one or even were I could pick up last years precip. I remember them being around $65 and now they are around $99. I'd want one with zip pits too. I open for other options too. And yes, I'm watching on eBay as well. Thanks

^^ike

bigdrop

Jan 16, 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #2 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking for a lightweight, breathable shell. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a marmot Precip Plus shell. My friend picked up a Precip at the same time, and I have to say; if you can afford the upgrade go with the “plus”, it is a much more flexible and stretchy textile. I have been 100% satisfied with my Marmot shell. As for prices, I struck a deal with my local gear shop. Return business, and shop loyalty is rewarded with a killer deal now and then. I have a marmot Precip Plus shell. My friend picked up a Precip at the same time, and I have to say; if you can afford the upgrade go with the “plus”, it is a much more flexible and stretchy textile. I have been 100% satisfied with my Marmot shell. As for prices, I struck a deal with my local gear shop. Return business, and shop loyalty is rewarded with a killer deal now and then.

hammerhead

Jan 16, 2006, 2:42 PM
Post #3 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Campmor.com. I just got the Oracle jacket, it was around $80.00.

Al

hammerhead

Jan 16, 2006, 2:45 PM
Post #4 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Campmor.com. I just got the Oracle jacket, it was around $80.00.

Al

dynoclimber

Jan 16, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #5 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a MH Epic jacket, I like it a lot. I would reccomend it. It might be on sale right now. (I got it on sale a couple months ago)

eviljay

Jan 16, 2006, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Marmot Essence jacket. Made of precip plus and only 7oz for a Mens size medium.

moeman

Jan 16, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patagonia makes a nice lightwieght shell too- the Specter. Its quite a bit more pricey than the Marmot, so I'd go with that unless you can find a good sale on the patagonia shell.

omerdimsum

Jan 16, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #8 of 8 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want a technical / lightweight / breathable / packable / comfortable / affordable shell that does everything at the best price and with the least weight, you might look at the Mountain Hardware Epic jacket.

After a lot of research, I'm now on my second MH Epic jacket. I would still have the first one, however I mistakenly dropped it down 300 metres of steep snow at The Third Pillar of Dana's base (whomever finds it can have it!).

Although I have rock climbed, alpine climbed, ice climbed and snow boarded in this jacket, the caveats are that it is neither the longest nor thickest/warmest jacket (thus you should layer), plus there is no powder skirt for skiing / snowboarding. Depends what your needs are; for hiking / climbing / alpine / backpacking functions, it's ideal and affordable.

Due to this jacket's cut, it can be worn with just a t-shirt while climbing/hiking, or worn over (or under) your belay jacket while stuck belaying in less than ideal conditions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook