RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tallpaul

Jan 20, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Ft. Collins CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just found out that I was accepted to schools in Pullman, WA and Ft. Collins, CO. I already know that there is nothing to do in Pullman, WA, so I am going to be visiting Ft. Collins to check out the school and the surrounding area, probably sometime in March. Does anybody have any information or suggestions on where on-line I could find out about local bouldering/climbing? I'm looking for directions, or whatever you can offer on what there is to do out there.

P.S.
any info on cool hikes in the area that are do-able in very early spring would also be great.

tallpaul

Jan 20, 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #2 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Ft. Collins, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just found out that I was accepted to schools in Pullman, WA and Ft. Collins, CO. I already know that there is nothing to do in Pullman, WA, so I am going to be visiting Ft. Collins to check out the school and the surrounding area, probably sometime in March. Does anybody have any information or suggestions on where on-line I could find out about local bouldering/climbing? I'm looking for directions, or whatever you can offer on what there is to do out there.

P.S.
any info on cool hikes in the area that are do-able in very early spring would also be great.

paganmonkeyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #3 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ft. Collins, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

talk to the people at the Mountain Shop - they are a good bunch...

632 S Mason
Fort Collins
(970) 493-5720

Mason is the street just north of campus and west of College (the main street) that has the train tracks running down the middle of it...they should be able to get you to some good hiking as well.

(Ft Collins rocks for a college town, imho...just not worth it once you are out is all...)

Partner phaedrus

Jan 20, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #4 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

ryko

Jan 20, 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #5 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingboulder.com is a good place to visit. When I think of Ft Collins, I think of Horsetooth Reservoir and its bouldering. Since you're going to be visiting, all you need is your shoes and chalk bag. There is some cragging west of the town but I cannot verify the quality of it. Also the drive from Collins to RMNP's more obscure spots is shorter.

Having lived in Seattle before and now in Denver, you will be much, much happier in Ft Collins. However in Pullman you probably would be more apt to study, that or drink, since there is nothing to do out there!!

Partner robdotcalm

Jan 21, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #6 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is some cragging west of the town but I cannot verify the quality of it. Also the drive from Collins to RMNP's more obscure spots is

Within 75 minutes of the Fort are Eldorado Canyon, Boulder Canyon, Lumpy Rdige, Poudre Canyon, and Vedauwoo. A google search might allow you to verify their quality.

Cheers,

Rob.calm

mistajman

Jan 21, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #7 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ft. Collins CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to school in Moscow, Idaho right now (which is 8 miles from pullman). And I grew up in Laramie, Wyoming (an hour from fort collins). If you want to climb go to CSU. I was spoiled by all the good climbing opportunities of that area. Vedauwoo is close, poudre canyon, horsetooth reservoir...and sooooo many more. The opportunities are pretty much unlimited for the outdoors. On the other hand up in Washington I have to drive 30 minutes for a small crag, an hour and a half for a decent crag, and 3-4 hours for a good one. Compared to half an hour every way for great ones in Colorado.

mistajman

Jan 21, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #8 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah check out www.vedauwoo.org

ajaxjv

Jan 21, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #9 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with both mistajman and ryko to check out vedauwoo.org and climbingboulder.com for some beta. Here are some areas to check out close to the Fort. Horsetooth is five minutes from campus and has world class bouldering and some short top roping and trad. Cater lake is 30 minutes south and also has some awesome bouldering. Grey rock is 30 minutes and has some awesome multipitch stuff and is also a cool hike but don't count on it being snow free in march. As was already said: Vedauwoo, lumpy ridge, and boulder are all near an hour away. All these crags are on climbingboulder.com. Here is to hoping you chose CSU. It is a great school in a great town.

breaksnclimbs

Jan 21, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #10 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I third the noton to check ClimbingBoulder.com howerver, it is now http://www.mountainproject.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook