RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

baldy

Aug 14, 2002, 11:39 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

How not to drop stuff
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Folks,
I want to put tie in loops on my lenses to help stop me dropping them and was wondering what other people do? At the moment I figure duct tape and accessory cord.

I'm going big walling for the first time this september and plan to take my Nikon SLR and 3 lens (will have to see how the haul bag packs out tho!). Figure I'll be up there for awhile and we're climbing as a three so will have lots of time for photos (and rigging).
The tie-in loops aren't an issue where I usually climb as they're only short routes and can keep organised, but I don't fancy dropping a lens 2000ft!

peanutbutterandjelly

Aug 15, 2002, 1:48 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

How not to drop stuff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on the lenses you bring (size, texture) you could girth hitch the lense, then use duck tape to secure the girths. Can not think of much else other then duck taping the lenses themselves.
PBJ

beyond_gravity

Aug 15, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done some "Rap photography" and I was just extra careful. When changing lenses I had the body right down inside the bag so even if I did drop it it would get caught. I wouldn't duct tape my lenses...would make them all sticky and nasty....but better then dropping it

farmerc

Aug 15, 2002, 2:01 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Consider less lenses. maybe just a 45mm and and some filters. That might be a way to cut down. but, if youhave your heart set on all three then take em be sure to post the cool pics that you take

krustyklimber

Aug 15, 2002, 2:02 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to a dive shop and have them make you a sleeve for each lens out of, 5mm or so thick, neoprene. Take about 10-15 mm off of the circumference of the lens, and just as long as the "focus tube" with a loop of webbing sewn onto it. Then when you go to change lenses you'll have a way to hold onto them without having to slobber duct tape goo all over them. And the foam will make a nice grip on the camera, with which to focus.

Maybe that will help you keep your investment safe and sound!

Good luck!

Jeff

apollodorus

Aug 15, 2002, 2:18 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Duct tape around the barrel of the lens after you tie the 3mm cord around it. Leave the 3mm pretty long, so you can turn the lens to focus it, zoom, whatever. Also, tape some 3mm to the lens cap. Tape the lens right before you go up, and then take it off immediately after you get down. If you let duct-tape sit there for more than a few days, the glue will dry out and become almost impossible to remove later. Fold 1/2" of the tape back on itself after wrapping, so you can grab the little tail and unwrap it.

And even if it's clipped in, don't leave your camera sitting on a portaledge when you aren't on it. The wind can kick up suddenly on a wall, tossing whatever's on it around. Put the camera into the mouth of the pig, preferably in a padded case.

jasona

Sep 18, 2002, 7:40 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use gaffer tape instead of duct tape. won't leave the residue.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook