Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

salamanizer

Jan 24, 2006, 6:32 AM
Post #26 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ideas for improving footwork? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some good advice is found in these replies. A lot of these things are things that I have worked on or done that I hadn't even realized I was doing. Concentration, balance and fluid movement are things that should always be in the back of your mind. Now the trick is to go out, apply and practice these things suggested to you. Practice will get you further than theory any day. It is the key to better technique.

punk_rocker333

Jan 24, 2006, 6:43 AM
Post #27 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Take up ballroom dancing.

Trust me, this doesn't work. Ballroom dancing last semester didn't do much except improve my posture... oh yeah, the ladies love it too :wink:

curt

Jan 24, 2006, 7:21 AM
Post #28 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been climbing off and on for a year and a half now and still find that I tend to pull myself up bc I'm not trusting my feet or footholds. Any ideas on how to get over this fear and/or improve footwork?

any suggestions are much appreciated!

thanks! :D

Watch me climb and do what I do. :D

Curt

katalyzt

Jan 25, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #29 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just learned a game at the gym yesterday that helps with footwork.

They called it "silent feet". You can play by yourself or with other people. It's just like what the name says... You start a traverse... You keep going as far as you can... The catch is that if you (or anybody else who is playing) hears you put your feet on a hold then you have to start over (or it's somebody elses turn). Speed is not an object. Just try to get as far as you can without making a sound.

This will help you in putting your foot in the right spot the first time and not rub around looking for it.

wallmonkey35

Jan 26, 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #30 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure your feet are quiet. This requires slow and delibrate movements. Another drill is to buy a pack of jibs. Put these on a plywood board and lean the board at a 45 + degree angle and traverse it not using hands.

Partner handtraverse

Jan 26, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #31 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryko said
In reply to:
Slabs, slabs, slabs and more slabs. I like the tennis ball idea. did I mention slabs?

I couldn't agree more. I can tell you that learning to slab forces you to learn how to use your feet. What I mean is, you really get to know the feel of the rock and the capabilities of your rock shoes. You learn through slabbing just how effectively your shoes will "stick" to the rock. I think learning to slab is ultra important because on the harder climbs, you will run into less foot and hand holds and friction becomes your friend - or - your foe!

Someone in a previous discussion on slabbing said "slabbing is the ballet of rock climbing".

There's more about slabbing here

Handtraverse 8^)

jt512

Jan 26, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #32 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ryko said
In reply to:
Slabs, slabs, slabs and more slabs. I like the tennis ball idea. did I mention slabs?

I couldn't agree more. I can tell you that learning to slab forces you to learn how to use your feet. What I mean is, you really get to know the feel of the rock and the capabilities of your rock shoes. You learn through slabbing just how effectively your shoes will "stick" to the rock. I think learning to slab is ultra important because on the harder climbs, you will run into less foot and hand holds and friction becomes your friend - or - your foe!

Someone in a previous discussion on slabbing said "slabbing is the ballet of rock climbing".

There's more about slabbing here

Slab is not a verb.

Jay

pico23

Jan 26, 2006, 4:12 AM
Post #33 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slabs and lower angle rock. Also, the gym tends to foster bad habbits. Try traverseing instead of climbing.

If you climb enough slabs you'll have no choice but to trust your feet or fall (not fun on slabs). IF you climb overhanging stuff and you're strong you can get by with weak footwork on shorter routes.

Whatever you are climbing now with poor footwork you'll be cruising 2 grades higher once you trust the feet.

Also, climb stuff below your ability and test how little you can get away with on the feet. It kinda becomes addictive seeing just how small of a hold you can stick to.

A lot of cruxes can be easily beaten with the use of intermediate foot holds that you won't dream of touching till you trust your footwork.

cheyennewills

Jan 26, 2006, 4:25 AM
Post #34 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As others have been saying, be very deliberate with your feet.

There are some things that you can do outside of climbing that might help.

When hiking into a bouldering area, play a little game -- You have to stay on rock, and are not allowed to step on dirt. Yes -- it's a silly game, but it makes you pay attention to what you are doing with your feet. If you come across a section that is just pure dirt, find a stone or small rock, toss it into the area and use that to hop across, etc.

Talus running (do a search on Doug Robinson)

Slackline, and slack chain/cable.

Jump up onto firehydrants and similar height posts (like the posts that hold up chains in a parking lot). Try to "stick" the jump.

Walk along a curb, but use only certain parts of your feet (just your toes, or just the "left sides" of your feet, etc.)

Again the whole idea is to think of things to do that will require you to be aware of your feet, and how your body balances on them

tnmountainman

Jan 26, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #35 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great articles overlord

Thanks for the info, footwork is one of my problem areas, so is strength, balance, I just really suck at climbing, any part you care to mention. :lol:

katalyzt

Jan 26, 2006, 3:09 PM
Post #36 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^HAHA I'm right there with you. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Partner handtraverse

Jan 27, 2006, 3:42 AM
Post #37 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
Slab is not a verb.

Jay

Oh yeah...right...SLAB CLIMBING SLAB CLIMBING! :wink:

Handtraverse

jt512

Jan 27, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #38 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
Slab is not a verb.

Jay

Thanks for correcting me, Jay. But this isn't english class. This is a rock climbing question and answer forum. :wink:

"Slab," used as a verb, is not part of the climbing lexicon.

Better?

Jay

p0bray01

Jan 27, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #39 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont reccomend this but injure your ring finger tendon like I did....had to buddy tape and still do every now and again... the sucker still hurts sometimes! This has taught me to use my feet extensivly....to the point that now i hardly grip the face holds at all...mainly because when I injured myself a while back and still climbed...(IDIOT) I had to use my feet or my hands would scream at me. :?

:roll:

Climb on bro.

rock_junkie

Jan 27, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #40 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont know if ayone mentioned this one...quit being a puss and come on!!!

Partner grovehunter

Jan 27, 2006, 8:25 AM
Post #41 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the same problem. I have been practicing traversing, watching where I place my feet and placing them quietly. It was working pretty good till I had a slip and fall accident at work, still kind of racked up.... :roll:
Oh, and someone recommended that I commit to where I place my feet once I decide where I am going to place them.
Hope this helps!
Peace,
Chuck

charlet_poser

Jan 27, 2006, 9:19 AM
Post #42 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried an intersting exercise at the gym yesterday. I chose easy problems/routes (Vb-1/5.5-8ish), then climb using only your right foot on holds. the left has to smear or flag. get back to the ground, then do the same route again using only the left foot on holds while the right must flag/smear. I don't promise any results/improvements, but it did make me think more about my body position and foot placements. i did the problems significantly different each time and used body positions i never would have if i had just climbed it. it didn't feel harder climbing easy routes this way, it simply required creativity with footwork.

goob3r

Jan 27, 2006, 9:40 AM
Post #43 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the kind of shoes you're wearing can help.. i'm currently climbing with mocassims.. which suck for toeing but are great for pulling... just find a shoe that you think holds on the toe best...

but also.. if you're having trouble with your footwork.. that's just your problem.. do something about it.. like, just use your feet more.. it doesn't matter what you do.. climb normally.. just have a friend there telling you to use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. use your feet more.. until you finally use your feet more.

it's quite simple.

joshy8200

Jan 28, 2006, 6:25 AM
Post #44 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb in regular shoes and actually force yourself to make your feet stay on the holds.

angiebangie

Jan 30, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #45 of 45 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions/advice. I will def be trying some of them out. Also, now that I think about it the gym I go to is usually pretty loud what with the crowds and music being played in the background that I never noticed what sounds my feet were making...

I shall try and notice... and pay more attention to feet placement and just go for it!

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

:D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook