Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Paradise on the Brazos Routes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

starry

Jan 9, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Paradise on the Brazos Routes  (North_America: United_States: Texas: North_Central_Texas: Paradise_on_the_Brazos)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just was wondering how the bolted routes were out there. All the stuff I find on them is from like three years ago and i just was wondering if anyone had been out there recently. Are there all levels? I climb 5'8s and 5'9s mainly. Also, is there still alot of lose rocks out there and are the bolts kept up fairly well? Thanks for the information!

bigdski

Jan 9, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Re: Paradise on the Brazos Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it's been a over a year since I was there, but I know there are plenty of routes out there in the 5.8, 5.9 range. I'm sure there is less chossy stuff now than there was three years ago (they would have to be), but I'm also sure the place isn't free of loose rock. I say go, have a nice time, and be safe.

jdginn27

Jan 26, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go out to Paradise fairly frequently. The routes range from 5.6 to 5.11 roughly. One of the harder routes can be viewed on the pics page from last weekend (backside overhang). The bolts are maintained every tuesday. I have only come across one loose one. So head out there man, you'll probably see me.

Peace,

jdginn

climbingaggie03

Jan 26, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at POB in december, the routes are pretty well cleaned, but you will come across some loose stuff every now and then. There are plenty of 8's and 9's out there to keep you interested, there's some fun dihedrals as well. I haven't seen any bolts that I didn't trust, some look better than others, but all of them are good enough.

ps BigdSki, long time no see drop me a PM sometime and let me know what you are up to.

Partner hosh

Jan 26, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first time I ever climbed lead was at Paradise. Super fun area! I don't have any real current info, last time I was out there was at least 3 years ago. But I say you should go and have a great time, just bring lots of water, it was over 100 degrees when I was there (in the summer...) You should give "river chimps" a try, it's a super fun overhanging route, i think rated 5.10?

hosh.

edited to add this, just in case you haven't seen it yet...

onsight_endorphines

Jan 26, 2006, 5:58 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

POB is a cool place. Lots of dark limestone. A little chossy back when I was there a couple of years ago, but the overall quality is good.

Excellent routes that I can remember:

Columbia (named after Space Shuttle Columbia...I believe that the first ascentionist looked up and saw pieces of the Shuttle as he was bolting the route.) 5.11c I think? or .12a?

Action Arete 5.11c

PeeWee

Sorry I don't remember any of the easier stuff. But it's definately there.

One thing though...I remember the routes being difficult for the grade.....it might have just been me, but a couple of other people experienced the same thing.

crazywacky

Jan 26, 2006, 7:32 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

POB is a fun place to go if you are still learning to lead or need a quick fix and can't get out to E-Rock or the Witchitas.
Lots of routes, tons of solid anchors, and about the easiest access you could hope for.

It's also a good place to bring the puppies as long as they don't chase the cattle, and especially if they like swimming. My lab/chow mix can't stay out of the river when she goes.

Tthere are still some not-so climbed areas that have some lose rock.
Especially at the base of the cliff. Most of the higher traffic areas are pretty cleaned up.

The routes are solid for the area. If you've climbed E-Rock, The Witchitas, or J-Tree then you should be comfortable with the grades if that's your biggest factor in selecting what you climb.

Good luck,

Scott

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook