Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Designing a Rock Climbing Club - Need any Suggestion,idea..
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

checkers

Jan 27, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Designing a Rock Climbing Club - Need any Suggestion,idea..
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hai..
First of all,i like to introduce myself..U can call me Checkers
I'm a student from School of Architecture, University of Technology,Malaysia.Actually,i'm doin my final year Thesis Studies on designing a Rock Climbing Club on Limestone Cliff(an experimental design thesis which is trying to attach the building on a cliff side)

I really need help from all the expertise here,as i need an info about what is the requirements that u climbers need if i'm goin to design this Rock Climbing Club..interm of spaces needs,facilities and so on..

Maybe all of u also can give any suggestion or idea about the probable design of my building and how its look like on the cliff that could be relate with Rock Climbing Requirements and anything about limestone too..

TQ

areuinclimber

Jan 27, 2006, 5:33 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Re: Designing a Rock Climbing Club - Need any Suggestion,ide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/.../cave/005731079t.jpg

steamboatclimber

Jan 27, 2006, 5:44 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The program for a rock gym is similar to what you would find in any other gym. The only difference is that there is a rock climbing area instead of weight machines and treadmills.
It's kind of funny that you are doing this project, as I did a project just like it while I was in Architecture school. That was several years ago now and I had only climbed a handful of times before I undertook the project. With much more climbing and architecture experience under my belt now I would have done many things different. I thought a real rock would be cool to enclose in a building also, but even gyms that have realistic rock texture walls need to have places to mount artificial holds, otherwise the routes get old fast. The ability to change to the clients needs, like setting a bunch of easy routes for birthday parties, is important. But you also need to be able to have hard enough routes to keep the regular gym customers happy. Unless you are enclosing 10's of thousands of of square feet of rock, I doubt there would be enough routes to keep everyone happy.
Maybe having the building near the cliff and using it to gather cues as to the form of the building. The cliff could play into the entry sequence, but would stay outside the building. There could be large plate glass windows facing the cliff to " bring the outside in". There could possibly be routes on the rock outdoors also so that people could climb there too, but have an indoor facility with an artificial wall too.
I don't meat to Pooh Pooh on your idea of bringing the real rock inside the building, but it might not be the best idea. If you want to discuss any of the idea's I mentioned in more detail fell free to PM me.

checkers

Jan 27, 2006, 8:45 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

emm..thanks for the response given from u Mr steamboat..wow,what's the co-incident knowing someone that doin somthing similar with me as u r the architecture student in the past day..forsure u r an architect now,rite.. :)

regarding to my idea for the thesis design,above all, i'm trying to explore the vertical kind of land type,since we never make any development on this kind of land surface..so,what i'm doin is,i scope down my studies only on designing the architecture that attached to the cliffside..no carven inside the cliff..and i choose limestone hills since limestone is beautiful and are the major hills populated in Malaysia..
so that the bulding will end up like parasite architecture..

but,as my school approach is idea+practicality,i choose the rock climbing club+tourism base activities to deliver the idea..for the time being,what in my mind is, im looking on how to create the building attach to the cliff side propotionally and architecturally look great and at the same time fulfill the climbing club requirements and its facilities needed..i also considering to blend the building with other tourism activities..

the hardest part of the task that im thinking is, how could i design the building in vertical way,since there's never development or ideas that had been done b4?(lift core,services,climbing wall,lightweight structure,and lots more i have to consider on designing an architecture on cliff side)

maybe,could u share with me ya past projects that had been done related to this topic or u can detail up the fews ideas u just told me b4..or is there's any project in real world that had been done similar with this topic(as far as i search and surf,there's a very little development on cliffside for example the pathway on cliffside at Spain)

Partner tisar

Jan 27, 2006, 9:00 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a brain fart:

Design- and climbing-wise it could be a gas to cover up the cliff with plexy glass. One could change holds etc. but the looks would be of the natural rock. (In my mind this looks veeeeery cool, I bet your teachers will love it!)

- Daniel

arrowhead

Jan 27, 2006, 9:00 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hhahahaha who would've thought of that!

Partner gamehendge

Jan 27, 2006, 9:21 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe this gym was built in a quarry hanving both artificial and real routes. It's also the world's largest climbing gym.

http://www.adventurescotland.com/category_home/climb2.html

goob3r

Jan 27, 2006, 9:34 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.eapusa.com

steamboatclimber

Jan 27, 2006, 5:58 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
emm..thanks for the response given from u Mr steamboat..wow,what's the co-incident knowing someone that doin somthing similar with me as u r the architecture student in the past day..forsure u r an architect now,rite..

Go ahead and doubt my qualifications. I am an Architect. The fact that you refuse input tells me how far you will go in this profession. You never said you were trying to explore building on the vertical plane instead of the horizontal plane. You asked about the feasibility of a design incorporating a cliff into a rock gym. The cliff in a rock gym idea sucks. The building on the vertical plane thing has been done several times before. You might want to do some research before you claim that it is some new idea that you thought up for your thesis. "Parasite" by Philippe Barriar is one, a project designed to hang off the sided of buildings in Chicago to use the Vertical real estate that we are creating all the time. Shangaru Ban also did a project several years back that I am sure you will never find, it was based in Tokyo. In my measly 10 min. of looking I have found at least 10 examples of building in the vertical realm vs. the horizontal realm. Ever heard of a porta ledge???
Research for Architecture projects is better done in the Library, not an Internet forum. If you really want to know what climbers think about putting their cliffs inside why don't you go find one since you obviously know nothing about the community you are attempting to design for. One rock climber in person will giver you more useful input than everyone on this forum.
By the way, I never said I was doing this project right now, it was more like 8 or 9 years ago.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook