Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

schveety

Jan 27, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Fatality in Eldorado Canyon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Report in the DailyCamera out of Boulder today stated that a 25 year old man was killed after falling 20 feet from a rappel off the Rincon route in Eldorado Canyon on I believe Thursday, Jan 26th at 6:15 pm. His friend reportedly ran for help, but the man died during evacuation. He reportedly landed on his head and was not wearing a helmet. Details are still pending on what happened.

Condolences to the family and friends of this young man, I have climbed in this area often and everytime I am there from now on, I will send a little prayer.

Schveety

majid_sabet

Jan 27, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #2 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fatality in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/6490917/detail.html

Boulder Man Was Not Wearing A Helmet

POSTED: 4:59 am MST January 27, 2006

ELDORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A 25-year-old Boulder, Colo., climber died in a fall at Eldorado Canyon State Park Thursday evening.

The man had just finished the "Rincon Route" at about 6:15 and was rappelling down a cliff when he fell about 20 feet and landed on his head.

His climbing partner ran to the state park ranger’s office and reported the accident. Firefighters from the Cherryvale Fire Protection District, and rescuers from the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group responded to the accident scene.

Rescuers said he was not wearing a climbing helmet.

The man was pronounced dead as he was being evacuated from the canyon.

Eldorado Canyon is a popular climbing destination southwest of Boulder.

alpinismo_flujo

Jan 27, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #3 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sadly - my condolences to his friends and family.

Seems to be a rash of fatalities posted on RC.com this week.
Can you post more details if you come across them?

Thanks

veganboyjosh

Jan 27, 2006, 6:47 PM
Post #4 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man. my condolences to family and friends.

scrappydoo

Jan 27, 2006, 7:07 PM
Post #5 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The victim landed on his back, suffering severe internal injuries as well as significant trauma to the back of his head.

The two were very cold by the time they repelled (getting late) and were probably slightly hypothermic-- fuzzy thinking might have been a contributing factor.

The climb's not over 'til you touch the ground, knot the ends of your ropes everyone, please

Partner cindylou

Jan 27, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #6 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very sad news. Heartfelt condolences to friends and family.

I was in Eldo on Wednesday and once the sun went down, it got very cold, very quickly.

moose_droppings

Jan 27, 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #7 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always saddening.
Might heart and prayers go out to the family and friends.

sonso45

Jan 27, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #8 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to his family. I have become more careful since I have learned about all the people who have had such accidents. I use an autoblock when I am rapping in the dark or I am in unknown territory. Sad to hear. M

blitzkrieg_climber13

Jan 27, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #9 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"it is not tragic to die doing something you love." condolences.

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #10 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The victim landed on his back, suffering severe internal injuries as well as significant trauma to the back of his head.

The two were very cold by the time they repelled (getting late) and were probably slightly hypothermic-- fuzzy thinking might have been a contributing factor.

The climb's not over 'til you touch the ground, knot the ends of your ropes everyone, please

=======

Similar to accident on Zodiac Wall (Yosemite few years ago)
solo experienced climber was rappelling from a 4th pitch in winter ,short 20 feet or so from the base, he was hypothermic and jumped but his hammer with a sling got stuck on to his aiders which was rigged at the end of the rope , he was found upside down 15 feet from the El Cap base, frozen.

mother_sheep

Jan 28, 2006, 2:59 PM
Post #11 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climber was almost down
By Vanessa Miller, Camera Staff Writer
January 28, 2006

The setting sun and dropping temperatures prompted James Harr and his climbing partner to quit ascending a cliff in Eldorado Canyon State Park on Thursday evening, just before the accident that ended Harr's life.

Officials at the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group said the pair had reached the final leg of a descent down the cliff's face, and Harr's partner was on the ground, when something went wrong.

Harr, 25, of Boulder, fell about 20 feet and struck the ground, back first, said Steve Chappell, assistant leader for the rescue group. Harr died at the scene from multiple injuries, the Boulder County Coroner's Office reported Friday.

Officials at the county Sheriff's Office said Harr's injuries included head wounds and that he wasn't wearing a helmet.

"There are situations where even a helmet won't help you," Chappell said. "But you want to always wear one."

Harr's death was an accident, according to the coroner. Officials are investigating what caused him to fall.

The pair had ascended three to four pitches up a cliff along the state park's Rincon Route on Thursday afternoon, Chappell said. One pitch is typically the length of an average climbing rope.

They were headed down for the day.

"They were on the last rappel," he said.

Chappell didn't know Harr's climbing skill level, "but what they were doing requires some training."

The climbing partner ran to the state park office to report the accident, and the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group was one of several agencies to respond. Group volunteers spent more than an hour lowering Harr about 1,200 feet over rocky terrain to the canyon's main road, Chappell said.

According to the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group's most recent activity report, rescuers responded to 26 rock-climbing accidents in 2004.

haas

Jan 28, 2006, 4:32 PM
Post #12 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is sad to hear, my condolences to the friends and family. I hope his climbing partner still sticks to climbing though and doesn't let this accident interfere with that enjoyment.

aspiringmonkey

Jan 28, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #13 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spiderman and other action figures dancing?? what what, um yeah, at least he was doing what he loved

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2006, 7:59 PM
Post #14 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UPDATE INFO 11/28/06

========================
http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4423145,00.html

By Ivan Moreno, Rocky Mountain News

January 28, 2006

"There was a mistake made with the ropes," West said. "It was getting dark and they were looking to get out of the area. Everything had gone smoothly up to that point."

Dave Booton, Boulder County sheriff's emergency services coordinator, said that as Steve Mills lowered Harr to the ground, the rope slipped through his belay plate.

"People need to remember to tie a knot into the end of the rope" because the knot can act as a brake, Booton said.

Mills' age and hometown were not available.

The climbers were on the West Ridge formation on a difficult route known as Rincon, said park manager Joe Brand.

"They were experienced climbers," Booton said. "Any time you're climbing a 5.11 (the route's difficulty rating), you're a good climber."

djoseph

Jan 30, 2006, 6:57 AM
Post #15 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI: A thread ostensibly from the climber's partner at climbingboulder.com (now mountainproject.com): http://www.mountainproject.com/...n_eldorado/105791322

From that thread:

In reply to:
Hello all. My name is Steve Mills and I was the belayer and good friend of of the late James Harr. Here is what happened: we reached the third belay and decided, after much deliberation and attempted route-finding, to forego the last pitch on account of the weather and rap down. We lowered down to the second belay, and then down to the anchors atop Thunderbolt, a short 11d to the right of Rincon. These anchors are about forty feet off the ground. We both reached these anchors and were very excited to be almost back to earth. It was very cold and windy and we were not adequately clothed. James tied a bight in the rope and hooked it to his harness so that both ends of the rope would not fall to the ground when he pulled it from the previous rappel. I took one end of the rope, fed it through the o-rings and tied in. he put me on belay and lowered me down. What happened at this point is still not entirely clear to me, but it certainly involved James tying into the bight on his harness, or to some middle point on the rope, instead of tying in to the OTHER END. Consequently, when I pulled through the slack and had him tight, we were only working with a very small portion of the rope. I saw a pile of rope to the left of me, and felt the tension in the line. I asked James two times if everything looked right to him and he said to go ahead and lower. I began lowering, and about halfway down to the ground the rope zipped through my hand and through the grigri, leaving James twenty feet to fall. He landed on his back and head. If he had been tied into the other end of the rope there is no way that I could have had him taught AND have the rope run through the grigri. James and I had a brief but wonderful climbing partnership. His last words were "Wow, we have amazing chemistry," which was entirely true. We are both experienced climbers - I trusted him and he trusted me and were were always very safe. But somewhere amidst the excitement of reaching the ground after an hour and a half descent and the discomfort of the cold and wind, we lost some of our circumspection; he made an error and I in turn made an error by not noticing it. And he lost his life because of it. May you rest in peace James: you will never be forgotten; you shall continue to inspire me and all others that knew you, as of course you always have.

My condolences.

Dan

majid_sabet

Jan 31, 2006, 5:00 AM
Post #16 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Dan

Could some one help me out and read this whole thing and tell me what they did, I am totally lost on this one.
=========

These anchors are about forty feet off the ground. We both reached these anchors and were very excited to be almost back to earth. It was very cold and windy and we were not adequately clothed. James tied a bight in the rope and hooked it to his harness so that both ends of the rope would not fall to the ground when he pulled it from the previous rappel. I took one end of the rope, fed it through the o-rings and tied in. he put me on belay and lowered me down. What happened at this point is still not entirely clear to me, but it certainly involved James tying into the bight on his harness, or to some middle point on the rope, instead of tying in to the OTHER END. Consequently, when I pulled through the slack and had him tight, we were only working with a very small portion of the rope. I saw a pile of rope to the left of me, and felt the tension in the line. I asked James two times if everything looked right to him and he said to go ahead and lower. I began lowering, and about halfway down to the ground the rope zipped through my hand and through the Grigri, leaving James twenty feet to fall. He landed on his back and head. If he had been tied into the other end of the rope there is no way that I could have had him taut AND have the rope run through the Grigri.

gullwing19

Jan 31, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #17 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By tying off somewhere other than the opposite end of the rope he essentially shortened his rope from 200 ft to 60ft...needing 80ft to get lowered to the ground safely yet he came up up some 20 ft short.

My condolences to friends and family. I hate hearing things like this.

Partner holdplease2

Jan 31, 2006, 6:20 AM
Post #18 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rather than rapelling, these guys were lowering one another from anchor to anchor, and from the last anchor to the ground?

And then, rather than make sure that the "lowerer" on the ground had enough rope to get the second guy from the anchor to the deck, they apparently had the guy at the anchor tie into a bight, and the lowerer on the ground just used the rope that was already on the ground (the "pile" referenced in his post)...which was 20 feet short.

The guy then was lowered off the end of the rope, as might happen to a climber who completes a lead that was more than half of a rope length long who could then be lowered off the end of the rope by mistake.

This is what it sounds like to me, anyway.

My condolences to friends, family, and those involved.

-Kate.

majid_sabet

Jan 31, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #19 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Gull and Kate

But still not clear

rope zipped through my hand and through the Grigri,

Here is how I done it in the past with 2 options

You lower your partner down to next anchor, he/she set up either fixing the tail to an anchor, you lower yourself via whatever you got(ATC, GRIGRI) and you repeat till you touch the earth.

or he pulls the rope on his side till you get the end the of rope tight and tie it to your harness, and he lowers you via whatever.

========

Why there was slack (if that was the cause of falling 20 feet)
why rope flew thru GriGri (non stop)
Why and where did that tension came from ( " I felt tension on the line")
Also they were 40 feet above and he fell 20 feet so, belayer lowered him down 20 feet and then some thing went wrong.

======== I am waiting to hear from you guys ==============

jsj42

Jan 31, 2006, 7:56 AM
Post #20 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope I never die climbing, but if I do, I sure hope that this majed_sabet doesn't post some comment about me or the accident that led to my death. Geez man. Leave these people alone.

Partner holdplease2

Jan 31, 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #21 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid:

The first guy gets lowerd to the ground, pulls himself some slack, unties, and drops the rope on the ground. Maybe pulls some rope down, but not much.

Now, the guy at the top anchor ties a bight on the rope right about where his ATC was when he finished lowering his friend.

The friend now puts the guy at the anchor "on belay" with his (ground guy's) ATC quite near the end of the rope where he (ground guy) had been tied in.

He tugs the rope and feels the guy at the anchor on the line.

The guy at the anchor sits back on the line, and the guy on the ground begins to lower him...

The Rope "END" (not tons of rope, as it could be read) zips thru the gri gri, after about 15-20 feet of lowering because the guys did not make sure that the guy on the ground pulled down enough rope to be able to lower his friend all the way to the deck.

The ground guy lowered the anchor guy off the end of the rope.

IF i'm wrong, I'll delete all of this to not muddy the thread, but it seems like this is what happened.

-Kate.

bhilden

Jan 31, 2006, 8:05 AM
Post #22 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Condolences to all who were affected by this tragic accident.

IMHO, what makes this particularly tragic is that, yet again, someone dies while being
lowered off a climb. This should just not happen. It is the responsibility of the climber doing the lowering to determine if there is enough rope to safely lower the other climber to the
ground. If the climber doing the lowering cannot determine if there is enough rope then it is very, very simple to tie a knot in the end of the rope.

Regardless of whether the climber being lowered tied into the middle of the rope or the end of the rope, it is still the responsibility of the climber doing the lowering to determine if there is enough rope to safely make the lower.

Bruce

ps - the fact that these climbers were using GriGris on a multi-pitch route instead of a device that allowed rappelling is another matter worthy of discussion.

jsj42

Jan 31, 2006, 8:16 AM
Post #23 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best I can understand it is as follows:

The guys arrived at the anchor and clipped into it. James took a bight of rope and clipped it to his harness, so that when they pulled the rope down from the previous anchor they wouldn't drop it. They threaded the rope, Steve tied into this end, and they pulled the rope, which fell to the ground in a pile. One end of the rope from this pile now was running up through the anchor to Steve, who was tied in. The other end went up from the pile to the bight, which was clipped to James. James then lowered Steve to the ground. Steve, who was now standing next to the pile of rope, untied and then pulled the end that ran from him, up through the anchor (the end he had just been lowered on), until it came tight against James. He put James on belay. James was tied in to some midpoint on the rope (perhaps into the bight he had tied earlier). Steve lowered James, he didn't have enough rope to do so, and the end slipped through his hand and the GriGri.

Why were they lowering each other? Because they were climbing with GriGri's and didn't want to simul-rap. This makes sense.

Why did James tie into a mid-point on the rope? Because they wanted to save time by not pulling the entire rope through the anchor (the rap is very short here). This makes sense as well.

Why did Steve untie? Based on his description, I'm only inferring that he did this. But it makes sense -- they were cold and in a hurry, they wanted to save time, get everything untied and ready to go. It makes sense to me.

Why did the rope slip through the GriGri? Well, their hands were clearly cold, they may have been hypothermic, plus, clearly the pile of extra rope at the base led Steve to think there was plenty of rope for lowering. I can see how this could happen.

It was an ACCIDENT. It was a horrible, horrible accident. I sure hope that if this ever happens to me Majid_Sabet doesn't bold face some mistake I made that caused my death. This stuff happens & frankly, I DO think it's a tragedy to die -- even if it is doing something you love.

And while it may be the "responsibility of the person on the ground to lower someone safely," I firmly believe that whenever you choose to go climbing, you choose to take your life in your hands, and that decision trumps any responsibility your belayer might have.

Yes, a knot in the end of the rope might have prevented this accident, but so would any number of things: warmer weather, more daylight, more standard procedures for rappelling... it seems to me that a lot of things stacked together to allow this.

squierbypetzl

Jan 31, 2006, 8:22 AM
Post #24 of 30 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Fatality in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Regardless of whether the climber being lowered tied into the middle of the rope or the end of the rope, it is still the responsibility of the climber doing the lowering to determine if there is enough rope to safely make the lower.

Sure, but the victim shouldn´t have been tied into a bight in the middle of the rope and then been lowered off on it. Unfortunately, we can pretty much chalk that up to the cold and the desire to get off the rock and someplace warm.

Condolences.

ronolsen

Jan 31, 2006, 1:44 PM
Post #25 of 30 (7314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sympathy goes to the friends and family members touched by this accident.

As Bruce mentions, the root cause of the accident was the belayer not ensuring there was enough rope to safely lower his partner, and then letting the end of the rope slip through the belay device.

A secondary factor was the climber not tying in to the end of the rope.

However, additional factors contributed to the accident:

The reports say the accident occurrred at 6:15 pm. Sunset was around 5:15 pm, so it was well after dark. I did not see any mention of headlamps being used. Darkness was likely a contributing factor to the errors made by both climbers.

Other contributing factors: starting a multi-pitch climb too late in the day, lack of time awareness, not bringing adequate clothing to deal with dropping temperatures, using Grigris on a multi-pitch trad climb, and not wearing a helmet.

The lessons to learn are pretty clear.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook