RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

kyclimber

Jan 31, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Peru / Bolivia Mtnrng
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey gang -

I've looked a bit at the database, but I'm still trying to find a good mountain to climb in N. Peru or Bolivia. I'll be down there in May to do the Inca trail, and would like to step onto some snow and ice as well. Nothing too over-involved, but mildly technical. Maybe along the lines of Shasta's Hotlum glacier route or Hood? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

iceisnice

Feb 1, 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Re: Peru / Bolivia Mtnrng [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pick up Brad Johnson's guidebook for the Cordillera Blanca. was there last summer and was blown away at the kind of climbing you could have with pretty easy access. there are all levels of climbing there. if you are short on time, the Ishinca Valley is a good place to go. that is were we went and the two warm-up peaks i did are pretty much just strenuous hikes. Both peaks, Ishinca and Urus Este, were 18,000+.

thewyseclimber

Feb 1, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you're doing the Inca trail, you'll most likely be in Cusco for at least a bit. I spent 3 months down there last summer, and it was the best. You should check in at Le Sommet, a bar and restaurant with a climbing wall, owned by a respected mountain guide named Luis Quispe. He can tell you much of what you need to know about mountaineering in the area, and in all of Peru, as he leads clients all the time at various technical abilities. He's summited Salkantay, Alpamayo, and Huascaran, and more that I'm sure I don't know of.

Anyway, talk to him. I hope he's still in business. He had just opened last summer before I got there. Avenida Marques, 2 blocks from Plaza de Armas, in Cusco. Check him out. I hope your spanish is passable.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy peru. You will love it. Get to Huaraz if you can, and check out the cordillera blanca and cordillera negra. Amazing.

lofstromc

Feb 1, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which Inca Trail will yo be hiking?
If you're doing the Taquesi Inca Trail (Bolivia), you're in the same neighborhood as Huayna Potosi, which I've heard is nice. I have some people I could introduce you to if your headed towards La Paz.

jason_martin

Feb 13, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed quite a bit in Bolivia and would recommend Huayna Potosi, Illimani, Condoriri, and Pequeno Alpamyo. There are numerous other cool peaks, but these are the cream of the crop...

I have not climbed in Peru, but based on what people tell me the mountains in Bolivia see a lot less traffic.

The Taquesi trek is quite nice -- there is a bit of litter -- but the trail is not very busy at all.

Good luck on your trip!

Jason

lostnfound

May 8, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben Ill berin la paz in mid may through most of august plan to bring full mountaineering gear and plan portered trip; partners wanted.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook