RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

lewisiarediviva

Feb 2, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Cleaning my house.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:robert: Me in my cleaning cap.

Today I need to clean my house. I know there are all sorts of house cleaning websites out there on the cobweb, but they never seem to address my issues. The nice ladies their just don't seem to understand why I never have time to get to my dust.

To do list:
Put old ski racks on Climbing/Backcountry ski trooper.
Put new ski racks on my trooper.
Find my crampon bag and put them away (they've been under the piano for two in a half weeks).
After the morning snow melts deal with slackline (I have another thread on this ordeal).
Make sure entire family has clean smartwool's for the weekend.
Repack my ski bag.
Purchase lunch food for Saturday's family skiing.
Take a pair of old ski boots to the Idaho Youth Ranch.
When the school bus returns, tell my kids to check their ski bags to assure they have everything. (Then they must practice their music!)
Find a corner to place the collection of my Mt. Rainier gear, so I can see what I need to get.
Spend two hours at the gym.
Decide were my dad and step mom are sleeping this weekend. (think they'll mind the toothpaste in the kids sink?)

Wow, it's so much easier to clean house durring ski season then it is during climbing season.

What cleaning do you need to do today? Let us know so that we can all share in the trials and turbulations of house work.

outdoorsie

Feb 2, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cleaning my house. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I know what you mean. I suggested to my hubby that we do some sunny south-facing climbing on Sat and then winter camping Sat night, and his immediate response was "Well, only if you get all that cr@p out and organized. I don't have time for that."

So what does it take to go climbing and winter camping?
* Dig out climbing gear and back packs. Make sure appropriate trad gear, slings, and shoes are packed in each. Make sure harnesses are moved from gym bags to climbing packs. Where's the rope again? I think we washed it, so it's probably still hanging in the second bedroom.
* Dig out boxes with camping gear inside. Yes, I'm so organized everything is stored in plastic tubs. Burried underneath other plastic tubs.
* Open plastic tubs and figure out what's missing. Enough food? a trash bag? Paper towels?
* Probably need to buy more firewood.
* Put miscellanious missing bits of gear into boxes. Headlamps that get moved out. That thermometer that I carry around.
* Dig out camp pillows. I think they're in the hall closet.
* Get out step-stool so I can reach the sleeping bags that we keep on the top shelf in the second closet. Pack sleeping bags in stuff sacks so they fit in car. Get out blankets for the dog.
* While doing all of the above, finish laundry so we have warm clothes and lots of layers available.
* Pack warm clothes and lots of layers.
* Fill up water containers and pack mobile water containers (nalgenes, a bladder, water for dog)
* Oh yeah, the dog. Gotta pack some food for her.

And somehow, I have to get all this into the car Saturday morning. And then put it all away when we get home on Sunday. I don't have the energy for this right now. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it. Sometimes, the trips just don't seem worth the work. Is there some way to make it all easier??

ecocliffchick

Feb 2, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To make it easier:

(1) take less equipment. Do you really need every possible gadget to enjoy the outdoors? Sort through what you really use and give away what you don't.
(2) keep all your camping equipment together (you said it's in bins, but then listed various other items in various other places, put it all in one or two bins)
(3) keep all your climbing equipment together - (again, in a bin)
(3) clean and put away all your stuff after a trip so its ready to go for the next one.

Then all you have to do is throw the bins in the car and go.

maybe I'm too organized....

lewisiarediviva

Feb 2, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I just did the strength portion of my work out and changed the ski racks around.

Outdoorsie- You may as well do this now:

Store your gear in the bags you take. We have a "gear closet." It's a tiny coat closet that is chalk full of stuff (our backpacks don't fit.) We have a duffle bag with the rack, ropes, and tent in it. And each member of the family has a backpack with shoes, chalk bags, harness, headlamp, and helmet ready to go. It's still a chore to pull everything out and pack food- but I'd never go back to your situation. My kids can pack for a weekend climbing trip within 20 minutes then come out of their rooms and pack the dogs, carry bags to the car, and pack the cooler. And when we get home the kids sort their laundry and put away their own stuff (including air drying their ski clothes). I am training my son to do laundry. Usually by Tuesday night we are all cleaned up- and then Thursday night we start pulling it all out. Our sleeping bags hang in half my son's closet, and they stuff their own bags- and so does my husband unless he has one of those weeks at work, then maybe I'll do that for him.

I wish I had a gear room.

Just say NO . . . to bins!

I better get those socks out of the wash. . .

Happy packing, I mean cleaning.

kimmyt

Feb 2, 2006, 6:56 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I totally need to wash my rope and clean/lube my cams before it gets much warmer.

I also need to do mega laundry so I have enough ski clothes for my trip to Quebec next weekend, and I have to remember to take the sticks to the local shop to get edged/base repaired.

It's so hard to be a woman in this day and age...

:D

danieladaniela

Feb 2, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did any of you see that website of the flylady???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
She may suicide if she entered my house. But I don't care, I am happy, I am fit, my children are happy, when we're too tired to workout we do math, and needless to say I don't have any "body clutter" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partner macherry

Feb 2, 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i disagree, bins are the way to go. camping/climbing gear is separated and it's easy to load the bins in the car. they take up less space and stuff is sorted.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 2, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry, it's my experience that bins take up more space. But then we pack for car camping very much like we are backpacking. We just add some firewood and a few other things.

Actually, I do use two bins. One for the kitchen stuff and the other is our cooler.

granite_grrl

Feb 3, 2006, 1:08 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See, we've got the gear closet at home....and to get at anything we've got to haul everything out. Me and the bf really need to take some time to organize it, but we keep putting it off.

outdoorsie

Feb 3, 2006, 2:44 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, these are all good ideas. Here's what I "heard" as I was reading.

:: Bubble comes up from outdoorsie's head ::
"I need to buy more gear!! If I had two harnesses, chalk bags, and belay devices, I could keep one set for going to the gym, and one set always packed in my climbing pack! If I had two head lamps, I could keep one always packed with the tent!"

Ok, so, not so practical. Probably, the reality of the situation is that if we were more careful when we put everything away, making sure that trash bags are replaced, camping gear is all returned to its appropriate spots, the trad rack was organized and put away appropriately instead of just shoved in a corner of the closet, well then it would be much easier to pack, huh?

It feels good to write this out, even if nobody else really cares, sorry. It's like, now I have a plan for how to make packing for trips easier! Thanks everybody!!

lewisiarediviva

Feb 3, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually outdoorsie, I forgot you take your harness to the gym. And I imagine you probably don't want to take your climbing pack to the gym for a few reasons. So I guess if you were going to take my advice you would need two harnesses. . . which may be overkill.

I'm thinking too. I have a tiny house that my family outgrew the instant we moved in. We've been here 8 years and some how we manage a very active lifestyle without renting anything.

Happy Cleaning!

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Feb 3, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, mid-week daytime house cleaning really must suck. The only comfort I can provide is that at least you aren't a full time student working 30 hours a week whose "space" is far from house-sized.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 3, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #13 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, mid-week daytime house cleaning really must suck. The only comfort I can provide is that at least you aren't a full time student working 30 hours a week whose "space" is far from house-sized.

Been their done that. Add a yard, two kids, two dogs, a husband( :? ), self-employment, busy kids, an attitude against after school child care, volunter time at your kids school, and a part time education to improve your business skills. Add plenty of time with hubby ( :D ), a work out for a big mountain, and time to keep up those things that make you you (poetry) so that you don't loose your self image.

If I wasn't having fun with all the above I'd go back to the college days in an instant. Gotta pack for skiing. . . but I just realized that going back to college would probaly not include finaces for skiing. I guess you're right, I'd rather fight dust.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Feb 4, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #14 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Been their done that. Add a yard, two kids, two dogs, a husband( :? ), self-employment, busy kids, an attitude against after school child care, volunter time at your kids school, and a part time education to improve your business skills. Add plenty of time with hubby ( :D ), a work out for a big mountain, and time to keep up those things that make you you (poetry) so that you don't loose your self image.

If I wasn't having fun with all the above I'd go back to the college days in an instant. Gotta pack for skiing. . . but I just realized that going back to college would probaly not include finaces for skiing. I guess you're right, I'd rather fight dust.

I'm actually not a fan of college. I'm still here solely for the piece of paper stating the university name and degree earned. I'm on the "five year plan," not [exactly] by choice, and I would love to work full-time as soon as I get the opportunity. The waiting has been made more difficult by the fact that my firm has a number of responsibilities that they have me in mind for that I can't take on until I'm full-time, so they're going to other people. Still, I can't complain about where I'm at - most students in my situation don't have the job opportunity I've been afforded.

No skiing, snowboarding, or outdoor climbing in over a year. That's the part that hurts!

But I guess I can't comment on your diligence for cleanliness. My domestic cleaning tendencies are less than stellar. Your scenario is more the goal I have in mind at the moment.
:)

granite_grrl

Feb 4, 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tore apart the cooking boxes. Took out everything we wouldn't need for the weekend, packed our food in the spaces where the extra stove and pot used to be.

We better remember to put it all back together, or we'll screw ourselves for our next trip.

I've got 1/2 hour before I head to bed...then up at 3am for the drive to the Daks...and hopefully at least a little bit of ice!!!

Woot!! Can't wait to get away for the weekend, it's been a while since I've been out anywhere :D .

lewisiarediviva

Feb 4, 2006, 4:33 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blond love bolts! May your life be blessed!

And it will be!

(I actually have never had a job that I needed my degree for. Business is slow and my husband want's to quit his "real" job. He may find himself ironing his own shirts very soon, if I'm going to get my butt in gear and get this buisness going so he can. . . we are at transition time with pre-teens who I've been training to take over the waxing of the ski's so I can work. . .)

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook