Forums: Community: Campground:
I keep getting bit by this dog. what do I do?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gene723

Feb 8, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #1 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

I keep getting bit by this dog. what do I do?
Report this Post
Can't Post

okay, my neighbor is this dentist who has his office on the floor below mine. He also has a dog. This dog has bitten me 3 times now. First on the quads then on my ankle twice (because I wear sandals). The dentist tells it "stop boy." It does but I know the next time it's going to bite me again (pattern is obvious). I'm not sure whether or not I should yell at it "stop boy" or just grab it by its fucking neck and pull it away next time. I feel almost as if I'm letting some dog walk over me. I'm being "cool" about it right now because I'm getting my teeth cleaned by that dentist next week.

How do I deal with this asshole dog?

styndall

Feb 8, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #2 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Re: I keep getting bit by this dog. what do I do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Four foot 2x4

aaronbr86

Feb 8, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #3 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the problem while riding my bike as a teenager around my rural area. There was a Rottweiler that would always try to get us and would wait in the road for me. I finally decided i would fix it. I found a good squirt bottle that would shoot a good stream 10-12 ft or so then filled it with ammonia. As we were riding down the road here the dog came. I stepped off my bike and started spraying it. It shook it off one time and then I got it dead in its eyes. I had to stop my brother from sticking a boot knife in it since the kids were outside at the house. They were screaming dont kill our dog, it wont bite you. Bullshit it wont bite. I know from experience. Out where I grew up it was lucky it didnt get a .45 bullet to the head. It never bothered to get off the porch again.
I have a feeling I'm going to get some animal cruelty bs called upon me here. Its just lucky I let it live and didnt have it sent to the pound to be killed.
-Aaron

Edit: Have you ever had the idea of having an accidental antifreeze leak on your car for some reason :roll:

boondock_saint

Feb 8, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #4 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoot the fuckin' dog

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 8, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #5 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have you informed the dentist that his dog has bitten you three times? if so, and he won't stop the dog, then after you get your teeth cleaned call animal control.

dont beat the dog. that accomplishes nothing. it's the owner's fault.

kriso9tails

Feb 8, 2006, 4:52 AM
Post #6 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give the dog a hand job... he will like you better after that.

edit: someone I know did that once. They said it worked for the long-term, but I wouldn't really be willing to try myself.

shortfatoldguy

Feb 8, 2006, 4:52 AM
Post #7 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Civil suit. (If you want to punish the creature that needs punishing.)

Or peppper spray. (For expedience.)

maculated

Feb 8, 2006, 4:55 AM
Post #8 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second calling animal control. So long as you've told the dentist. If he's aware, animal control that sucker.

I've got a dog with bite instinct due to her being a serious working dog (weeee) and it has to be carefully managed, but what's happening here is inexcusable. It sounds like the dog is biting for the same reasons my dog does (same general locations) which is to protect and ward you off its perceived property so it at least is not going to do anything vicious to you.

Partner tattooed_climber

Feb 8, 2006, 4:57 AM
Post #9 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

has it drawn blood?

fucking call animal control....the owner should be fined (i'm sure those bi-laws/laws are the same as it is here in canada as it is where you are)

fucking well hit the dog next time too

if it was your dog, then its a 'bite the ear" kinda thing (letting who know who's the alpha) a good cuff will do the same to fuckhead's dog

Partner macherry

Feb 8, 2006, 5:13 AM
Post #10 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have no tolerance for bad animal behavior. too often, i've been bit or chased by a dog while their owner stands by. If the dog ca't be trusted not to bite, it should be leashed and under control.

I am a dog owner

give the owner a warning, if it happens again call animal control.

reno

Feb 8, 2006, 6:07 AM
Post #11 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the dog ca't be trusted not to bite, it should be leashed and under control.

Even if it can be trusted, most dogs should be on a leash whenever their are other things (people, animals) around, IMHO.

Seen lots of "good dogs" get issues when you add overwhelming amounts of stimulus (lots of people, noise, smells, etc.)

I suppose I could make the exception of police dogs, as those are so well trained, but I dunno... any animal has capacity to revert to instinct, and that's a risk.

Leash is not a punishment.

Give the owner one chance: "You leash the dog, or I call animal control and my lawyer. In that order."

gav

Feb 8, 2006, 6:31 AM
Post #12 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A swift kick next time it try's to go you should sort it out, without the animosity that calling animal control could bring.

maculated

Feb 8, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #13 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The kick will make it worse for this kind of behavior on the part of the dog. I promise. Our friend here will not be simply bitten on the thigh or ankle - he will be attacked in the dog's self defense. This dog has fight, not flight, for it's self-preservation instinct.

dr_feelgood

Feb 8, 2006, 7:46 AM
Post #14 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the pepper spray proposal. Anyone who has gotten even a whiff of that shit knows how much it sucks...

overlord

Feb 8, 2006, 8:45 AM
Post #15 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sue the owner.

and pepperspray the thing. animal cruelty or not, if the dog bites random people, the gloves come off. at least you wont shoot the thing.

gene723

Feb 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #16 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay, so I'm guessing I should hit it with a 2x4, spray its eyes with ammnonia and pepper spray, and when it is incapacitated give it a "hand job," then call animal control.

hmmm.....I wonder if I should act on this internet advice? I mean, the owner is like 7-10 feet away from the dog so I gotta be surreptitious and quick I guess.

overlord

Feb 8, 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #17 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in that case you REALLY should sue him/her.

and warn the person that if the dog bites you again you WILL pepperspray it. or used ammonia. or whatever. just IMHO pepperspray is the best sollution here. easy to use and effective. and the owner cant sue you for permanently damaging the dog (like youd do with a 2x4).

thomasribiere

Feb 8, 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #18 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or ask the dentist to see a dog behaviourist. Agressions have different forms (predation, hierarchy, phobia...), different paterns (with or without warning = growling from the dog before the bites), different causes (anxiety, human-dog social problem, hyperactivity...).

Some agressions can be easily cured, some can be lessened, some will worsen...

Partner tradman

Feb 8, 2006, 1:09 PM
Post #19 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stomp it.

If it does it again, kill it.

It is not your responsibility to attend to what causes the dog to bite.

I appreciate all the bleeding hearts here worried about the health of this poor misguided doggie, but I think we should be more worried about the health of the people it's biting.

lagr01

Feb 8, 2006, 2:20 PM
Post #20 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gene, what's the dog's breed?

We need to know the kind of dog you are dealing with so we can give you helpful advice.

tradgal

Feb 8, 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #21 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My dog is very opinionated when it comes to humans. There are a few that he just doesn't like and he shows it by quitely growling in a manner as if to say "beat it, you smell."

One such human who was around my dog quite often combatted this dislike my dog had for her by giving him a peanut. Since that peanut day--my dog has never once growled at her again.

It's worth a shot, right? Good luck!!!

dookie

Feb 8, 2006, 2:33 PM
Post #22 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^ sure all the bleeding hearts concerned for the dog, but what fukking good does it do to beat the dog? Like you somehow knock some sense into it?? You don't, you make the problem worse. Dog's don't have human rationale, in case you haven't noticed :lol: Beating a dog that is aggressive will not help nor solve anything. So what good is it?
The way I've always stood on the issue is the second a dog bites a human (in a vicious way, not nipping in a playful manner, but actually aggressive biting), that needs to get reported to animal control in your town/county whatever immediately. Let them handle it, that's what they are there for. They can then judge what needs to be done here. They can make recommendations to the owner of how to stop the problem. That way 1. you don't have to be the 'heavy' here and be telling your neighbor how to raise his dog and 2. it's been officially 'reported' so the next time it happens, a more severe punishment will be given.
The dentist obviously doesn't see what's going on as wrong, since he's there saying 'stop boy' and not doing much at all about it. Making a report will send a pretty clear message that this isn't OK.
I've had a friend who had to put her dog down because he was a biter. She adopted him at the age of 2 from an abusive family. The dog was one of the sweetest hounds I ever knew, and she was an amazing dog owner - ran with him daily, took him to dog parks to socialize him, and loved him more than anything. But he had issues with people in uniform, namely mail delivery folks. Classic, I know. He had 1 count against him 2 years ago, where he bit a mailman's ankle as my friend was walking him outside (they came around the corner and he tore off pulling the leash out of her hands when he saw the mailman - Oscar was a big dog, around 90lbs I'd say). The mailman threatened to sue her of course. Fortunatley, the dog was quarrentined for 1 week and found to be OK and returned. Charges were eventually dropped.
About 4 months ago she was walking him into her building on a leash. Who's there but a maillady delivering the mail. She puts herself between them, and calmly walks her dog by. Just as they were passing she went to praise him for being so good and calm - when he instantly turns around and bites mail-lady in the butt. Another call to animal control, another threat of a lawsuit. Dog quarrentined again. At a loss of what to do, she takes her dog to the vet. The vet informs her that she can take the dog to a behaviorist, with no promises that things will change, or she can keep on the way things are and continue to risk the safety of others, with no definate that this won't happen again. Other option, put the dog to sleep, which very well could be what animal control would have eventually done. Usually 2 or more strikes and the dog is out. She chose to be there with her dog, have their last moments together, and let him go quietly.
Once a dog turns on a human like that, there are really no guarantees. As a responsible dog owner, like many others here, I recognize that. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, there's not much you can do and that dog will continue to bite people. This dog had been to many obience classes and met one on one with many trainers in hopes of solving the problem. There was no solution. That dog just didn't like the mail man uniform, end of story. And avoiding mail men the rest of her life isn't something she could guarantee. A very hard decision to make, but instead of having animal control take him and take his life, she chose to have her last moments with him and let him go for his own good, and for hers.

Partner tradman

Feb 8, 2006, 2:44 PM
Post #23 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Beating a dog that is aggressive will not help nor solve anything. So what good is it?

I think it can actually help. Where a dog cannot be trained to refrain from biting by normal means, it can sometimes be taught to just be terrified of the person they bite. It's unorthodox and I'd rarely use that approach, but when all else fails...

In reply to:
A very hard decision to make, but instead of having animal control take him and take his life, she chose to have her last moments with him and let him go for his own good, and for hers.

That's a really sad story.

Myself and my other half have agreed a simple policy with our dog: we love her to bits, but if she ever bites anyone, she will be given one chance to be retrained and if there is a repeat incident, she's to be put down the same day if possible. If the person bitten is a child, there will be no second chance.

tradgal

Feb 8, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #24 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently, as a child, I was not the smartest, but I will tell this story anyway...

I have been bit by 3 different dogs on four different occasions in my life. Three of which required stitches, all three on my face. The fourth was on my hip--no stitches (and I was an adult).

The three face bites--I was very young (17 stitches in total). I loved animals and I still do. As a child, I could not comprehend that it wasn't smart to aggrevate a dog while it was eating. One bite was a family friend's dog. I went near her while she was devouring her food, bent down to get a ball for her near her food bowl and she snapped at me. The other two face bites were from my own St. Bernard (large dog) who also snapped at me when I decided it was a good time to jump on him while he was eating. Obviously a bad idea--but for a three year old--how was I to understand???

Unfortunately for my parents, this all happenned within a 3 month period. Social services was called in because they thought my parents were beating me. Especially when coupled with bruises and scratches--since I was always a bit of a tomboy. Of course, social services realized what had happenned and my parents were forced with a very difficult decision--to put the dogs down for snapping when aggrevated by a small child or let the dogs live and teach that small child right from wrong. They chose to not to put either dog down, but to watch me a little more closely and focus on teaching me doggy etiquette.

That St. Bernard lived 13 years and really was a great dog. I was the only person he ever bit. He never showed aggression to anyone else. I think my parents made a good decision. Though, I am sure others would not agree.

The point of that long story--is that all dogs are different. Dogs do things for a reason whether we understand why or not. Aggressive unfounded behaviour from a dog and owner's who don't punish their dogs is unexcusable...period.

But, before you ask that the dog be put down or any other cruel action that has been mentioned--maybe stop and ask yourself why this dog is biting you? Is this dog biting anyone else? Do you have other animals that possibly this dog smells? Etc. As mentioned--dogs do not have human rationale. They have doggy rationale. Maybe take a minute to try to understand that rationale before pushing the gas chamber button.

Again, aggressive, untrainable dogs and unreasonable owners are inexcusable. But, there are other steps to take before beating a dog or killing the dog. The first step is to talk to the owner one on one--there are other dentists out there you know???

Partner macherry

Feb 8, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #25 of 57 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Beating a dog that is aggressive will not help nor solve anything. So what good is it?

I think it can actually help. Where a dog cannot be trained to refrain from biting by normal means, it can sometimes be taught to just be terrified of the person they bite. It's unorthodox and I'd rarely use that approach, but when all else fails...

tradman, what usually happens in that case, is that the dog cowers when the owner is around, but lashes out at the next person to walk by

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook