Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Conditions at the Enchanted Tower
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jer99

Feb 9, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Conditions at the Enchanted Tower  (North_America: United_States: New_Mexico: Central_New_Mexico: The_Enchanted_Tower)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about a trip to the Enchanted Tower next weekend (2/18), and was wondering what the conditions might be like. Weather looks like upper 50s in Datil, but I think the Tower is at higher elevation? Anyone have any info on if it will be climbable? Will the road be in drivable condition? Thanks.

lizardchick

Feb 9, 2006, 9:05 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Re: Conditions at the Enchanted Tower [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather has been decent, so the road is probably okay to drive on, if you've got a vehicle with some clearance.

It will be pretty cold though (even if Datil is at 50), especially if you plan on staying the night. Sleeping Beauty wall might be nice in the sun, but it will take a good long time for the rest of the walls to warm up. I personally don't look at Datil until late March. If all you were going to do is a day trip, I'd say hit the Box instead.

moonshine505

Feb 9, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few comments. First, regarding the box, the sport climbing totally blows. Nuff said. Second, regarding the road: one of my climbing partners has been driving a honda civic hatchback into the tower for about 5 years now. High clearance is not "required" unless you want to drive it at 40mph like a drunken cowboy. As for temps, wear a hat, bring a down jacket for belaying, and some coffee. Unless it's snowing, or has been snowing for days (which it hasn't), you'll most likely be fine. Oddly enough, one of the nicest day's I've had at the tower was new years eve 2003, and I've been there every month of the year. At the tower, wind is your worst enemy, not temperature. That's what you would need to pay attention to on a weather report. Just my 2 cents.

MM

aimeerose

Feb 10, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it's crazy, my hubby and I were just chatting about how Datil would probably be climbable right now! Although, moonshine is right, the wind is your enemy. Make sure it's not more than about 15 mph or you'll be freezing your ass off. Datil/the Tower is about 9000 feet, so it's going to get really cold at night- probably 10 degrees or less. Make sure to keep that in mind in regard to your water.

jer99

Feb 10, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like it might be worth the trip...although camping is gonna be cold. One last question: do the routes on the tower get much sun or would we be climbing in the shadee? Thanks again.

aimeerose

Feb 10, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The south side of the tower is in the sun most of the day (starting in the early AM). In september the north side of the tower started getting sunny around noon or 1, with Technowitch not seeing full sun til about 2PM. So you could probably avoid climbing in the "shadee" (is that French? :)) Have fun!

Oh, BTW, I don't know about the forcast there, but here in Flagstaff it's supposed to drop to about 48 degrees tomorrow (and we're at 7000 ft) and be windy, so double check your forecast!

aimeerose

Feb 10, 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh boy, I just checked the weather and it's going to be a high of 36 tomorrow with winds from 10-15mph. Tomorrow night the wind chill is between 5 and -5. Not climbable for me, especially on those sharp pockets! Hope you haven't left yet.
But then sunday it's back up to 50.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook