RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

foyster

Feb 10, 2006, 4:13 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Camping recommendations in Canyonlands Natl Park
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading to Canyonlands National Park in March for a week w/ a group of about 11. Anyone have any favorite camping sites there or ideas for other places to stay? We'd like to stay in not very established campsites, and the ability to have fires would be pretty sweet too! Thanks!

pico23

Feb 10, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping recommendations in Canyonlands Natl Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm heading to Canyonlands National Park in March for a week w/ a group of about 11. Anyone have any favorite camping sites there or ideas for other places to stay? We'd like to stay in not very established campsites, and the ability to have fires would be pretty sweet too! Thanks!

So you want me to give you my favorite site for a group of 11 to trash with a fire?

Not gonna happen.

foyster

Feb 10, 2006, 5:59 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, fires isn't a big deal. We're still in the preliminary planning stages, and I haven't as of yet looked up the regulations regarding ground fires for the separate campgrounds. We'll be following the park regulations whatever they are, so relax. As far as group size, if you don't want to share a recommendation with a group of responsible hikers and climbers who share a concern for the protection of their privilege to enjoy hiking and climbing, then that's your own decision. How did you like the climbing there though? I'm pretty pumped for it, as it promises to be quite a bit different than my local crags (So Ill). Oh, and don't worry, we won't be clogging up your favorite routes w/ a large group, only a couple of us plan on climbing, the rest will be hiking and such.

*edited for grammar*

pico23

Feb 10, 2006, 7:04 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't climb. we canyoneered in the maze. pretty sweet. but there is great climbing out there especially in zion a few hours away. i wasn't climbing at the time.

granitegod

Feb 13, 2006, 6:11 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indian Creek. Not actually IN the park, but you drive though it on the way into the Needles District entrance.

beenco

Feb 13, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not sure if were we stayed was in CNP but it was right off the road along the green river. Just outside of Moab. I think the camping spot was called Hal Canyon. It contains about 7-8 nice plots.

Pretty nice location and Big Bend bouldering area is a five minute drive.

my .02

maldaly

Feb 13, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CNP is a big place and you didn't say where you wanted to go other than climbing so I'm going to assume you mean Indian Creek. Fires are not allowed within the park boundaries so, unless you camp in one of the campgrounds (Squaw Flats--Nice!) you can't burn anything. For camping in the creek, look at David Bloom's new guidebook: Indian Creek. Lots of beta there for where to camp.

Treat the place gently, please. It's under BLM land use review and we're (climbers) on probation for the next year. Read up on it at the Friends Of Indian Creek website ( http://www.moabdesertadventures.com/foic.htm). If we want to keep the camping free and wild like it is now you need to follow a few basic rules:

1) If you want a fire, bring in your own wood. Don't be a Boy Scout.

2) Carry out your shit. No shit; poo piles are the arch enemy of the BLM rangers and if they spot too many poo piles there'll soon be pay sites, no fires and ranger-cops checking ID's and whatever. Carry WAG bags ( http://www.wagbags.com/) to the base of the crags and use a cheap chemical toilet or a groover at camp. The river outfitters in town (http://www.texsriverways.com/rentals.htm) can rent you one for the week for $30. They even dump it for you so you don't have to clean the mess. If you can't stand the thought of that, camp at Squaw Flats where they have pit toilets, a water hose, RV's next door and cops (Rangers).

3) Control your dogs. That doesn't mean yelling at them when they get out of line. It means keeping them from getting out of line. If your dogs aren't well behaved towards people, cows and dogs at ALL times, leave them at home. There's nothing worse that climbing and/or camping around people who are yelling at their dogs all the time. Well...yelling at kids is pretty bad, too.

Sorry for the lecture but the Creek is one of the best places in the world to camp around a fire and nobody wants to see it ruined by laws, rangers, shit or whatever. Please treat it with respect.

Mal

mikemachineco

Feb 13, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto what Malcolm said about taking care of the Creek. Climbers, and others, need to WAG bag their stuff out and be responsible camping otherwise the alternative is regulated, pay camping and nobody wants that.

aerili

Mar 4, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there about 4 years ago. Depending on the day you arrive at Canyonlands, the campsite in the Needles district will probably be filled (since I think it's free or nearly free....there is also no running water there as far as I know so bring all your own since it is about 20-30 minute drive to Moab from there).

I'm not sure how many people they can accommodate, but there is another campsite BEFORE you get to Squaw Flats if I remember correctly... it is privately owned and you pay a lot more (probably $14/night but maybe you get a group discount), but it was a terrific campsite with nice proprietors and just as convenient as the other place. They even have timed showers you can pay for, very well worth it depending on how long you're going to be there.

If you want to camp at Island in the Sky, it's damn cold, but I would head for Dead Horse Pointe State Park instead if the Sky is filled. (I went in April, which is slightly more "in season" maybe?)

The Maze requires backcountry permits, FYI. It is quite remote.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook