Premier Sponsor:

madturtle

Aug 16, 2002, 7:28 AM
Post #1 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Why is Tenaya Canyon dangerous
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone looked at a Toulumne Meadows map and seen the red lettering warning hikers not to hike in Tenaya canyon because it is extremely dangerous. Does anyone know why it is any more dangerous than the 300 other valleys and canyons in Yosemite?

I figure it must be the rodents of unusual size but I'd welcome a more educated guess.

madturtle

Aug 16, 2002, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Why is Tenaya Canyon dangerous [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

come on!! Somebody throw me a bone here would ya.

couloir

Apr 7, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

tenaya canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tenaya canyon can flood very easily and you also need a rope to do rappels to get down it. And you pretty much can't go up it.

madriver

Apr 7, 2005, 2:23 AM
Post #4 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Re: tenaya canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...personaly I don't like your screen name....

Partner camhead

Apr 7, 2005, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that may explain the rattlesnake, bear, mosquitos, and wasp sting that I encountered going up that thing while humping loads to Mt. Watkins.

dangerous.

lazygirl

Apr 7, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #6 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

tenaya canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Tenaya Canyon is where they send all the bad bears. You know the ones that visit the camp grounds every night and break into everyone's cars. Not that it's the bear's fault as much as it is human's, but they can't say around, so the rangers catch them and take them up there. If they find their way down the rangers then have to kill them. The bear is then given to local Indians. This is what I was told by someone in Yosemite.

maculated

Apr 7, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #7 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh man, Lazy girl. The bear is given to Indians? They relocate bears a lot further off than Tenaya.

Tenaya Canyon is, as said, accessible only by roped technique. It has a lot of unstable rock as well. It's not "unsafe" per se, but it's not an NPS recommended area. This means your basic moron shouldn't be wandering around in the gentle wilderness of the Sierra.

Partner j_ung

Apr 7, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #8 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm pretty sure Tenaya Canyon is where they send all the bad bears. You know the ones that visit the camp grounds every night and break into everyone's cars. Not that it's the bear's fault as much as it is human's, but they can't say around, so the rangers catch them and take them up there. If they find their way down the rangers then have to kill them. The bear is then given to local Indians. This is what I was told by someone in Yosemite.

And you bought it? :P

arrettinator

Apr 7, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #9 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

And you bought it? :P
Your sig needs to go a little higher up, you tease.

And why is this thread in Community?

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook