Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

aimeerose

Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #1 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Please don't toprope on the anchors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to educate the beginners out there not to toprope out of the anchors. No matter what's at the top (chains, open shuts, leaver biners- please leave them, BTW). It creates a lot of wear and someone has to replace them. It's easy and relatively safe, to just put 2 draws at the top and reverse the bottom biner on one. Or, if you're doing a lot of toproping make draws with lockers, so you're super safe, or use webbing. There's lots of options.

Thanks!

ryanhos

Feb 16, 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #2 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Re: Please don't top rope on the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's fine and dandy, but perhaps we should also educate the route setters to STOP HANGING THE SHUTS AT 45 DEGREES TOWARD EACH OTHER. So many people see the shuts hung this way in the gym where we are MEANT to TR from them that when they hang them outside, they do it without thinking. When TRing from the anchors, the forces on the shuts work out such that 45 degrees is the optimal angle at which to mount them. However, if you expect us to hang draws and TR from the draws, then shuts hung at 45 degrees experience forces that they were not meant to withstand. Furthermore, if the shuts do hold up, the forces put on them by constant TRing from the draws will have a tendency to torque the shuts back to something closer to vertical. That certainly can't be good for the bolt holding the cold shut to the rock.

I'm all for preserving the fixed anchors by TRing off of your own gear, but when the shuts are hung improperly, it means that no matter which TR method you choose, you're likely to damage them over time.

caughtinside

Feb 16, 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #3 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's fine and dandy, but perhaps we should also educate the route setters to STOP HANGING THE SHUTS AT 45 DEGREES TOWARD EACH OTHER. So many people see the shuts hung this way in the gym where we are MEANT to TR from them that when they hang them outside, they do it without thinking. When TRing from the anchors, the forces on the shuts work out such that 45 degrees is the optimal angle at which to mount them. However, if you expect us to hang draws and TR from the draws, then shuts hung at 45 degrees experience forces that they were not meant to withstand. Furthermore, if the shuts do hold up, the forces put on them by constant TRing from the draws will have a tendency to torque the shuts back to something closer to vertical. That certainly can't be good for the bolt holding the cold shut to the rock.

I'm all for preserving the fixed anchors by TRing off of your own gear, but when the shuts are hung improperly, it means that no matter which TR method you choose, you're likely to damage them over time.

What? You have to position the shuts at 45 degrees towards each other. If you hang them straight down, they'll get pulled inwards naturally when people lower off them.

weschrist

Feb 16, 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #4 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omg, really? you mean gear left outside for public use wears out over time?

my vote for anchors:
http://www.aspenclimbingguides.com/images/anchor.jpg

alpinismo_flujo

Feb 16, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #5 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Re: Please don't toprope on the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't lower off them either - RAP!

caughtinside

Feb 16, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #6 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't lower off them either - RAP!

It's a when in Rome thing dude. If you're sport climbing, you lower. Unless you're one of those 'serious' trad dudes who sport climbs with shoulder length runners, prussiks and a nut tool.

weschrist

Feb 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #7 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rapping from a sport climbs is dumb

aimeerose

Feb 16, 2006, 1:30 AM
Post #8 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. Rapping from sport climbs is dumb. That's when many accidents happen to very experienced climbers, let alone newbies. If people don't TR off the anchors, and 1 person in each party lowers off the anchor at the end of the climbing session, then I believe the wear on the anchor will be minimal.

Also, if people leave leaver biners or those big clippable links from the hardware store (I don't know what they're called-forgive me), then they can easily be replaced once they wear out.

Another note to beginners- if you see biners on an anchor (or those hardware store thingies) they are NOT bootie!!!! Please do not take them. Thank you.

artsylady567

Feb 16, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

by not TR'ing off the anchors it saves the life of the gear and maybe the life of one who least expects it

rasperas

Feb 16, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #10 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree. Rapping from sport climbs is dumb

I disagree. When you lower off a route the safety is in the hands of the belayer who is many feet below you. When you rap off, you have complete control over your own safety. -Personally I am more comfortable when my life is in my own hands.

Also, wear on the anchors/rap rings is reduced. -Look at this:

http://climbaz.com/service/rapring.html

-Rod

weschrist

Feb 16, 2006, 1:52 AM
Post #11 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we are talking about sport climbs here... you know, where you have quickdraws and such to clean off of steep overhanging rock? you can't always rap, it just doesn't work... and since the most important thing is to reduce confusion and make sure everyone knows exactly what is expected to happen, it just makes much more sense to keep it consistant... ie, being lowered off sport climbs.

letolives

Feb 16, 2006, 2:02 AM
Post #12 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have ever cleaned a sport route that is steeper than hell and still think it should be done on rappel then you are an idiot. However you have probably never climbed anything steeper than the upper half of my bare ass and so you don't know what you are talking about. That makes you a double idiot and retard to boot.

roseraie

Feb 16, 2006, 2:08 AM
Post #13 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless you're one of those 'serious' trad dudes who sport climbs with shoulder length runners, prussiks and a nut tool.

Stop making fun of me, Dave. I *NEED* my nut tool for the gym.

lhwang

Feb 16, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #14 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Or, if you're doing a lot of toproping make draws with lockers, so you're super safe, or use webbing. There's lots of options.

Thanks!

Just to clarify... if you lower directly off of webbing, you will end up sawing through the webbing with the rope. Not a good thing. You need to lower off of a locking biner or two quickdraws with the gates in opposite directions.

Pfft.... rap or lower off of a sport climb...? There are situations where either is acceptable, and situations where one is a slightly better option than the other. Bottom line? Communicate with your partner. I usually rap... less wear on the anchor, and I get to be in control. And it *is* possible to clean an overhanging route on rappel.

locker

Feb 16, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #15 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote...

"Unless you're one of those 'serious' trad dudes who sport climbs with shoulder length runners, prussiks and a nut tool."

true story... last year or the one before, I was out at New Jack climbing of course. Jack walks by and yells up to me... "What are you doing with that cordelette"???...

ROOT BEER!!!

daithi

Feb 16, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #16 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lower off of a sport climb...? There are situations where either is acceptable, and situations where one is a slightly better option than the other.

There is also one that will result in everyone else at the crag thinking your clueless.

In reply to:
When you lower off a route the safety is in the hands of the belayer who is many feet below you.

Is this the same belayer who has held all of your falls as you dogged your way up the route. Seriously, if they can't be trusted even to lower you to the ground, they are redundant as a belayer!

dustonian

Feb 16, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #17 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this entire thread is retarded

bloodyhands

Feb 16, 2006, 4:27 AM
Post #18 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://climbaz.com/...graphics/rapring.jpg
This is what top roping and lowering off can do to rap rings.

Would you want to rap off of this? Anchors don't last for ever, and top-roping/ lowering speeds up their wear exponentially.

aimeerose

Feb 16, 2006, 4:34 AM
Post #19 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And it *is* possible to clean an overhanging route on rappel.

Maybe a slightly overhanging route, but we're not talking about your overhanging 5.10 jug haul. Try cleaning Fear and Loathing in Vegas, anything hard on the Minimum wall in Maple or most super-overhanging 5.12 or harder routes on rappel. It's just flat out dangerous, if not impossible. Many times it's necessary to keep the rope clipped to the first bolt and stay clipped to the rope leading through that draw and lower to the ground. Then you have to use a stick-clip to get the first draw. I'd love to see you clean something like that on rappel!

dustonian

Feb 16, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #20 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

um, OK, so if the rings are dangerously worn, donīt lower off them and replace them with something new. do we really need to talk about this anymore?

bloodyhands

Feb 16, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #21 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
And it *is* possible to clean an overhanging route on rappel.

Maybe a slightly overhanging route, but we're not talking about your overhanging 5.10 jug haul. Try cleaning Fear and Loathing in Vegas, anything hard on the Minimum wall in Maple or most super-overhanging 5.12 or harder routes on rappel. It's just flat out dangerous, if not impossible. Many times it's necessary to keep the rope clipped to the first bolt and stay clipped to the rope leading through that draw and lower to the ground. Then you have to use a stick-clip to get the first draw. I'd love to see you clean something like that on rappel!

I admit that some times I am forced to lower off, but I rap when ever I can.

waterman

Feb 16, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #22 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats wrong with rapping off? I have to untie anyway, it takes all of 20 extra seconds to put out enough line to touch the ground and saves wear and tear on the system? Unless your a bumbling idiot rapping should be no more risky than having to retie in and being lowered.

aimeerose

Feb 16, 2006, 5:37 AM
Post #23 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
whats wrong with rapping off?

Please read my previous posts. I don't feel like repeating myself.

Also, maybe take a look at Injuries and Accidents in North America and see how many accidents happen when experienced climbers rap off of sport routes. I've been at Red Rocks when this has happened- it's not pretty.

kalcario

Feb 16, 2006, 6:10 AM
Post #24 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless your a bumbling idiot rapping should be no more risky than having to retie in and being lowered.

Until something goes wrong...then it is much more dangerous, the main hazard being loss of consciousness while rapping as opposed to same while being lowered. The use of a rappel back-up device like a prusik knot merely trades one bad situation for another (unconscious rappeler now hanging from prusik knot). A belayer using a grigri is immunized from dropping the lowering climber through loss of consciousness because the grigri locks up. ATC's and rappeling are still de rigueur for multipitch, but for single pitch sport? No.

james_climber

Feb 16, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #25 of 161 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
omg, really? you mean gear left outside for public use wears out over time?

my vote for anchors:
http://www.aspenclimbingguides.com/images/anchor.jpg
those anchors are ok, but not directly to the rope , use biners , lockers

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook