RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

billcoe_

Jan 31, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Endurox and Accelerade - healing soft tissue damage QUESTION
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had read somebody spout off that they had a soft muscle/tissue ligament damage injury to the foot, and that rigorous use of Accelerade repaired that injury. (I did a search but couldn't find that post, might have been on another site).

Not to put an anonymous posters integrity into account, it sounds somewhat dubious to me, but I am asking if anybody has any anecdotal (or clinical) evidence of this effect happening?

FYI, I have a damaged ligament on the sole of my foot caused by climbing I'm trying to heal. One of the people I climb with does work at a hospital helping people overcome these injuries as a sports medicine type of dude.
He diagnosed it and gave a list of recommended actions.

1) Minimize climbing on it
2) Massage
3) Insoles for shoes to support it better.
4) Exercise which basically involves picking up towels and other objects with my toes.
5) Icing regimen for the foot after exercises (I forget exactly what he said, 20 min on, 5 min off repeat 3 times ?)
6) Ibuprofen

Finding #1 semi-difficult to put into effect, I bought a couple of cans at REI and am unable to quantify if it has helped at all given that I'm doing some of the other stuff. It is starting to feel a bit better.........after like 2 months, but it's still not there yet.

What does everyone else know?

JT, you there?

nodecaf

Jan 31, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Re: Endurox and Accelerade - healing soft tissue damage QUES [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Rigorous use of Accelerade..." I'm assuming you mean drinking it and not doing something stupid like soaking in it or using the powder as a poultice.

It was probably the generaous hydration that did the trick, if anything. Water would work just as well in that case.

aimeerose

Feb 23, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't see any physiological reason Accelerade would help you heal better, besides the fact that it provides nutrients and hydration. So, I think it would be cheaper to take a vitamin and drink a lot of water.

As for your foot injury, is it plantar fascitis? If so, there are some very specific stretches to do each morning that really help. If that's what it is, let me know and I'll find them for you.

guanoboy

Feb 23, 2006, 5:42 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know how to quickly post a photo in this message, but if you can find a medical type slide of cartlidge you will see that connective tissues, in general, is comprised of a single active cell surrounded by hundreds of times its own mass in matrix material. It takes a long time for each living cell to receive nutrition through that matrix and an even longer time for that cell to regenerate damaged matrix tissue. Anything greater than an anemic diet will allow the connective tissue to repair (slowly). On a related note, I've heard that recent studies have shown that chondroitin supplements don't do much to repair joints.

billcoe_

Feb 25, 2006, 1:45 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't see any physiological reason Accelerade would help you heal better, besides the fact that it provides nutrients and hydration. So, I think it would be cheaper to take a vitamin and drink a lot of water.

As for your foot injury, is it plantar fascitis? If so, there are some very specific stretches to do each morning that really help. If that's what it is, let me know and I'll find them for you.

Yes Aimeerose, he said thats exactly what is was except that it was the other ligament. Love to see the stretches you mentioned, and if you would post them here, maybe it will become part of RC.com permanent healing lore. Love to see them. BTW, I start out each morning by stretching my toes and foot out, followed by a few min of taking the other foot and rubbing the problem foot to simulate massage, a few more stretches and then I gingerly put weight on it.

I have take to keeping my shoes with the especial footpads in them right in the bathroom, so that as soon as I've taken a morning shower or bath, I'm putting them into support.

Also, I freeze a water bottle, and after finishing some easy (big holds -esp. for the feet) gym climbing, I plop the bare foot on it to ice it, followed by a whirlpool, more them more ice, all before dressing: and it helps.

Damn I'm such a pussy.

Guanoboy, I'm slow, could you repeat your point? I think it's probably important, don't mean to be dense, I just am. It sound like what you might be saying is that Accelerade would be of assistance, as it hydrates better than water. Sorry if that's not even close to your thoughts.

Posts the stretches aimeerose! Yeeeeahhhhh!

BTW: the worst part of the Accreleade is trying to choke the crap down, which I am getting better at.

wes_allen

Feb 25, 2006, 1:49 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BTW: the worst part of the Accreleade is trying to choke the crap down, which I am getting better at.

I agree. Try Cytomax by http://www.cytosport.com/ , they have it at many GNC's. I like the orange...

healyje

Feb 25, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill,

Bummer that is still happening. Ditto on my ring finger still being in the permanent Vulcan salute state. Jesus, this year we're going to be a pair dorks and have to ask Jim to rope gun for us...

billcoe_

Feb 25, 2006, 4:57 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi JH,

Yup, after thinking about your shoulder and finger issues, I really have nothing to complain about!

Foot is slowly getting better, it's hard to stay off of it, even bought a new pair of ski boots to facilitate the healing process...and they help too........some, but when you go up skiing 19 times (opps 20 if you count tommorrow, well, it's just dumb stuff. How do you stop when you have a 15 year old son and a season pass?

I think you try where you can, like peeling the boot and sock off apre ski, and standing in the snow barefoot to ice it down, staying on big holds whilst climbing. ...Really can't complain, it's all good.

BTW, ran into 2 of the Yosemite mates at the gym Tue, those dudes are still way hard, so somebody will ropegun for us later! :D

I'll bring the ice you bring the Ibuprofen or vice versa!

Joeseph, click on Aimmes link for some intersting shoulder stuff. http://www.climbinginjuries.com/

Aimee, I didn't see any Plantar Factitous info?

nonick

Feb 25, 2006, 5:07 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems to me that the original poster has a case of plantar fasciitis?

The towel ex etc. will definitely be of help in that case. I recommend getting it checked with a doc, coz recently I thought I had plantar fasciitis and did self treatment for the same. However on getting it checked I was told I had a stress fracture...

aimeerose

Feb 26, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This a good site with a picture of the intrinsic stretch- which is the one you should do every morning before you get out of bed.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/plantar/index.html

Also, click on the taping link. It might help you to tape it before you ski/climb. And you are wearing big climbing shoes right?

Good luck. When in doubt, some PTs specialize in feet and may be able to make you orthotics.

aimeerose

Feb 26, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
. Ditto on my ring finger still being in the permanent Vulcan salute state.

Hey, have you seen a doc about that finger? You have trigger finger and may need surgery. It's a bummer, but can you function with your finger that way?

billcoe_

Feb 27, 2006, 3:50 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This a good site with a picture of the intrinsic stretch- which is the one you should do every morning before you get out of bed.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/plantar/index.html

Also, click on the taping link. It might help you to tape it before you ski/climb. And you are wearing big climbing shoes right?

Good luck. When in doubt, some PTs specialize in feet and may be able to make you orthotics.

Aimee: mucho appreciated!

Yes I have been climbing on my old stiff board-lasted climbing shoes and taping first. It does help, as does the freezing a water bottle and rolling my foot on it afterwards. I have not taped for skiing yet, I might try that next time, but I don't think my foot will fit into the boot if I tape it. They are real snug performance boots......sigh.

It gradually is getting better so there's hope I'll be climbing come spring!

Now...Josephs finger, wow, thats a whole nother nut to crack. :D I'll let hime describe that.

Thanks again for the links and advice.

healyje

Feb 28, 2006, 1:15 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
. Ditto on my ring finger still being in the permanent Vulcan salute state.

Hey, have you seen a doc about that finger? You have trigger finger and may need surgery. It's a bummer, but can you function with your finger that way?

Aimeerose,

I got my right ring finger wrapped up in an out of control hand drill / cord last August. The main knuckle swelled up and the finger points toward the little finger on that hand. When I try to put all my fingers together on that hand there is still a quarter inch gap between my middle finger tip and that ring finger tip. It constantly feels like if I could pull it straight out hard enough it would fix it but I can't. I can pull down on holds fin, but slotting my hand in a vertical hand crack and weighting it is out of the question. Deflecting movements towards either adjacent finger is painful.

I had xrays and went to a good hand doc who measured the angles of all the joints involved. He said that main joint looked a bit arthritic but that the ligaments don't appear to be torn [completely] as the the joint seems relatively stable. He also didn't seem to feel he could operate. He thought the best thing would be shoot the joint with cortisone on a flouroscope for accuracy. He seems to be intimating that my finger was was always arthritic in the ways that pain me now and was always at a slight angle.

But my finger was absolutely fine prior to the accident, and for the life of me I don't remember my hand having the vulcan thing going on before. So to be honest I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out how to proceed. I don't have a problem getting the cortisone shot, but what I'd like is my finger back. Wish I was in you're neighborhood...

Joseph

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook