RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

billyf

Feb 27, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #1 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Climbers and Arthritis
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

do you know if climbers usually get arthritis there older ages :?:

Partner phaedrus

Feb 27, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from Suggestions, Questions & Feedback. to Injuries & Accidents.

Partner j_ung

Feb 27, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Re: ?????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Billy, you'll get way better responses if you change to title to something relevant. :)

dingus

Feb 27, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to recall the answer is 'no.' Arthritus is not caused by overuse injuries. If a parent has it then you are far more likely to develop it as well, than the average bloke.

That's not to say all those little insults you do to your hands don't add up to chronic pain, restricted motion and a propensity to reinjury. I know it has with me!

But it isn't arthritus... its chronic over use injury.

DMT

Partner phaedrus

Feb 27, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Title changed by Phaedrus with permission of author.

sspssp

Feb 27, 2006, 6:18 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I seem to recall the answer is 'no.' Arthritus is not caused by overuse injuries. If a parent has it then you are far more likely to develop it as well, than the average bloke.

It has a genetic component, but you can get it from injuries. I had a finger problem that I finally got x-rayed. It looked like a mouse had taken a small bite out of the second knuckle. The doctor described it as degenerative arthritis. My understanding was that if I had let it heal better before climbing regularly, it would not have degenerated as much.

dingus

Feb 27, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It has a genetic component, but you can get it from injuries. I had a finger problem that I finally got x-rayed. It looked like a mouse had taken a small bite out of the second knuckle. The doctor described it as degenerative arthritis. My understanding was that if I had let it heal better before climbing regularly, it would not have degenerated as much.

Does it run in your family? I'm sure climbing would excerbate it.

I specifically asked this q of my ortho while dealing with a concerning lump on the side of a knuckle and he said overuse injuries are not the cause of arthritus. I had to pay him a lot of dough for that opinion so I hope he's right!

Cheers
DMT

freakboy

Feb 27, 2006, 6:47 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers and Arthritis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no medical information to back-up this reply, however, a few of the older climbers that I climb with suffer from arthritis and they have indicated that climbing helps them maintain mobility in their hands. When they stop climbing for a while their arthritis starts to act up again...

jgill

Feb 28, 2006, 4:20 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Older climbers may indeed develop osteoarthritis. If you are lucky it will occur after many happy years on the rock, but it can appear earlier. Some gymnasts in their twenties are well on their way to degenerative disease.

I climbed and did some gymnastics for over 50 years before it caught up to me, and now I am exploring my last frontier as I experiment with how to deal with severe shoulder arthritis. Shoulder replacement does not seem to be a viable option for climbers. Gotta love that pain, baby!

I suspect more climbers will experience degenerative joint symptoms as time goes on, for the training techniques and very high difficulty standards of modern bouldering and sport climbing will take their toll. In this thread and others, younger climbers talk about difficulties with finger joints, wrists, and elbows - welcome to the tradeoff for superior efforts.

Of course, there will be some who will glide easily into middle age and old age with joints intact . . . those lucky bastards! 8^)

curt

Feb 28, 2006, 4:34 AM
Post #10 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Older climbers may indeed develop osteoarthritis. If you are lucky it will occur after many happy years on the rock, but it can appear earlier. Some gymnasts in their twenties are well on their way to degenerative disease.

I climbed and did some gymnastics for over 50 years before it caught up to me, and now I am exploring my last frontier as I experiment with how to deal with severe shoulder arthritis. Shoulder replacement does not seem to be a viable option for climbers. Gotta love that pain, baby!

I suspect more climbers will experience degenerative joint symptoms as time goes on, for the training techniques and very high difficulty standards of modern bouldering and sport climbing will take their toll. In this thread and others, younger climbers talk about difficulties with finger joints, wrists, and elbows - welcome to the tradeoff for superior efforts.

Of course, there will be some who will glide easily into middle age and old age with joints intact . . . those lucky bastards! 8^)

Which reminds me that I recently reread your article entitled Bouldering at 50, a Wayward Commitment. I find myself much in the same place now and just hope that injuries don't similarly manifest themselves and truncate my bouldering career.

Curt

whoa

Feb 28, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #11 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Radiographic osteoarthritis in the hands of rock climbers.

Rohrbough JT, Mudge MK, Schilling RC, Jansen C.

Orthopedic Surgery, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tuscon, Arizona, USA.

Sixty-five rock climbers were radiographically evaluated for osteoarthritis of the finger joints. Only long-time climbers were chosen for this study. The average years of climbing experience of these subjects was 19.8 (range, 8 to 39). The majority of the subjects had climbed at an elite level for many years. Plain radiographs of the hands were scored using the Kellgren-Lawrence scale and were compared with scores of an age-matched control group. An increased rate of osteoarthritis for several joints was found in the climber group; however, no significant difference in the overall prevalence of osteoarthritis was found between the two groups.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...839957&dopt=Abstract

billcoe_

Feb 28, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Some musings:

As there are over 100 types of arthritis, it's safe to assume that climbing could cause one of them. However, think about 2 generations back. Generally, in the US, 95% or more of the population was relegated to doing hard unrelenting manual labor on farms. Stopping for a little pain might mean that your family starves, and they all seemed to get through it.

Now, with improved nutrition, voluntary exercises and modern medicine, we pretty much should have minimal concerns about arthritis and repetitive stress type of issues. As climbers we can (if we DESIRE) just stop the activity.

Should be interesting to see this develop moving forward.

sspssp

Feb 28, 2006, 8:15 PM
Post #13 of 13 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Does it run in your family? I'm sure climbing would excerbate it.

I specifically asked this q of my ortho while dealing with a concerning lump on the side of a knuckle and he said overuse injuries are not the cause of arthritus. I had to pay him a lot of dough for that opinion so I hope he's right!

Cheers
DMT

It doesn't run in my family. Also, you keep refering to overuse injury. Mine was definitely an acute injury that I didn't let fully heal, so it turned into a chronic injury. Not sure if that matters.

He also specifically said it was "degenerative" arthritis. Which I took to mean that it was different than "run-of-the-mill" arthritis, but I guess I don't really know that for a fact.

Maybe one of the doctors on this site will chime in.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook