RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

katalyzt

Feb 28, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

finding a belay at the gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you find someone to belay you at the gym? I have a harness and I've been bouldering like mad around the gym for almost 2 months now so I don't look like a complete flop. I want to start climbing higher than 10 ft but I don't have a partner. Sadly to say I'm somewhat sociably shy so I can't bring myself to walk up to a random person and ask them if they will give me a belay. I'm afraid they'll say no, or they'll think I'm a puss because I've only passed my top rope safety test, or something like that. Is it common for people to show up without a belay partner and just ask somebody to belay them, or do they usually bring a belay partner?

Hmmm... Maybe if I just tie in and start climbing somebody will snatch up the other end for me... :shock: :)

bhall

Feb 28, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Re: finding a belay at the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does your gym have a website? Mine has a site that you can sign up with for climbing partners. Other than that you will just have to man up and ask someone. 9.5 times out of 10 most people will be glad to belay you.

Partner lagarita

Feb 28, 2006, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sadly to say I'm somewhat sociably shy so I can't bring myself to walk up to a random person and ask them if they will give me a belay. I'm afraid they'll say no, or they'll think I'm a puss because I've only passed my top rope safety test, or something like that.
That's exactly what you need to do unless you can talk one of your non-climbing friends into taking the intro class at your gym... which usually doesn't work out.
In reply to:
]Is it common for people to show up without a belay partner and just ask somebody to belay them, or do they usually bring a belay partner?
I do it all the time...and I'm am definitely not an outgoing person.
In reply to:
]
Hmmm... Maybe if I just tie in and start climbing somebody will snatch up the other end for me... :shock: :)
please don't try this option.

my $.02
Sean

rocketsocks

Feb 28, 2006, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, too easy. Is this really such a complex problem?

Try this. If you want to get a belay partner find someone who's climbing alone, maybe chat with them a bit, and ask them if they would like a belay from you. More often than not, if they are interested in top-roping (and have a harness) they will say yes, and more often than not they'll return the favor and belay you in turn.

Also, you might want to get into the habit of talking with the other people at the gym, this should be easy, they're usually a good natured lot (in my, limited, experience).

P.S. If you're really nervous about just walking up to someone and offering them a belay, make up some excuse (which may even be real). For example: "I'm pumped out, want me to belay you while I rest?"

katalyzt

Feb 28, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ah damn you all confirmed my fears...

I guess it's time to suck it up and be sociable 8^)

musicman1586

Feb 28, 2006, 9:57 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climbing community, whether outside or in the gym, tends to be very open and helpful, so don't be afraid to just walk up and start hanging out with people. Don't let how people act on this site scare you away from climbers either :lol:

tonypurmal

Feb 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your best bet will be to suck it up and talk to people. That's a skill you can use outside the gym as well once you master it.

Outside of doing that, I think it really depends on the atmosphere and clientele of the gym. When I climb at Mission Cliffs in San Francisco, I often go without a partner and on the weekday evenings I go, I can usually get a partner within half an hour. They have a great system there where they'll announce that someone is looking for a partner and most of the time you can get a partner that way.

25 miles down the peninsula at Planet Granite in Belmont it's like pulling teeth to get a partner without talking to folks. They have a board on the wall and you put your name there and see if anyone comes and finds you while you're bouldering. Then again the clientele in Belmont seems to be a bit more cliquish than the San Francisco crowd and less people come in without partners. It's pretty much the same way another 15 miles down at Planet Granite Santa Clara.

Another way to find a partner is to post something here on the appropriate Partners forum. You could also see if your gym has a notice board and post something there.

Good luck finding a partner.

Cheers,

Tony

tagaustatoppen

Feb 28, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When it comes to gym climbing I think that all you need is to ask. When we go to the gym there are generally three of us. Just find the people that are not paired up and see if they will climb with you. You know that you have something in common with everyone else in the place, you and they want to get to the top. When people are in 3's you are not able to climb as much. We go as 3 expecting that someone there will climb with one of use.

roshiaitareya

Feb 28, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could borrow my "Got Belay?" tshirt.

korntera

Mar 1, 2006, 1:09 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If i am feeling shy I will boulder with my harness and ATC on and usually somebody will ask if I want to get on a rope. If I am not shy that day I will stand by the wall with my harness and ATC and look around for somebody without a partner. The main thing that I get worried about is a n00b who thinks they can belay, do you really trust your life in a strangers hands? Whenever I do meet a new belay partner I get on an easy route that I won't fall on and watch them belay me so that I know they are confident at it bfore getting on harder stuff and start taking falls.

bastien

Mar 1, 2006, 1:26 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I have to admit, this is a problem I still have after going to the gym for months; I hate asking if people need a 3rd. I always have the feeling that they are thinking, "Is this guy gonna let me deck?" The good news is, after a while, you will have built up an amount of people that you have worked with, and it gets easier.

The other end of the spectrum is this; when I see someone who has that same 'I sure would like to get off of these auto-belays' look on thier face, I go up to them to see if they'd like to join. I guess its the first part in that kharmic circle thing.

Take a deep breath, suck in your pride, and go ask. The worst they can say is no, and there are lots more out there. Kinda like dating.

docburner

Mar 1, 2006, 7:45 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think most gyms you can do one of two things:
1. put your name on a board that says you want a climbing partner and you are here wearing the tie dye pink shirt.
2. go to the front desk and tell them you want a partner and they will announce it over the pa.

option 2 is better 99% of the time.

thetroutscout

Mar 1, 2006, 8:57 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What gym do you climb at? I'll be your friend and climb with you. I'm societally inept too so it might work out. I usually trust people in the gym. At least where I've been they require and enforce a belay test which takes a certain degree of knowledge. I don't think I've ever turned or have been turned down by a friendly offer at the gym. I've declined before outdoor when I've questioned the anchor but that's not an issue inside. You can usually tell those that just want to climb and those that are looking for a partner. Do you catch a fellow climber looking your way and when you make eye contact you both look away? Bouldering with a harness on is a sure sign. Or just tie in and wait. Climbing alone is fun but I learned so much from climbing with people at the gym who were better and had more experience. Seriously though, which gym are you at?

^^ike

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook